What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

St. John's may be looking to hire Coach A

FLounder

Most Hated Poster of the Year 2016, 2018, 2022
Club Member
Tommy Abatamarco, Lane Odom, Earl Watson, Gerald Madkins and Paul Biancardi in mix at #stjbb to replace Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap

What a huge loss this would be. He's been addressed as our best recruiter, and a hell of a coach. I hope he doesn't leave, he is a vital part of building the Buffaloes team.

We can have a very interesting conversation about Coach A. He is one of our better recruiters at times, says some hilarious stuff on twitter, brings energy to practices, runs a bunch of practice activities, but he may be one of our weaker coaches.

I feel we could absorb the loss, but I still think he brings a nice balance to our coaching staff. He is also the reason we stayed on Andre after Coach Bze left.

This would also give Rodney Billups a chance to step up. Most of all do we even know whether he wants a head coaching job? I seem to remember him saying that he has been there done that.

Last edited:
I've never seen him do anything at practice other than sitting on the sideline joking with guys who are subbed out.

With that said, I think Billups would be a lights out recruiter.

Thanks for the input. I don't attend practices so I appreciate that. I have only been around at one and seen a scrimmage that he was yelling at the guys. Very very small sample.

If Coach A wants to move back to the east coast and help coach the Johnnies, I will wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors and thank him for the good work he did at CU.

I love Coach A, but second Nik on this. If it's what he wants, best of luck to him.

I'm sky high on Rodney Billups. I think, like Yung said, he'd be a lights out recruiter out there. The kids love him.

My only concern would be having to recruit against him. I'm sure he'd begin to establish connections to hs's, coaches, and recruits closer to the new gig, but for the first couple of years I'm pretty certain that the recruiting "paths" would cross on a number of young players.

Jesus FLounder, what is with the melodramatic thread title? Chill. Out. Coach A = Funny but meh.

The thing I like most about Coach Abatemarco is his connections in the industry. Might open scheduling doors that would otherwise remain closed...

Jesus FLounder, what is with the melodramatic thread title? Chill. Out. Coach A = Funny but meh.

Yeah. I just edited it. When I had first seen the thread, I was wondering what happened... only to find out that Coach A, if a tweet is accurate, is on a long list of candidates to fill a just-opened assistant coach job. meh

It's a fairly big statement about where this program seems to be going, if an assistant coach is being offered by one of the more prestigious programs in the country.

Best of luck, if it's true.

Not only did he get his dig in, but he gave a bad link to the site. The latter was probably an accident, but well-played if he's annoyed. Love Coach A.

:lol:

Interesting tweets indeed. The reality is that the question had to be asked and had he not denied an interview, it would have been asked to him directly. For those who don't subscribe to Scoop, I never cited any inside information of any sort to say he was leaving. I cited the NYC media outlet that posted the connection and then posted that the coaches didn't have anything to say about it.

Interesting tweets indeed. The reality is that the question had to be asked and had he not denied an interview, it would have been asked to him directly. For those who don't subscribe to Scoop, I never cited any inside information of any sort to say he was leaving. I cited the NYC media outlet that posted the connection and then posted that the coaches didn't have anything to say about it.
I agree. Nothing wrong with asking the question. As always, people have the right to not answer. I laugh at Coach A intense reactions.

Last edited:

You don't ask a person's co-workers about his career, you ask him or his boss. You've got a mea culpa on this one, YngC. Just admit the error in judgment and move on rather than try to justify it.

You don't ask a person's co-workers about his career, you ask him or his boss. You've got a mea culpa on this one, YngC. Just admit the error in judgment and move on rather than try to justify it.

I have to disagree with this one. Its a journalists job to ask questions, there were rumors going around and it was a hot topic on the beat that yung reports about. It sounds as if he tried to get Coach A in on the interview and he declined, so yung did his best to get the information in another way. Regardless of whether he was right or wrong in asking the question, the way Coach A went about it was totally uncalled for. If Coach A was so mad about him not asking him to his face shouldn't he have dealt with it on a personal basis instead of on a social media outlet? Saying that he shouldn't have asked his co-workers about it was one thing, but taking personal shots at him and saying things like "William is messing with the wrong person" is way out of line.

I have to disagree with this one. Its a journalists job to ask questions, there were rumors going around and it was a hot topic on the beat that yung reports about. It sounds as if he tried to get Coach A in on the interview and he declined, so yung did his best to get the information in another way. Regardless of whether he was right or wrong in asking the question, the way Coach A went about it was totally uncalled for. If Coach A was so mad about him not asking him to his face shouldn't he have dealt with it on a personal basis instead of on a social media outlet? Saying that he shouldn't have asked his co-workers about it was one thing, but taking personal shots at him and saying things like "William is messing with the wrong person" is way out of line.
wrong...

[video=youtube;HvkKd572vCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvkKd572vCw[/video]

Doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me, just saying that Coach A is handling this the wrong way. I agree with that.

But if I have to take sides, I'm coming down in favor of the guy who has actually done something positive for CU basketball and may have had to deal with crap at work because someone who calls himself a reporter felt it was necessary to ask Coach A's co-workers about an obscure, unsubstantiated tweet and then publish the exchange even though the response only amounted to, "News to me. Ask Coach A".

Doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me, just saying that Coach A is handling this the wrong way. I agree with that.

But if I have to take sides, I'm coming down in favor of the guy who has actually done something positive for CU basketball and may have had to deal with crap at work because someone who calls himself a reporter felt it was necessary to ask Coach A's co-workers about an obscure, unsubstantiated tweet and then publish the exchange even though the response only amounted to, "News to me. Ask Coach A".

Obviously Coach A has done more for CU basketball than any journalist could. But I don't think this has anything to do with it. In my journalism classes we learn about journalistic integrity and such, I don't believe yng went out of those boundaries with his question. He did his best to get information and when he couldn't obtain it he moved on. It definitely didn't justify the reaction it got. If I had to guess it seems like the other coaches approached Tom about it later since they had heard nothing and Coach A was upset that they heard from yng and not from him. There was no way for yng to know if they knew or not, thats why he asked. If Coach A wanted to answer the question he should have accepted the interview but it seems like he was trying to avoid that question and is mad that it still got brought up. Its a journalists job to sometimes ask questions that people don't want asked.

Obviously Coach A has done more for CU basketball than any journalist could. But I don't think this has anything to do with it. In my journalism classes we learn about journalistic integrity and such, I don't believe yng went out of those boundaries with his question. He did his best to get information and when he couldn't obtain it he moved on. It definitely didn't justify the reaction it got. If I had to guess it seems like the other coaches approached Tom about it later since they had heard nothing and Coach A was upset that they heard from yng and not from him. There was no way for yng to know if they knew or not, thats why he asked. If Coach A wanted to answer the question he should have accepted the interview but it seems like he was trying to avoid that question and is mad that it still got brought up. Its a journalists job to sometimes ask questions that people don't want asked.

So what you're saying is that, as a journalist, if you have a sensitive question based solely on an internet rumor that you want to ask someone and he refuses to grant you an interview... that it's in your job description to try to get the person's co-workers to speak for him? Come on, man.

Besides, we're not talking about covering Washington D.C. here or about an investigative journalist. We're talking about a fan site where the "reporters" actively cheer for the program they cover. Every interview they do is a puff piece for the fans and that's the expectation. You can't come from that place and then hide behind the mantle of being some kind of hard hitting journalist with a professional responsibility to get to the bottom of things. Buffscoop has been pretty open about the fact that they don't publish everything they hear of because some things wouldn't be good for the program or the people involved if they got out. They've also got a history of being very adversarial to those coaches they don't like (both on that site and at previous places of employment), and YC hasn't made a secret of the fact he doesn't think much of Coach A.

So what you're saying is that, as a journalist, if you have a sensitive question based solely on an internet rumor that you want to ask someone and he refuses to grant you an interview... that it's in your job description to try to get the person's co-workers to speak for him? Come on, man.

Besides, we're not talking about covering Washington D.C. here or about an investigative journalist. We're talking about a fan site where the "reporters" actively cheer for the program they cover. Every interview they do is a puff piece for the fans and that's the expectation. You can't come from that place and then hide behind the mantle of being some kind of hard hitting journalist with a professional responsibility to get to the bottom of things. Buffscoop has been pretty open about the fact that they don't publish everything they hear of because some things wouldn't be good for the program or the people involved if they got out. They've also got a history of being very adversarial to those coaches they don't like (both on that site and at previous places of employment), and YC hasn't made a secret of the fact he doesn't think much of Coach A.

Its in the job description to gain information and that what he was doing. Is it wrong for a repeater to ask Dwight Howards teammate if they know anything about him possibly demanding a trade? Or asking Albert Pujols teammates in STL if they think he's gonna stay there or sign somewhere else?
Regardless of what Yng thinks about Coach A he didn't do anything to bash him or attack him. He just asked a question about him.

Its in the job description to gain information and that what he was doing. Is it wrong for a repeater to ask Dwight Howards teammate if they know anything about him possibly demanding a trade? Or asking Albert Pujols teammates in STL if they think he's gonna stay there or sign somewhere else?
Regardless of what Yng thinks about Coach A he didn't do anything to bash him or attack him. He just asked a question about him.
ubl... this is on par with the question about underage drinking... it really is a clown question

Back