What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sports at CU.

I'm going to get blasted for this but I want gymnastics. And not just because I like to watch stalking tank looking girls in unitards. I actually really enjoy women's gymnastics and it is one of my must watches in the olympics.

I'm going to get blasted for this but I want gymnastics. And not just because I like to watch stalking tank looking girls in unitards. I actually really enjoy women's gymnastics and it is one of my must watches in the olympics.
Perv...

This. But is there quality gymnastics in Colorado? Seems like it would be relatively cheap too

This. But is there quality gymnastics in Colorado? Seems like it would be relatively cheap too

Not as good as Oklahoma :)wtf:) but I think one of the reasons I enjoy it is because my sister and my friend's sisters were in it growing up. I think there would be enough to field a decent team and aybe we can poach some of those girls down in Oklahoma.

@rickjames:

great post. and thanks for pointing out that cc and du get guys in to play hockey that CU would never want to touch, academically, for a 2nd tier sport-- we want to take our academic risks in men's fb and bb and therefore need better students in the other sports-- it is an active part of the strategy.

way back when i was at CU, i went drinking a few times with du hockey players. this is anecdotal so take it for what it is worth, but they were all canadian, they had all come up thru junior hockey, focused solely on hockey. they came to du to play hockey. they weren't interested in academics at all. and they weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. they could drink with the very best, however.

yet they chose to drink with you?

:lol: It is one of the few females sports that I think is far superior to the men's version.

Tennis...

men's tennis too often turns on the serve... womens tennis is actually a game....

I would love to see hockey at CU but it isn't going to happen. Outside of football Hockey is one of the most expensive sports to play. You have a large roster and a lot of travel expenses. This is in addition to facility cost which CU would have to build up from zero. While the BEC would serve as a venue for games it is less than ideal being a long haul away from Boulder and the student base. You would also have to have an serious upgrade in terms of practice and training facilities. Most quality recruits would laugh at CU based on what we have now along with playing 20 minutes away from campus. Add in zero history and tradition and almost no local recruiting base and you are looking at a tough challenge to say the least.

I also think baseball would be a huge waste of money and an invitation to embarrasment. Again we don't have the facilities and the expense of those would be huge for a non-revenue sport. I keep hearing about the people who would go out and see CU baseball but I don't believe that there would be any substantial revenue from attendance at games. The travel expenses would be brutal and again recruiting becomes a huge issue. Playing in the PAC we could look forward to getting killed on a regular basis, no thanks.

Wrestling is not a big PAC sport but one that I would love to see at CU. Unfortunately it is in decline nationally at the college level but I think could be successful at CU. Unlike the other sports mentioned it does not carry a large roster of athletes, expenses are fairly minimal. We also already have facilities that would serve the purpose well. I would love to see Balch becoming a pit that opposing schools don't want to come into for matches. You could of course also use the CEC. We could schedule against a number of regional teams that have programs including Wyo, Neb, AFA, UNM, the Oklahoma schools, and up into the mid-west. Importantly Colorado has very strong HS wrestling. Each year the state produces multiple D1 level recruits in the sport who are by neccessity going out of state to compete. We could build a strong program core just with Colorado kids but could recruit strongly out of state as well. CU would be the closest major program (outside of Air Force which is a different animal) to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs which is the training center for USA Wrestling. This could be a huge advantage for us in recruiting elite wrestlers and may also give us an advantage in terms of attracting quality coaches both of whom want to compete at the college level and still be able to maintain easy contact with the olympic training program. This could work for us in a similar manner to Boulders reputation and running community helping us with distance running.

I also wouldn't be opposed to consideration of LAX and Rugby, both of which I think would be good fits for CU and make sense in the big picture.

The only reason I'd support is that if Utah is to become our rival, their gymnastics program is something they are proud of and I'd want to beat their brains in every year.

So, if (and it's a big "if"), I start feeling Nub-like hatred for the Utes... then, and only then, will I want a gymnastics program.

Some of my comments regarding the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs might apply to women's gymnastics. I don't know much about the sport but it seems to me that some of the better athletes have training connections in Colorado. Might be a factor.

Colorado has become very strong as a gymnastics pipeline providing coaches and athletes to the national junior level. That being said, I hate watching it and would be extremely pissed if CU started a Gymnastics team before swimming, wrestling, men's tennis, lacrosse, hockey, (God forbid) baseball, softball, and tiddlywinks.

Colorado has become very strong as a gymnastics pipeline providing coaches and athletes to the national junior level. That being said, I hate watching it and would be extremely pissed if CU started a Gymnastics team before swimming, wrestling, men's tennis, lacrosse, hockey, (God forbid) baseball, softball, and tiddlywinks.

I'm assuming men's lax would be added before gymnastics since we have the women's team lined up.

I disagree with everything RickJames posted about hockey at CU. CU can be a winner.

1. The appeal of college hockey is growing. Team USA was nearly entirely composed of college hockey players. The appeal of Junior leagues like the WHL, CHL, and Quebec league is diminishing. The fact college hockey is making into the Friday night primetime schedule for NBC sports network is saying something. Not quite ESPN, but it's more of a spotlight than before. Like basketball or football, American college hockey is increasingly viewed as a pathway to the league. Kids would rather make it by playing for a BU or DU than scrapping it for 3-4 years in the Q.

2. Colorado is becoming a hockey pipeline more and more with every passing year. The kids growing up watching the Avs and Pios are getting drafted now (Nick Shore the latest example). Not the case before. How many rinks have been built in the Denver area over the last 10 years. Interest in the sport has exploded. High schools that never had hockey since the 70's are picking up programs (Cherry Creek, Littleton, Heritage). The "focus on the hockey" bastion of Colorado Springs is not the sole outpost anymore. No reason CU couldn't find a 4* hockey player out of Colorado.

3. Sure kids want to win, however, starting a program is key. Even the University of, yes, Nebraska-Omaha started a D1 WCHA program less than 10 year ago and is now starting to realize success (qualified for the 16 team NCAA tourney). Like all things, developing a program takes time, but it's not impossible to catch up to the BU's, DU's, BC's, etc. CC will never be at the same level as DU ever again because of its small liberal arts school handicap--kids actually have to focus on their "Literature of the River" classes for 3 weeks at a time with the block schedule. AFA is a military academy, and we all know the recruiting handicap there. Kids who play hockey don't care about academic prestige, so that's an irrelevant point to make. CU could eventually realize a recruiting advantage. Further, there's an opening out West in the college hockey scene with Penn State picking up a program and Minnesota and Wisconsin joining the B10.

I agree that CU needs to get the football situation turned around ASAP and needs to pump all funds into an Oregon-caliber facility or get a coach who wins like Nick Saban if Embo/Bienemy can't get it done. All dollars should go there for the foreseeable future (and wtf, legally why can't all 85 football scholarships not count toward Title IX compliance is beyond me).

But don't call the Colorado's college hockey scene an "exception to the rule" or dismiss the University of Colorado's potential to build a college hockey power that rivals DU's or CC's programs.

Disagreed.

First, college hockey has not become more popular. You say that the number of college players at the recent Junior tournaments show this, but team USA has always been highly comprised of college players (to be honest, Team USA is a bit favored to them).

For example...

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/x/9900/U20a/gs/pg000040.htm

Just about the same number of college hockey players. There has been no huge increase in it's relevancy.

Since 08, only 13 out of 25 american born first round picks played in the NCAA. Barely 50%. Only six Canadian players have played in the NCAA's.

That's 19...Out of 120 some players. The NCAA is still getting it's ass kicked by juniors.

High end talent is still flocking to juniors. It is also easier for an undeveloped or low level prospect to make it to the NHL through juniors for several reasons.

1. You play with players your age. Most of the league is 17/18/19 year olds, you don't have to go up against 22 and 23 year old regularly.

2. You can fight. Usually a good skill for a borderline NHL'er.

3. The CHL is an entirely developmental league. People whine about it, but one of the best parts of the Canadian leagues is that players, can force their way out of a bad situation, or refuse to play for certain teams. It sounds like a dick move, but better to be rude than end up in a bad situation.

It's not fun trying to make it as a borderline NHL player. As a positive, you do get to stick around a little longer into your twenties if you really need the development time, but very few players play out their eligibility.

Colorado has proven nothing with regards to being a pipeline state.

I'll give you the shore brothers, but other than them who exactly has come through the Denver area on the way to the show?? Still drier than a church sponsored bingo night.

Nebraska-Omaha is actually a terrible example of showing how a program can "get off the ground" considering that they have a losing record, and they are 38'th in RPI. Out of 58 teams, that pretty much puts you in the bottom third of programs.They have really only had two good teams in 15 years of playing at the NCAA level. They've had two teams that were barely ranked, and 13 teams that were either bad or struggling to make .500 They also have a great coach in Dan Blais. When they've had success it's because they got lucky on a couple of guys that fell through the cracks undrafted.

Teams that start up and simply aren't around solid prospect pools don't fare well.

College Hockey has become more popular by some measures. I believe that the "Frozen Four" is the 2nd most profitable post-season championship tourney in the NCAA behind the Men's Final Four.

In the interest of Title IX, I would be ok with adding "really hot coed" jello/mud/lubrication wrestling as a varsity sport. I have no problem with scholarships being awarded for that sport, and it is guaranteed to be a money maker.

In the interest of Title IX, I would be ok with adding "really hot coed" jello/mud/lubrication wrestling as a varsity sport. I have no problem with scholarships being awarded for that sport, and it is guaranteed to be a money maker.

For our next Title IX move, I'd like to start a women's bowling team and fund the **** out of it just to screw with the Fuskers.

Good idea. Also a lot of women's basketball programs are using a team of male students to practice against. Bring this sport in and buffedup might have to go back to school just to "help out."

Talk about digging a grave....or backing into a jail cell....

We need a boulder-12

What makes a 12?

When you sit down in your first class of the semester and see a beautiful girl you say to yourself, "Damn, she's a 10!" Now imagine if that "10" taught herself HTML code in 8th grade (Charlotte). Imagine if she can cook a meal better than your Italian grandmother (Victoria). Imagine if she has a black belt in Taekwando (Alexis). It takes something more than physical beauty to be a 12.

Over 8,000 girls applied to be in the calendar this year and while many would be considered 10's, only a select few can call themselves 12's. A 12 is an educated, driven and down-to-earth college girl. Oh yeah, she also happens to be absolutely gorgeous. From opening pre-schools to running Fortune 500 corporations, Tempe12 girls have aspirations that stretch far beyond any calendar modeling. Quite frankly, most of them have no actual interest in modeling! There are a lot more to these girls than their looks and if you build up enough courage to sit next to one in class, you will see for yourself!

General Information

Back