What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

St. Petersburg Bowl - more proof that the bowl game end times are here

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
First off, it's questionable whether that bowl should even exist. Launched in 2008 because ESPN wanted more game volume.

Sponsors: magicJack, then Beef O'Brady, then Bitcoin... not it's going to be:

Only a matter of time until the Power 5 splits from the rest of D1A/FBS and we end up with 2-round conference playoffs followed by an 8-team national playoff.

With so many bowl games, why doesn't the PAC 12 have more bowl tie-ins? I think we are at something like six.
Rose, Holiday, Alamo, New Mexico, Las Vegas and San Francisco. Did I miss any? Why not get a tie in to one of the east coast bowls to help exposure?

With so many bowl games, why doesn't the PAC 12 have more bowl tie-ins? I think we are at something like six.
Rose, Holiday, Alamo, New Mexico, Las Vegas and San Francisco. Did I miss any? Why not get a tie in to one of the east coast bowls to help exposure?
Do you want to go to the East Coast at the end of December? I thought so.

Meh. I'm more interested in the bowls we have raising their prestige and payouts. For example, the Las Vegas Bowl should become a big deal with the new stadium.

Also, the Pac-12 does't do the New Mexico Bowl. We've got tie-ins with the Cactus Bowl (Phoenix) and Sun Bowl (El Paso) that you missed, though. By "San Francisco", I assume you mean the Foster Farms Bowl (Santa Clara).

Anyway, we've to 7 tie-ins. Then, there are some bowls that still have at-large spots and they'll take a Pac-12 team that's bowl eligible over any G5 alternatives. We won't see a 6-win P12 team left out of a bowl game.

Meh. I'm more interested in the bowls we have raising their prestige and payouts. For example, the Las Vegas Bowl should become a big deal with the new stadium.

Also, the Pac-12 does't do the New Mexico Bowl. We've got tie-ins with the Cactus Bowl (Phoenix) and Sun Bowl (El Paso) that you missed, though. By "San Francisco", I assume you mean the Foster Farms Bowl (Santa Clara).

Anyway, we've to 7 tie-ins. Then, there are some bowls that still have at-large spots and they'll take a Pac-12 team that's bowl eligible over any G5 alternatives. We won't see a 6-win P12 team left out of a bowl game.
I hear what you're saying, but I'd still like to see at least one bowl tie in East of the Mississippi.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd still like to see at least one bowl tie in East of the Mississippi.

Playing the SEC or ACC would raise the conference profile. We play the ACC in the Sun Bowl, but it is usually an afterthought, even though it actually has a pretty rich history.

Playing the SEC or ACC would raise the conference profile. We play the ACC in the Sun Bowl, but it is usually an afterthought, even though it actually has a pretty rich history.

With the current configuration, I bet we could get the SEC to drop a current bowl and become the Pac-12 opponent in the Las Vegas Bowl. To get that, though, LVB needs to pretty much triple what it pays. But it would be worth it to get the SEC instead of the MWC as the opponent.

It's an afterthought because of when it's played. Usually at 2:00 PM on a Wednesday afternoon, three days before the NYD bowls.
Play the game at night or move it to NYD (IMO too many games have migrated away from NYD, that needs to change), and the game will have a much higher profile.

Not getting the Peach, but others should be possible.
Citrus is probably out of the question too. I didn't realize it, but that's SEC#2 vs B1G#2. They won't be changing that up any time soon. Those folks from the rust belt like to go to Florida in December.
What's the game that's played in Tampa?

Citrus is probably out of the question too. I didn't realize it, but that's SEC#2 vs B1G#2. They won't be changing that up any time soon. Those folks from the rust belt like to go to Florida in December.
What's the game that's played in Tampa?
I believe it is the Outback Bowl.

I wonder if @sackman realizes that with 7 bowl tie-ins plus the Rose Bowl the only way the Pac-12 can reasonably add another is if we expand the conference. ;)
It's seven bowls with the Rose, not in addition to it. Throw in the CFP and you get to 8, though.

And let me be clear- I'm not against expansion. I'm against UT in the conference.

My feeling is that we would be well served to have some exposure out East. Remind them that football is played out here.

Outback Bowl is also B1G vs SEC. hard to rock that boat.

Is there a Bowl that puts the ACC up against a team from the Big 12? That's what we need to target.

I don't get the angst against numerous low quality bowl games. Do you people really like spending that extra time with your in-laws?
It's that making a bowl game should mean something; at least a winning season. I'd be happy if you had to go 7-5 to make a bowl. The last couple years, some 5-7 teams have made it in. That's just ridiculous.

Back