What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sounds Like Sefo Is Hurt ....but How Bad ?

I have always been a big Sefo supporter, that said we have seen everything he has in his bag, there are no magic tricks left. At some point VERY soon Mike Mac needs to dance with the date he brought to the dance ? or Rick George Is going to find his own date and dance with him.

A QB who can be a game changer is almost a prerequisite. Even Sefo supporters, and I am too, confess he is, at best, a game manager. So what to do?

he just needs to find the open deep receivers more often.

The first two seasons he was hitting some deep balls very nicely. This year he isn't even attempting them.
I don't know if he's attempting shorter throws to try and keep his completion % high? If he even attempted a long ball
once every 8 downs that'd open up the running game a bit more and he'd hit a few of them and make some big plays.

If we could consistently gain 4-5 yards on a 1st down run would also help. 2nd down play calling has also been poor imho, too many 3rd down obvious passing plays.

42 pass attempts and 13 rushes for Sefo. Other than the goal line run for a TD, I don't think the other runs were called that way.

OL has to be better going forward and allow Lindgren to call running plays so as not to put the whole offense on an injured Sefo's back.

42 pass attempts and 13 rushes for Sefo. Other than the goal line run for a TD, I don't think the other runs were called that way.

OL has to be better going forward and allow Lindgren to call running plays so as not to put the whole offense on an injured Sefo's back.

According to Sefo at his presser today, shoulder no longer a factor. Obviously not sure if true or not.

According to Sefo at his presser today, shoulder no longer a factor. Obviously not sure if true or not.

Glad he's saying that. It's great gamesmanship for ASU.

If he wasn't injured, I'd expect that he would say he was still hurt in order to sandbag them.

Glad he's saying that. It's great gamesmanship for ASU.

If he wasn't injured, I'd expect that he would say he was still hurt in order to sandbag them.

Likely. He is entering the estimated recovery period for a Grade 1 sprained AC joint though, so who knows.

I think teams know that we won't run an actual read option, or at least have no fear if it is there. I am thinking with Sefo's injury the coaches are telling Sefo to not keep it. Not sure I can point to him keeping it on a read option in the last 2-3 weeks.

I think teams know that we won't run an actual read option, or at least have no fear if it is there. I am thinking with Sefo's injury the coaches are telling Sefo to not keep it. Not sure I can point to him keeping it on a read option in the last 2-3 weeks.
The last TD v Oregon was how the damn read option is supposed to be run (granted, it was on a sweep, but it was a nice play). Sefo willed the team to a TD on that drive.

A QB who can be a game changer is almost a prerequisite. Even Sefo supporters, and I am too, confess he is, at best, a game manager. So what to do?
To compete in the PAC12, that is an absolute certainty. What to do? Hope the Montez hype pans out and he really competes for the job next year...that's all I got.

The last TD v Oregon was how the damn read option is supposed to be run (granted, it was on a sweep, but it was a nice play). Sefo willed the team to a TD on that drive.
Yeah, just watched the replay tonight and forgot that it was a read option. Hopefully we see more of those as we need the defenses to at least be some what worried they could give up yards/points on these plays, otherwise its worthless.

Sefo is a good QB. The split personality between his play this year and last is all about the 'personality' of the O-line and how Lindgren chooses to address O-line deficiencies.

Our offensive line was weak last year and Lindgren/Sefo made it look good. Per Lindgren tutelage, last year Sefo read the defense before the snap, locked onto a receiver prior to the snap and got the ball out of his hands before he could ever get sacked. He did not use his feet to make plays! This led to a good short yardage passing game and almost no sacks. The O-line got credit they didn't deserve.

Our offensive line seemed slightly better this year. Lindgren instructed Sefo (who himself was dying to make real-time reads) to let plays develop. Problem is that the offensive line did not improve nearly enough. Result: A seemingly better run game against poor competition (blocks allowed to develop) at the expense of an unreliable passing game, lots of sacks and a QB WHO IS GATHERING INJURIES.

Solution: Sefo NEEDS to make a read before the snap. Sefo NEEDS to decide who his guy is before the play starts. Sefo NEEDS to get the ball out of his hands before the pass rush can cover the ground from where they are to where he is. Spruce is the perfect possession receiver for this kind of play...he can get open in a split second. That's why he was great last year.

Re-institute last years offense. It was a stop-gap measure that we still need until our O-line is truly there.

Look at the difference in Oregon from last year to this. A quarterback can make a huge difference and carry his team. Sefo does not do that. That said, I'm assuming his injuries are part of the problem.

Look at the difference in Oregon from last year to this. A quarterback can make a huge difference and carry his team. Sefo does not do that. That said, I'm assuming his injuries are part of the problem.

Mariota is recognized as one of college football's great QBs. Recall how bad he looked last year when they lost tackle Jake Fisher; a loss to Arizona and a near loss to lowly WSU. Without a decent Oline no QB looks good. Sefo has never had an Oline.

For those of you with a Rivals sub, I am sure you have seen the thread from CL34. He shows numerous examples of Sefo's failure to hit wide open receivers in all of our games this year. Makes you want to cry....

For those of you with a Rivals sub, I am sure you have seen the thread from CL34. He shows numerous examples of Sefo's failure to hit wide open receivers in all of our games this year. Makes you want to cry....
I'd say he was off on about half of those, or overstated the case. Doesn't mean sefo isn't missing guys, but it's not quite as bad as he suggested.

Maybe. But he also did not include several others that I recall from every game.

Maybe. But he also did not include several others that I recall from every game.
Oh, I'm sure there are more, I remember a few as well. But without looking at them closely, pretty hard to credit my whiskey fueled memory.

You have to remember that the ability to survey the field from ground level is much different than what you can see from your seat. Just because a guy is wide open doesn't mean sefo can always see him.

You have to remember that the ability to survey the field from ground level is much different than what you can see from your seat. Just because a guy is wide open doesn't mean sefo can always see him.
It also doesn't mean that the wide open guy was Sefo's 1st or even 2nd read and just blatantly missed him. Does he ever have the time to get to his 3rd, 4th and 5th reads?

It also doesn't mean that the wide open guy was Sefo's 1st or even 2nd read and just blatantly missed him. Does he ever have the time to get to his 3rd, 4th and 5th reads?

Thats an issue where the coaches need to work on him reading the field faster. Its not where it should be at this point in his career. But when Bobo is running free down the far sideline and is Sefo's 4th read, its not Sefo's fault that he doesn't see him.

Thats an issue where the coaches need to work on him reading the field faster. Its not where it should be at this point in his career. But when Bobo is running free down the far sideline and is Sefo's 4th read, its not Sefo's fault that he doesn't see him.
Correct.

But when Bobo is running free down the far sideline and is Sefo's 4th read, its not Sefo's fault that he doesn't see him.

Really? I'm not a QB expert or a coach. I'm not trying to be a dick or argue with you, but I would assume that a good, three year starting D1 QB should be able to see a receiver running free down the sideline no matter where in the progression that receiver falls. Am I way off base here?

Really? I'm not a QB expert or a coach. I'm not trying to be a **** or argue with you, but I would assume that a good, three year starting D1 QB should be able to see a receiver running free down the sideline no matter where in the progression that receiver falls. Am I way off base here?

If the play is broken, and the QB is hunting for a WR then definitely, the QB should find him. But in the progression, if WR 1 is open, Sefo is supposed to throw to WR 1.

If the play is broken, and the QB is hunting for a WR then definitely, the QB should find him. But in the progression, if WR 1 is open, Sefo is supposed to throw to WR 1.

Except for at least part of the time he should recognize pre-snap that someone is going to be open. I think he is almost always surprised by what he sees. This causes him to make throws when he is not ready to make throws which leads to mistakes. When things happen in rhythm he is ok, but if he has to depend on what he sees, he is in trouble

I also think he has lost the ability he had his freshman year and early last year to play free. He hears footsteps on just about every play whether they are there or not. The same thing happened to Wood to be honest. He was great until real bullets started flying and then he started feeling pressure on every play. For another example see Carr, David.

Except for at least part of the time he should recognize pre-snap that someone is going to be open. I think he is almost always surprised by what he sees. This causes him to make throws when he is not ready to make throws which leads to mistakes. When things happen in rhythm he is ok, but if he has to depend on what he sees, he is in trouble

I also think he has lost the ability he had his freshman year and early last year to play free. He hears footsteps on just about every play whether they are there or not. The same thing happened to Wood to be honest. He was great until real bullets started flying and then he started feeling pressure on every play. For another example see Carr, David.

Disagree. If the 1st read on the play given to the offense is open, you go with that read. You don't wait and check your other 4 to see if any of them are open.

Disagree all you want. If in pre-snap you see somebody uncovered or a clear mismatch you are going there with the ball whether that is the first read or the 5th. There are situations where you see something pre-snap and you throw it there even if you have a run play called.

Thanks. Is this a limitation of Lindgen's offense, Sefo's limitations, or just the way it is? Is a good QB not surveying the entire field while going through his progressions? Honest question, I don't know.

Admittedly, I'm making this simpler than it is and not taking all variables into account (pressure, field position, down and distance, etc.) and probably looking at it more from a basketball perspective.

If Dom is bringing the ball upcourt and the start of the play is to pass the ball to Fletcher on the wing, I'm gonna be pissed if Dom passes to a wide open Fletch on the wing even though the opposing center fell down and Josh is cutting wide open to the basket for a lay-up or alley-oop.

Back