What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sounds Like Sefo Is Hurt ....but How Bad ?

I've read that his injury before last night would not get any worse and that its just a matter of playing through pain.

However, that pain makes him sail balls way too high. Should have rested against Nichols in my opinion.

He's not bad at all. I just hate the fact he always misses the big open targets down field.

So why did he play vs Nichols?
Cause he is probably a competitor and wants to play no matter what. At some point he has to realize he can't keep getting banged up. And Mac has to step in and tell him he can't play. I thought him playing against Nichols was very very dumb.

The coaches have clearly decided that a hobbled Sefo is still our best option at QB. That's on them, so I don't want to hear the injury excuse anymore.

Cause he is probably a competitor and wants to play no matter what. At some point he has to realize he can't keep getting banged up. And Mac has to step in and tell him he can't play. I thought him playing against Nichols was very very dumb.

Yeah I don't get it either. It seems clear that he's injured and has been for awhile. The staff willingly rested numerous other starters vs Nichols, but not Sefo. I just don't get that.

No one is questioning Sefo's toughness.

No one with any sense can question his toughness.

I wish he'd just loosen up, look like he's having fun, and uncork it. Most of his issues, I think, are from playing tight and trying too hard to avoid mistakes. He's a count too long going through his read progressions. He's a count too long on his release when he chooses a receiver. He too often tries to throw a perfect pass where only his guy could catch it even when he's got a wide open guy he could just hit by pinning the ball on his chest.

If that's true, I'm really upset with our coaching staff. If they're trying to save their asses and putting Sefo's health in jeopardy that's bush league.

Reactions: SBG
No one is questioning Sefo's toughness.

No one with any sense can question his toughness.

I wish he'd just loosen up, look like he's having fun, and uncork it. Most of his issues, I think, are from playing tight and trying too hard to avoid mistakes. He's a count too long going through his read progressions. He's a count too long on his release when he chooses a receiver. He too often tries to throw a perfect pass where only his guy could catch it even when he's got a wide open guy he could just hit by pinning the ball on his chest.

I respect Sefo a lot. He got dumped in after Wood failed with little preparation and less talent around him and told to save the program.

My fear is that that experience along with our continuing problems in terms of protection and placing him in forced passing situations has already ingrained bad habits that he will not be able to overcome. He plays like he expects to be hit, like he expects not to have time, like he knows that the pocket won't be there.

Now even when he does have protection his internal clock tells him to get the ball out of there. He doesn't take the time to set up and step through his throws, he doesn't make the multiple reads and he doesn't wait for patterns to develop.

I know that lots of people are now calling for Montez. At this point doing that would only serve to put him in the same position as Sefo has found himself in.

The coaches botched the Nicholls game. Plain and simple. That was a golden opportunity to get backups most or all of the reps and instead they had Sefo playing into the second half. Stupid.

@MtnBuff - I don't see it that way at all. I rarely remember thinking that Sefo was rushing throws. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Reactions: SBG
@MtnBuff - I don't see it that way at all. I rarely remember thinking that Sefo was rushing throws. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I can see what you are talking about on some plays, on those it looks like he is afraid to let it rip because he is afraid of the INT.

Bottom line as you mention he doesn't play like a guy who is having fun. He doesn't play like a guy who is relaxed and confident.

He looks like a guy who expects something bad to happen.

I do feel for Sefo - he's going to end up like Cody where there are people who "hate" him for the sins of the coaching staff. All the kid has done is do everything we've asked of him and more, but the staff has let him down.

Agreed. I've been down on him. He is what he is. The fact that he is playing in the 3rd against Nicholls with a bum shoulder. The fact that the staff hasn't been able to recruit over him; the fact that he has no OL or an awesome RB (we have some serviceable guys and I like Lindsay); the fact that our WRs are fast, but don't seem to run great routes outside of Spruce or are a bit scrawny or undersized.

That all falls on the coaching staff.

I'm pretty much done with them. Sefo could be fine if any of the other parts of the offense was clicking. They aren't. Coaching is our problem.

Jared Goff was thrown into a dumpster fire and went 1-11 as a freshman. Last year 5-7 and now he is 5-0. Sefo is clearly not Goff. And we are clearly not Cal sadly.

Should have thrown Montez into the flames. In hindsight, MM will conclude the same if he is fired.

The coaches botched the Nicholls game. Plain and simple. That was a golden opportunity to get backups most or all of the reps and instead they had Sefo playing into the second half. Stupid.

Agree. And they should have settled on Apsay as the guy to get those snaps. Entire 2nd half. Or even Montez. Just as Nany programs have done with True Frosh they expect to compete in year 2. If they think he will be in mix by next year.

Given how bad Nichols was we could have started Aspay or Gerhke and still won by 35. Let Sefo have another full week of rest and let someone else start getting much needed game day snaps.

If Sefo is really hurt, put Aspay in and see what he can do. That's a very big if, though. Under no circumstance do you put Montez in. Burning that redshirt would be criminal.

Sefo is what he is. We lost to a talented team last night.

Not playing apsay at Nicholls the whole second half was criminally stupid. The time is going to come this year when it is clear sefo should sit. For some it's no longer a question.

If Sefo is really hurt, put Aspay in and see what he can do. That's a very big if, though. Under no circumstance do you put Montez in. Burning that redshirt would be criminal.

Sefo is what he is. We lost to a talented team last night.

I'm with you, but if they do bring in Montez it's his job. None of this will he or won't he play this week garbage like we got under Hawk.

Just an FYI, the guys who go to practice frequently and watch the players are not very high on Apsay. They may be wrong or it may be group think, but there seems to be a consensus there that he is not a player at this level.

Just an FYI, the guys who go to practice frequently and watch the players are not very high on Apsay. They may be wrong or it may be group think, but there seems to be a consensus there that he is not a player at this level.

They also loved Gehrke from watching practices. I value their opinions, but at the same time there is a world of difference between what shows up in practice and what shows up in live action. Apsay has shined in all scrimmage and game situations we have seen, while Gehrke has not.

They also loved Gehrke from watching practices. I value their opinions, but at the same time there is a world of difference between what shows up in practice and what shows up in live action. Apsay has shined in all scrimmage and game situations we have seen, while Gehrke has not.

Yeah, he could be a gamer and not a practice player. I'm all for giving him an opportunity, just tempering expectations. Everyone on the board seems to be cognizant of the backup QB syndrome.

Oh, and Gehrke is definitely not the guy.

Yeah, he could be a gamer and not a practice player. I'm all for giving him an opportunity, just tempering expectations. Everyone on the board seems to be cognizant of the backup QB syndrome.

Oh, and Gehrke is definitely not the guy.

For the record, I don't think Apsay is the answer or that he should challenge Sefo for the QB1 job. I just think he should be QB2 and start getting some snaps so that he's more ready if Sefo were to go down.

It's foolish to expect a starting QB to make it through a season without missing at least some time due to injury. Sefo is tough but he isn't superman, needing a back-up QB for important minutes or even games should be expected.

Apsay may not be a future starter for us, I'm fine with that. What I do know is that Gerke isn't either and to me seems pretty marginal even as a back-up. It makes sense to see if we can develop Apsay into at least a quality sub for the future and that does mean getting some meaningful snaps and running the real offense, not just burning clock.

We need to give uncle Rico a chance. Back in high school he could throw the ball a quarter mile.
Clear over w mountain

At this point, you can put in Apsay since liufau is hurt. You don't have any controversy and we'already losing, so it's not like there's really any risk. If he performs, keep him in. If he doesn't, oh well. Gherke- no.

Back