What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams Coordinator - Suggest Candidates

I'd love to know the details here. Because all I do know is that Chuck Nienas is responsible for Chuck Long at SDSU and Dan Hawkins at CU being on Bohn's resume. On the surface, Bohn should have lost that phone number a long time ago if he had any sense at all. There's something going on behind the scenes. Bohn must owe him for his own career or something.

Well, nobody's going to bat 1.000 as a consultant in his business. His rep still got him the Big 12 interim job, and 2011 went really well for them under his watch.

That said, hiring his son is pretty under-whelming, and I wonder what kind of phone calls were made in his favor.

Last edited:
Well, nobody's going to bat 1.000 as a consultant in his business. His rep still got him the Big 12 interim job, and 2011 went really well for them under his watch.

That said, hiring his son is pretty under-whelming, and I wonder what kind of phone calls were made in his favor.

I understand the rep and he seems to be very highly respected. But if my two biggest career blunders occurred from listening to a particular consultant, I wouldn't give that consultant the time of day. I don't think I'm unusual on that. It's just weird to me that Neinas has stayed as close to the CU athletic department as he has.

But that's Chuck.

Regarding Toby Nienas, I'd like to know more about what went on after the 2010 season. Because when I look at his New Mexico bio I see him being special teams coordinator at SDSU for 3 years, going to New Mexico for the same position + linebackers, and then being stripped of the special teams title after his 2nd year at UNM.

This is rather underwhelming. I was hoping at least for a proven recruiter in this position. I wonder if he'll be helping Baer with the linebackers as well.

Posted by jslbuffs on rivals "THIS IS OUR AD FORCING HIS NEW HIRE TO TAKE ON A BUDDY'S SON FOR HIM. Another great decision by our AD for the football program. Oh yah "go buffs."

Hopefully just conjecture

I understand the rep and he seems to be very highly respected. But if my two biggest career blunders occurred from listening to a particular consultant, I wouldn't give that consultant the time of day. I don't think I'm unusual on that. It's just weird to me that Neinas has stayed as close to the CU athletic department as he has.

But that's Chuck.

Regarding Toby Nienas, I'd like to know more about what went on after the 2010 season. Because when I look at his New Mexico bio I see him being special teams coordinator at SDSU for 3 years, going to New Mexico for the same position + linebackers, and then being stripped of the special teams title after his 2nd year at UNM.

Neinas was involved when CU was looking for a new AD and ultimately hired Bohn so I can see why they may be close. Also Neinas' consulting company is located in Gunbarrel so I'm sure proximity has something to do with his seemingly close ties to CU.

Disappointed that we did not make a bigger splash with this hire.
Neinas may turn out to be fine, but it looks like there were many other more qualified candidates.

Bad, bad hire on paper. Red flags with coach mac already appearing

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I think everyone needs to chill a little bit. Yes, it's not the greatest hire or one we were hoping to make. But we must also remember that we are, in the eyes of most, a horrendous team. So going out and picking whatever assistants we want just isn't a luxury we have at the moment..

Never read this before, but it's from a few years ago about Neinas, Bohn, and the fees and favors that seem to follow:

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/08/the-old-boys-network-is-alive-and-well.html

When Bohn left for Colorado in 2005 (another $39,051.18 paycheck for Neinas), San Diego State hired Jeff Schemmel as his replacement ($30,000, plus expenses, for Neinas). Schemmel was a senior administrator at Minnesota when it was embroiled in a massive academic fraud case, one of the most notorious scandals in NCAA history. An independent investigation identified Schemmel as one of four administrators responsible for a lack of institutional control, but he somehow kept his job until Neinas found him a soft landing spot at San Diego State.

Schemmel returned the favor later that year by hiring Neinas for the search that resulted in the hiring of Chuck Long as football coach. Neinas sent an unitemized $30,000 bill to the university for his work in securing Long, who then returned the favor by hiring Toby Neinas, Chuck's son, as tight ends coach at a salary of $108,000.

During his first season at UNM, Neinas coached two all-MWC selections in P Adam Miller and LB Carmen Messina. Messina led the nation in tackles with 162 stops as a sophomore in 2009. He was first team all-league again in 2010, pacing the MWC with 115 stops.Neinas came to UNM after three seasons (2006-08) at Mountain West Conference member San Diego State.
Neinas was the Aztecs' special teams coordinator all three seasons. He also coached outside linebackers in 2008 and tight ends in 2006-07.
In 2007, San Diego State tight ends combined for 38 catches for 310 yards and two scores, a year after the position produced just 10 catches for 107 yards. Neinas mentored Tyler Schmitt, who was the only long snapper taken in the 2008 NFL Draft. Schmitt was a sixth-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks.
San Diego State punter Michael Hughes earned honorable mention All-America honors in 2007 and ranked 13th nationally with a 43.9-yards punting average.

http://www.golobos.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/neinas_toby00.html

This is rather underwhelming. I was hoping at least for a proven recruiter in this position. I wonder if he'll be helping Baer with the linebackers as well.

Maybe this hire will pay off in recruiting battles down the road. When Mike MacIntyre is firing all of his SJSU coaches after a subpar season three (or they are getting hire away by Oregon & Alabama), there is a ready-made Rolodex at his disposal right inside the Dal Ward to recruit coaches.

Or....if CU ever wants back into the Big 12...j/k.

Just trying to spin some lemonade here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to know the details here. Because all I do know is that Chuck Nienas is responsible for Chuck Long at SDSU and Dan Hawkins at CU being on Bohn's resume. On the surface, Bohn should have lost that phone number a long time ago if he had any sense at all. There's something going on behind the scenes. Bohn must owe him for his own career or something.
Chuck Neinas was Exec. Dir. of CFA from 1980-1997. Mike Bohn was Marketing at CFA from 1992-95. Chuck had a hand in Bohn's jobs at SDSU and Colorado. Chuck hired Bohn at CFA. I don't know what, if any Chuck had in Bohn's hire at Idaho. Looks like payback to me. The good old boy network at it's finest.

I laid off MB after MikMac was hired. But it is clear, the guy is a politician first and foremost...the results show it too.

Albuquerque Journal
Messina Named First-Team All-MWC
.....New Mexico linebacker Carmen Messina led the MWC with 142 tackles this season.....
He credited Toby Neinas, UNM’s linebackers coach and later its defensive coordinator, with spending time with Messina in the film room, ....

Tried to find out why he is only listed as LB coach for 2011. It is not clear, but looks like he got promoted to interm DC when Locksley was fired.

Definitely was hoping a few more recruiters that I would be excited about on this staff. Of course, I was really pumped about all the good recruiters that were announce with the last staff and that obviously did not work out. The jury is out for me. Will just have to see how the team performs on the field over the next few years. The waiting is going to be a bugger.

I seriously doubt that the Neinas hire is some behind the doors payback between Bohn and Chuck Neinas. I really don't see MacIntyre allowing Bohn to pick his staff.

Disappointed that we did not make a bigger splash with this hire.
Neinas may turn out to be fine, but it looks like there were many other more qualified candidates.
A "bigger splash" for a special teams coach?

I don't really care what he did with TE's or LB's since he is apparently ST coach only. Posting punter stats doesn't really make sense either since those guys don't get any real coaching anyways. I'd much rather see positive info on Kick/punt return and defense stats

Proven recruiters..... You really mean guys who have won accolades for recruiting big names which means they were at BCS schools AND were recognized for it.

By that definition there are no proven recruiters at WAC schools for example. But that is not true. There are great recruiters at ALL levels, they just are not publicized. You don't have to beat USC for a recruit when you are at West Podunk. And you won't get recognized unless you are doing it at a BCS school.

So how many recognized great recruiters are there? Rivals named Denver Johnson as one this year. My point? Who knows yet who the best recruiters are? Besides a few here and there like Josh Lupoi etc... Are there a lot more than we have heard about?

Last edited:
Since Tini seems to be impressed with Neinas' stints at San Diego State and New Mexico, it should be noted those teams went a combined 12-60.

That is not a typo.

Since Tini seems to be impressed with Neinas' stints at San Diego State and New Mexico, it should be noted those teams went a combined 12-60.

That is not a typo.

No I was simply copying and pasting his bio. Nothing more. Nothing less. You really need to work on not trying to put words in my mouth because you've been way off base for a while now.

Maybe you could post your own thoughts on the hire. Copying and pasting fluff from his bios adds nothing to the conversation.

Taking his whole career into account, aggregate record of teams he has coached on:

67-144 and a whopping three winning seasons in 17 years. Holy hell.

A "bigger splash" for a special teams coach?

A bigger splash would be:
Tim Brewster, Kennedy Polamalu, Mike Haywood or Jamie Christian.

We only had two coaches not from SJSU to hire to the staff. I like Walters a lot. I think Neinas is a question mark. I was hoping for the final coach named to the staff to be higher profile than the Montana State DB coach. He could be good. I hope so. I hope that MacIntyre interviewed a bunch of coaches and found Neinas to be the best. I hope he is a special teams guru. Now we just have to wait and see.

Back