What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stanford Cardinal

Ain't that the truth. It's amazing how sensitive the Stanford reputation is to this fact. At least A&M embraces their identity.

For CU to get a stronger foothold in the Oil Patch, it wouldn't hurt to bring the Colorado School of Mines under the CU system umbrella.

Some big hitters at Mines include Jack Grunberg (Ivanhoe Energy), Steven Newman (CEO Transocean), and Joseph Wright, Jr. (Scientific Games, Grace Energy).
I know a few Mines grads and have a feeling they would vehemently oppose any joining between CU & Mines.

I took you up on that and looked up some landmark Stanford gifts over the past decade.

$400M in 2001 by William and Flora Hewlett (think HP) to Humanities & Nat Science
$105M by Phil Knight (Nike) to the B-School
$100M by John Arrillaga to various depatments, including Athletics
$100M by ExxonMobil for Global Climate & Energy project
$75M anonymous for stemcell research
$50M by Jay Precourt for Precourt Institute of Energy
$50M by Thomas Steyer, Kat Taylor and others for Precourt Institute of Energy
$30M by Ward and Pricilla Woods for Environmental Studies

This is not a comprehensive list, but contains some of the jumbo whales that make headlines.
My conclusion is that Arrillaga is not the big swinging dick as made out by Abs and Maxer. The two Energy projects I've pointed out are double Arrillaga's giving, and only half of the Hewlett's astronomical gift.

Perhaps I wasn't being clear, but when I was referring to Arriallaga as being THE major donor, I was talking about football, not the university as a whole. Stanford raises so much money (as I said previously, I believe they raise more money than any other university) that there is no one person who could be classified as THE major donor.

With a $15.9B endowment, these jumbo gifts are a fraction of the total.

Right. And since Stanford is a private school, we'll never know who is behind a lot of their donations.

Based on this sample, and based on the relative age and profitablily of the energy sector versus the tech bubble, I'm nowhere near to conceeding that real estate or technology has eclipsed oil money as the engine behind Tree Aggie's vast wealth.

Your own research (which I haven't checked, but will take on faith for the purposes of this thread) contradicts this statement. Let's add it up:

$400mm tech (Hewlett gift)
$105mm shoe/apparel (Knight gift)
$100mm real estate (Arriallaga gift)
$180mm oil/energy (ExxonMobil, Precourt and associated Precourt gifts)
$75mm anonymous
$30mm finance (Woods family used to run Bessemer Securities)

Now given these numbers, that are a result of YOUR research, explain to me how oil/energy are the primary donors?

It would probally take someone from the Stanford foundation to ultimately resolve this, though.

On this we agree.

Right. And since Stanford is a private school, we'll never know who is behind a lot of their donations.

Your own research (which I haven't checked, but will take on faith for the purposes of this thread) contradicts this statement. Let's add it up:

$400mm tech (Hewlett gift)
$105mm shoe/apparel (Knight gift)
$100mm real estate (Arriallaga gift)
$180mm oil/energy (ExxonMobil, Precourt and associated Precourt gifts)
$75mm anonymous
$30mm finance (Woods family used to run Bessemer Securities)

Now given these numbers, that are a result of YOUR research, explain to me how oil/energy are the primary donors.

Have you taken a look at the financial statements of ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhilips, BP, and Royal Dutch Shell recently? The market cap of just those 5 big oil companies is in the trillions. Nice profits, too.

Now look at Google, Cisco, Hewlett Packard, Nike, or any other collection of 5 companies also associated with Stanford. What do you see?

Now look at the lifecycle of Big Oil. It's been around for well before WWI.
How long have Silicon Valley tech firms been around? Three decades?

By my logic, Stanford has been graduating alumni into oil for much longer than they have been generating dot com billionaires.

It boils down to relative Time x Profitibility of the sector (proxy for capacity to donate) x number of graduates.

Oil hires lots of engineers and pays them well, and has been doing so for much longer than technology. Thus my conclusion that the $200M split between Precourt & Exxon is just the tip of a much larger oil based iceberg.

Have you taken a look at the financial statements of ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhilips, BP, and Royal Dutch Shell recently? The market cap of just those 5 big oil companies is in the trillions. Nice profits, too.

Now look at Google, Cisco, Hewlett Packard, Nike, or any other collection of 5 companies also associated with Stanford. What do you see?

Now look at the lifecycle of Big Oil. It's been around for well before WWI.
How long have Silicon Valley tech firms been around? Three decades?

By my logic, Stanford has been graduating alumni into oil for much longer than they have been generating dot com billionaires.

It boils down to relative Time x Profitibility of the sector (proxy for capacity to donate) x number of graduates.

Oil hires lots of engineers and pays them well, and has been doing so for much longer than technology. Thus my conclusion that the $200M split between Precourt & Exxon is just the tip of a much larger oil based iceberg.

Sure. And using that same logic, the University of Virginia (to use but one example) was built by slaves. How far back in time do you want to go?

Honestly he's probably tustling with a ram fan who is sick of him tormenting them on lambnation.
I ran out of names to use so I haven't gotten banned from their for almost a month.

Is anyone else here uncomfortable with Creatini, with his wise old age of 18, representing us Buff fans on ESPN?
It's not like I'm sitting over their talking **** to other schools and giving CU a bad name, I simply talking about CU football and defending it sometimes with cocky fans or Husker fans who haven't cut the umbilical cord yet. And people need to quit acting like they were some model fan when they were 18/19.

Sure. And using that same logic, the University of Virginia (to use but one example) was built by slaves. How far back in time do you want to go?

At Cal do they teach it's better to stretch logic to absurd lengths, too? I'm guessing you didn't bother doing any homework before replying. Just go back 55-60 years. That gets into the sweet spot of foundation giving.

In other news, fallen IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was a visiting professor at Stanford. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
At Cal do they teach it's better to stretch logic to absurd lengths, too?

Obviously the answer to that question is yes.

I'm guessing you didn't bother doing any homework before replying.

I'm sorry, I thought I was on a football message board.

Just go back 55-60 years. That gets into the sweet spot of foundation giving.

Yes, I'll be right back with the research that doesn't exist (since Stanford is a private institution and doesn't publicize many of their gifts) to prove YOUR point.

I'm happy to accept that the tech/vc business has not traditionally been the business with the largest Stanford donors over the last 40-50 years. You have not, however, shown me one bit of proof that the oil/energy business has been.It may or may not be the case. I'd like to suggest that we just agree that Stanford raises a great deal of money (as do many universities) from those that possess it, which includes many industries. Especially oil/energy, finance, and tech.

In other news, fallen IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was a visiting professor at Stanford. :lol:

Now we're talking!

I ran out of names to use so I haven't gotten banned from their for almost a month.

It's not like I'm sitting over their talking **** to other schools and giving CU a bad name, I simply talking about CU football and defending it sometimes with cocky fans or Husker fans who haven't cut the umbilical cord yet. And people need to quit acting like they were some model fan when they were 18/19.

I was appalling. **** 'em up 'Tini!

http://pangea.stanford.edu/alumni/support/pif/committee-members

This link provides the alumni committee behind the Petroleum Investment fund, a $41M portfolio specifically designed to generate discresionary revenue for the department. Lots of Colorado residents on that list.

Petroleum Investments Funds
PIF Members
Committee Members
Hormoz Ameri, MS ’84, Petroleum Engineering, Naftex Operating Company, Los Angeles, CA
Kenneth A. Breitenbach, AB ’79, Human Biology, MS ’82, Petroleum Engineering, Breitenbach Petroleum Corporation, Denver, CO
William W. Daily, Impact Petroleum Inc., Vancouver, British Columbia
Craig M. Jarchow, MS ’87, PhD ’91, Geophysics, Pine Brook Road Partners, LLC, New York, NY
Jonathan G. Kuespert, MS ’84, Applied Earth Sciences, BreitBurn Energy Company, LLC, Los Angeles, CA
John G. Leede, BS ’84 Geology, Leede Operating Company, LLC, Greenwood Village, CO
Dirk W. McDermott, MS ’81, Geophysics, MBA ’91, Altira Group, LLC, Denver, CO
Richard R. Mrlik, BS ’81, Mechanical Engineering, ENG ’02, Petroleum Engineering, Intertie LLC, San Francisco, CA
Richard J. Murphy, ENG ’77, Sugar Land, TX
Kiran Pande, MS ’85, PhD ’89, Petroleum Engineering, PetroAssests, Inc., Castro Valley, CA
Bryce W. Rhodes, MBA ’79, Carlsbad, CA
Stephen C. Rose, BS ’67, MS ’70, Petroleum Engineering, Compass Rose Consulting, Ranchos de Taos, NM

Advisory Members
Brian R. Cebull, BS ’93, Mechanical Engineering, Nance Resources, Inc., Billings, MT
Annemette M. Ditlevsen, MS ’95, Petroleum Engineering, Maersk Oil, Copenhagen, Denmark
John M. Ellis, MS ’81, ENG ’82, Petroleum Engineering, Union Bank of California, San Luis Obispo, CA
Andrew L. Evans, PhD ’88, Geology, MBA ’04, ARC Financial Corporation, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chris M. Friedemann, BS '86, Petroleum Engineering, MBA '92, NEOS GeoSolutions, Inc., Sugarland, TX
Daniel P. Goodman, MBA '11, Palo Alto, CA
Thomas M. Giallonardo, BS ’70, Petroleum Engineering, California Department of Conservation, Bakersfield, CA
H. Brock Hudson, BS ’83, Earth Sciences, Red Arrow Energy, LLC, Houston, TX
Mark S. Sexton, BS ’78, Mechanical Engineering, Inflection Energy LLC, Denver, CO
Donna M. Thompson, BS '82, Geology, San Joaquin Energy Consultants, Inc., Bakersfield, CA
Gardner W. Walkup, Jr., MS ’84, Petroleum Engineering, The AES Corporation, Arlington, VA
Dexter L. Yuen, MS '78, Petroleum Engineering, Union Bank, N.A., Los Angeles, CA

Ex Officio Members
Pamela A. Matson, Dean, School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University
David S. Gordon, MBA ’68, Executive Administrator, Petroleum Investments Committee, School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University
Robert G. Lindblom, Consultant to the Stanford Management Company, Menlo Park, CA
Martina S. Poquet, AB ’74, Anthropology, Stanford Management Company, Menlo Park, CA

Emeritus Members
Robert L. Bayless, BS ’78, Petroleum Engineering, Denver, CO
Randall H. Breitenbach, BS ’82, MS ’83, Petroleum Engineering, Los Angeles, CA
Arthur W. “Butch” Butler, III, MS ’77, Geophysics, Buena Vista, CO
David A. Carlson, BS ’79 Petroleum Engineering, Newberry, SC
Thomas C. Carlson, Dallas, TX
Stephen D. Chicoine, ENG ’75, Petroleum Engineering, Eden Prairie, MN
Ann Murphy Daily, BS ’79, Petroleum Engineering, Santa Fe, NM
Robert C. Earlougher, Jr., BS ’63, MS ’64, PhD ’66, Petroleum Engineering, The Woodlands, TX
Robert A. Edwards, MS ’94, ENG ’94, Petroleum Engineering, London, England, UK
William B. Flint, BS ’57, MS ’58, Petroleum Engineering, Bayfield, CO
John E. Hankey, BS ’74, MS ’74, Geology, Houston, TX
John B. Hundley, BS ’49, Petroleum Engineering, Santa Barbara, CA
Warren K. Kourt, MS ’70, Applied Earth Sciences, Los Angeles, CA
John E. Lawton, BS ’50, MS ’52, PhD ’56, Geology, Highlands Ranch, CO
C. Michael Ming, BS ’80, Petroleum Engineering, MS ’87, Engineering, Edmond, OK
Bertram H. Murphy, BS ’50, Petroleum Engineering, Roswell, NM
Harry Ptasynski, BS ’50, Geology, Casper, WY
William M. Quackenbush, AB ’43, Geology, Amarillo, TX
J. Robert Ransone, AB ’63, Economics, Dallas, TX
Jon E. “Rick” Riseden, MS ’68, Petroleum Engineering, Houston, TX
Robert A. Shore, BS ’70, Petroleum Engineering, Paso Robles, CA
David K. Stone, BS ’88, Petroleum Engineering, Menlo Park, CA
Halbert S. Washburn, BS ’83, Petroleum Engineering, Los Angeles, CA

This is a silly argument, I can't believe it's still going on. Stanford and A&M may both have some roots in the oil & gas industry but that's where the similarities end. The campuses and towns they reside in are completely different, their student body and alumni are completely different and the culture is completely different. Both weird, but different.

I all fairness to this rather bizarre comparison, Stanford does call their campus "the Farm" which would indicate that they are Aggies in that sense. : )

it did start as a large farm, and aggies do like farms.

Tree Aggie AD hooked up their athletic venues with a booming wireless system. I'd like to see the Buffs follow suit.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/at...att-wi-fi-and-advanced-mobile-apps-2011-05-19

AT&T's network will provide Cardinal fans with access to in stadium, customized mobile apps, including Live In-Stadium instant replay on their mobile devices, interactive games and stadium guide, events, team information and news. Cardinal fans will be able to access real-time game and player stats and video, promotional offers, integrated social networking and location-based services (LBS) and more. These new advanced applications for Cardinal fans enable them to access information 24/7 outside of the stadium as well as coordinate 'watch parties' with friends.

Back