What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer's future..

I think a lot of people are being silly when they talk about whether an athlete should turn pro or not.

We get a lot of big money enterprises feeding us a propaganda campaign about this and we also get emotional about the college we cheer for.

And this somehow makes some of us forget the core issue here.

Just ask yourself this question: If at any time in your life, if someone would have told you that you could have your dream job and be paid millions of dollars to do it, was there ever a time you would have refused because you wanted to spend another year in your current situation?
That's a very good way of putting it Nik. The only way I could see turning down that type of thing is for family considerations, which would be very tough with life-altering money, so even then the answer is still likely no. Granted these guys are mostly 19-20 and they'll be playing somewhere else anyways.

I used to think they shouldn't go pro -- it was selfish, earn the degree. But I've come around especially since their stock could drop if they stay.

That's a very good way of putting it Nik. The only way I could see turning down that type of thing is for family considerations, which would be very tough with life-altering money, so even then the answer is still likely no. Granted these guys are mostly 19-20 and they'll be playing somewhere else anyways.

I used to think they shouldn't go pro -- it was selfish, earn the degree. But I've come around especially since their stock could drop if they stay.

See: Roby, Richard.

The mayor was very clear on his intentions this summer. If he's a first round pick he'll go, if not he will stay. He's going to be a first rounder unless something happens, so enjoy his last year.

See: Roby, Richard.

The mayor was very clear on his intentions this summer. If he's a first round pick he'll go, if not he will stay. He's going to be a first rounder unless something happens, so enjoy his last year.
I've only referenced him so many times here, I don't want to sound like a broken record. Even if it's not first rounder, he should probably go. The only thing that would get me to change my mind is if CU is a Final Four caliber team (which isn't likely). He's unlikely to go from potential lottery pick to undrafted, but who knows and there's always the off-chance he gets injured.

Just ask yourself this question: If at any time in your life, if someone would have told you that you could have your dream job and be paid millions of dollars to do it, was there ever a time you would have refused because you wanted to spend another year in your current situation?

Probably not. However, I don't see the millions of dollars as the lock that a lot of other CU fans seem to. He's seen as a late 1st round pick. He could elevate into much higher in the draft, but could also fall out of the 1st round. Also, I believe the draft is going to be much weaker in 2015. It's possible he's a late 1st rounder in 2014, and a late lotto pick in 2015. That could be the difference between $3-4 million over the course of his rookie deal, which isn't exactly chump change for waiting one more year.

Not saying he should wait a year. Obviously he should do whatever he thinks is best for him. Would hate for him to come back, and get hurt. In most situations, if someone can get drafted in the 1st round, it's a good idea to do so, as you never know what can happen.

Saturday night's a big game for Spencer. Perhaps the biggest game of his college career, as far as one on one match-ups go at least. Having a dominant performance, or at least holding his own against probably the best PG in the country, would go a long way towards solidifying himself as a top PG in this draft. How you do in workouts certainly elevates kids, but a lot of GM's and scouts want to see how you perform in a high pressure setting against top tier competition.

some random mock drafts I looked at:

nbadraft.net: not listed (has both rounds)
thebiglead.com: #24 overall to Boston Celtics
cbssports.com: not listed (one round only)
sports illustrated: not listed (only top 20 spots of round one completed)
Draft Express: #24 overall
WalterFootball: #20 overall
HoopsAddict.com: not list (only has top 30 spospects)
HoopsAddict.com: #22 to Oklahoma City

Probably not. However, I don't see the millions of dollars as the lock that a lot of other CU fans seem to. He's seen as a late 1st round pick. He could elevate into much higher in the draft, but could also fall out of the 1st round. Also, I believe the draft is going to be much weaker in 2015. It's possible he's a late 1st rounder in 2014, and a late lotto pick in 2015. That could be the difference between $3-4 million over the course of his rookie deal, which isn't exactly chump change for waiting one more year.

Not saying he should wait a year. Obviously he should do whatever he thinks is best for him. Would hate for him to come back, and get hurt. In most situations, if someone can get drafted in the 1st round, it's a good idea to do so, as you never know what can happen.

Saturday night's a big game for Spencer. Perhaps the biggest game of his college career, as far as one on one match-ups go at least. Having a dominant performance, or at least holding his own against probably the best PG in the country, would go a long way towards solidifying himself as a top PG in this draft. How you do in workouts certainly elevates kids, but a lot of GM's and scouts want to see how you perform in a high pressure setting against top tier competition.
But here's the thing, if you had guaranteed money which might not make you set for life but put you in pretty good shape (assuming you invested it correctly -- and nothing else), it's hard to turn down IMO even if it means less money upfront.

That NBAdraft.net has Aaron Gordon going 18th. They're nuts. For what its worth, I think Draft Express does the best job.

Thank you. I completely agree with you. Nbadraft.net had him as a lottery pick late into last year's season, and it seems that many fans have gotten ahead of themselves. Spencer is good, has NBA talent, but may not get drafted at all based on this year's quality of work. He of course can change that with strong performances against Smart and PAC-12 play...but I just have never agreed with all of the comments about Spencer for sure gone after this year, and then Scott leaving early (I don't think he should or will)...some comments about XJ leaving early... ...we have quality players that could play in the league, but let's not get carried away about all of their NBA draft potential.

If he joins Dre in OKC we might need a Thunder sub forum.

But here's the thing, if you had guaranteed money which might not make you set for life but put you in pretty good shape (assuming you invested it correctly -- and nothing else), it's hard to turn down IMO even if it means less money upfront.

Can't really disagree. Comes down to whether or not he gets that promise or not. And of course whether it is trust worthy. Andre certainly had people he was hearing from that knew what they were talking about. But a lot of times you hear about a kid who is told some team will draft him, and he'll get guaranteed money, and he's playing overseas or in the D-League. Don't think that's Spencer's case, but you just never really know.

I think Doug McDermott could have got picked in the 1st round last year, and would have been set for life then. Andrew Luck could have decided to do the same. But they decided another year was more important for them, and the money could wait. Not everyone is built the same way. And there's not a good or bad decision here, at least imo.

Thank you. I completely agree with you. Nbadraft.net had him as a lottery pick late into last year's season, and it seems that many fans have gotten ahead of themselves. Spencer is good, has NBA talent, but may not get drafted at all based on this year's quality of work. He of course can change that with strong performances against Smart and PAC-12 play...but I just have never agreed with all of the comments about Spencer for sure gone after this year, and then Scott leaving early (I don't think he should or will)...some comments about XJ leaving early... ...we have quality players that could play in the league, but let's not get carried away about all of their NBA draft potential.

I imagine he'd get drafted somewhere, unless he just completely regressed or had a bad injury. But yeah, I don't really agree with the overall consensus, that a bunch of CU's players will go early. I know it's what a lot of top programs go through, and so it is seen as a sign of success with a program. It does give the University a lot of attention, which is great. But it is very, very tough to get drafted in the first round. You have to be one of the Top 25 or so college players for it to happen, typically. So, there is nothing wrong with being someone that is outside of that list, but is still a damn good college basketball player.

Either way, it is a positive for Spencer. Hopefully, if he declares he goes in the 1st round. If he comes back, CU could have a Top 10 team. Either way, he will go down as a legendary Buff imo.

On an unrelated note, this is EXACTLY why roberson left a year early. the 2014 draft is loaded.

Can't really disagree. Comes down to whether or not he gets that promise or not. And of course whether it is trust worthy. Andre certainly had people he was hearing from that knew what they were talking about. But a lot of times you hear about a kid who is told some team will draft him, and he'll get guaranteed money, and he's playing overseas or in the D-League. Don't think that's Spencer's case, but you just never really know.

I think Doug McDermott could have got picked in the 1st round last year, and would have been set for life then. Andrew Luck could have decided to do the same. But they decided another year was more important for them, and the money could wait. Not everyone is built the same way. And there's not a good or bad decision here, at least imo.
I just want to point out in both those cases, those two came from affluent backgrounds, probably making the decision somewhat easier.

Another example of passing up money is Matt Barkley. And not only did his college team not do so well, but he lost a good chunk of change in the process.

One thing I'll say about 'Dres case is even though he thought he'd be a first round pick, he had to know there was a chance he wouldn't even be drafted. That was a lot tougher of a decision. Ultimately he made the right one IMO, especially with how good the draft class is this year.

I just want to point out in both those cases, those two came from affluent backgrounds, probably making the decision somewhat easier.

I thought Spencer was from an affluent background as well. Thought his mom had a doctorate.

I thought Spencer was from an affluent background as well. Thought his mom had a doctorate.
I have absolutely no idea the background Spencer comes from. I know Oliver Luck is the AD at WVU and Doug McDermott's father is the head coach at Creighton. Sorry if you thought I was implying otherwise. But if money isn't an issue, that should make the decision easier if it's a non-factor. Austin Rivers left after one year and his dad has a little bit of money.

I think NFL players deciding to stay or go is easier because...if a crappy team you hate has the first pick, and you know you are probably the first pick, you can stay and hope that a team you like better will get you the next year. NBA with the Lottery, you never know who will pick first.

I think NFL players deciding to stay or go is easier because...if a crappy team you hate has the first pick, and you know you are probably the first pick, you can stay and hope that a team you like better will get you the next year. NBA with the Lottery, you never know who will pick first.

Also if you go to a bad team in the NFL there is a good chance that team will at least be decent (with a couple notable incompetent exceptions) before you are out of your rookie contract. The NFL is designed for bad teams to get good and good teams to get bad.

In the NBA there is very little movement up and down. Certain franchise that suck will always suck. They might get to mediocre for a short time but you don't see a lot of worst to first and vice versa.

Matt Leinart/Barkley agree with this strategy.

Also if you go to a bad team in the NFL there is a good chance that team will at least be decent (with a couple notable incompetent exceptions) before you are out of your rookie contract. The NFL is designed for bad teams to get good and good teams to get bad.

In the NBA there is very little movement up and down. Certain franchise that suck will always suck. They might get to mediocre for a short time but you don't see a lot of worst to first and vice versa.
It's funny to me how cfb takes more time to build than cbb, but the opposite is true in terms of the sports in the pros. Nick Saban hated the parity aspect about the NFL, which makes it harder to build a dynasty.

It's funny to me how cfb takes more time to build than cbb, but the opposite is true in terms of the sports in the pros. Nick Saban hated the parity aspect about the NFL, which makes it harder to build a dynasty.

If Saban had chosen Drew Brees instead of Daunte Culpepper, he probably wouldn't have left the NFL. It wasn't until this year that Saban was finally able to admit that he ****ed that up. Previously, he'd been feeding a bunch of b.s. about how they wanted Brees and offered him first (a lie).

Pete Rozelle was a marketing genious. He knew that balance and a degree of unpredictibility would keep the fans interested. It has worked beyond his wildest dreams.

The draft was the start of it. The owners didn't like free agency but free agency is the time of a hard salary cap makes it impossible for the best teams to keep all their key players. Colleges can stockpile the best players and the best prospects tend to avoid the teams that need them most.

If Saban had chosen Drew Brees instead of Daunte Culpepper, he probably wouldn't have left the NFL. It wasn't until this year that Saban was finally able to admit that he ****ed that up. Previously, he'd been feeding a bunch of b.s. about how they wanted Brees and offered him first (a lie).
Ugh, who knows, change the rules, change the game. It's easy to say he would've worked out in Miami, but who knows. And most NFL coaches aren't on the same team for 8+ years.

Pete Rozelle was a marketing genious. He knew that balance and a degree of unpredictibility would keep the fans interested. It has worked beyond his wildest dreams.

The draft was the start of it. The owners didn't like free agency but free agency is the time of a hard salary cap makes it impossible for the best teams to keep all their key players. Colleges can stockpile the best players and the best prospects tend to avoid the teams that need them most.
Yeah Steve Bisciotti has said that, he wishes he could keep everyone but the cap won't let him.

Brian Hagen made a trip to Boulder to see Spencer practice before the season started as well

[tweet]390522480470654976[/tweet]

Back