What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams

I'm seriously semi-serious. I was as much a critic of Nienas as anybody, but our ST under him were better than this year. I am laughing, because I can't believe I am saying this, but its kind-of true.

I think that any ST coach will usually look bad at the beginning of the season because they have to take all the freshman and guys who don't get many snaps...all the guys that make mistakes...and make functional units of them. Nienas always looked bad at the beginning of the year - probably even worse than he should have...but his **** usually looked pretty sharp by Oct.

Maybe we should have hired another ST coach. I realize we only get something like 9. Do we really need a Tight End coach?

So lets look at what has been bad with ST's this year. Our best kicker got hurt and is missing the season. That is why we have had trouble with touch backs and with FG's. Chris Graham has always struggled on FG's and wasn't supposed to be kicking this year. Price is a true freshman walk on and also was not supposed to be kicking this year. Punting had one bad game, but since then has been good. Punt return has had one bad game, but other wise has been fine. Punt coverage had one bad game, but has otherwise been fine. Kickoff coverage has been pretty good.

We have trouble at place kicker/kickoffs. Won't argue there, but otherwise we really aren't that bad.

So lets look at what has been bad with ST's this year. Our best kicker got hurt and is missing the season. That is why we have had trouble with touch backs and with FG's. Chris Graham has always struggled on FG's and wasn't supposed to be kicking this year. Price is a true freshman walk on and also was not supposed to be kicking this year. Punting had one bad game, but since then has been good. Punt return has had one bad game, but other wise has been fine. Punt coverage had one bad game, but has otherwise been fine. Kickoff coverage has been pretty good.

We have trouble at place kicker/kickoffs. Won't argue there, but otherwise we really aren't that bad.

Thanks for indulging me: Some of the bad kicks seem due to timing and I think that is on the snapper and holder and kicker. I realize that the Price was right and Graham crumbles like the cracker, but we are talking about extra points and 20yard field-goals when we are way ahead and at home. Would love to see Kinney get more time to get it off. By the end of last year I thought he was going to be a stud. Those kicks where beauties. In 2016 his punts have been line drives. I think he fears for his life 'cause he puts on the hurry up two-step. Can we get him some regression therapy over the Michigan experience, or some bio feedback, or a Bret Favre copper woven jock-strap? Isn't that **** part of the ST coach job description? Kick-off coverage has been good, punt coverage was good against ASU and OSU and probably will be good against ?SU. Last but not least; special teams isn't a weapon for us, just a liability.

The 'maybe we shouldn't have fired Nienas' was for shock value and I am sorry for that...but shoul'dnt we have hired a ST coach?

Missed FGs, and even an extra point or two a season, happen. They are usually forgivable mistakes, IMO. Blocked punts, muffed punts, long returns, and punting the ball into the line are errors that are much more likely to turn a game. Well, I've actually only seen the latter happen once in my life. But it definitely helped turn that game.

Is it time to admit that firing Nienas was a bad idea?
I know you're joking, but no. A trained monkey would have been an improvement over Neinas. Seriously, we are better on special teams without even having a dedicated ST coach.

It's pretty common to have Special Teams coaching shared with another coaching duty. But the point is, the person in charge of ST has to take it seriously, not pretend that improvement happens all by itself.

I'm pretty sure Chev is the special teams coach. He gets a pass because of his recruiting prowess.
images

Back