What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stanford @ CU Pre-Pregame thread.

Stanford offense under Hogan tends to struggle on the road. They also have one of the tighter DL rotations in the conference. I see a pretty ugly game on Saturday.

Could help the run game, just need to keep it close early and watch Hogan keeping the ball, he took over that game last weekend by running the ball.

Had a concussion in one of the first plays on Saturday, "Didn't realize it until halftime," sat out the entire second half, and is now questionable but probably will pass concussion tests.

I'm feeling signature win here.

I also feel like I shouldn't watch so that I at least give them the chance for the signature win.

I'm feeling signature win here.

I also feel like I shouldn't watch so that I at least give them the chance for the signature win.
Which brings up the question: what is a signature win, and how would we know if we got one?

Googling for answers, I like this: A win that serves as a platform to propel a team to the next level. Sort of a statement that we've moved up, and this proves it. This is not the same as an upset over a better team, followed by relapse to mediocrity. In other words, if we beat Stanford and play USC, WSU and Utah close (having already played UCLA well), it could be considered a signature win. Certainly if we beat one of the three. If we beat Stanford then relapse for the final 3, I couldn't see the label as appropriate. Maybe it's best determined at the season's conclusion.

Which brings up the question: what is a signature win, and how would we know if we got one?

Googling for answers, I like this: A win that serves as a platform to propel a team to the next level. Sort of a statement that we've moved up, and this proves it. This is not the same as an upset over a better team, followed by relapse to mediocrity. In other words, if we beat Stanford and play USC, WSU and Utah close (having already played UCLA well), it could be considered a signature win. Certainly if we beat one of the three. If we beat Stanford then relapse for the final 3, I couldn't see the label as appropriate. Maybe it's best determined at the season's conclusion.

I don't think it exists. It's a myth. Certainly a win at home vs. #3 Oklahoma would qualify, right? How'd it go for Hawk after that? Even Nebraska in 2001. It only got worse for us after that. No one game can propel a team to the next level. To use coach-speak, you've got to compete week after week, that's what builds a program. Not having one good day.

I don't think it exists. It's a myth. Certainly a win at home vs. #3 Oklahoma would qualify, right? How'd it go for Hawk after that? Even ****braska in 2001. It only got worse for us after that. No one game can propel a team to the next level. To use coach-speak, you've got to compete week after week, that's what builds a program. Not having one good day.
I think I am agreeing - maybe propel is the wrong word. The win "reveals" that the program has reached the next level, rather than putting it there.

I don't think it exists. It's a myth. Certainly a win at home vs. #3 Oklahoma would qualify, right? How'd it go for Hawk after that? Even ****braska in 2001. It only got worse for us after that. No one game can propel a team to the next level. To use coach-speak, you've got to compete week after week, that's what builds a program. Not having one good day.

I dunno. I think that '86 win over #3 Nebraska propelled CU after that.

Your point is solid. I just think it's one sided.

That Stanford game is going to be a meat grinder for CU.

Of all of the games left to play, this is the least winnable, IMO.

CU will get beat up, demoralized and squished, just like grape.

I predict at least one kick directly to McCaffrey, which he returns for a touchdown.

People at the game should have their "Fire Neinas" posters ready.

Defeatist P*ssies!
Never give up. You should always to endeavor to punch them in the mouth after you kick them in the groin. Why did you accept a bid to be in this conference? Compete every game. Now is your time! At the very least, you should cause one or two season ending injuries and a couple of long-term sprains - especially if you go into the game thinking you are going to lose.

Never give up!

Just some stats heading into the game, with emphasis on rushing numbers.

#11 Stanford
Pts/Game: 36.5
Pts Allowed/Game: 21.5
Total Yards/Game: 436.9
Rushing yards/Game: 221.8
Total Yards Allowed/Game: 352.1
Rushing Yards Allowed/Game: 128.6

Colorado
Pts/Game: 29.9
Pts Allowed/Game: 26.8
Total Yards/Game: 446.3
Rushing yards/Game: 195
Total Yards Allowed/Game: 423.3
Rushing Yards Allowed/Game: 201.5

The rushing offense numbers are skewed a bit for Stanford because McCaffrey had huge rushing performances against OSU and UCLA, who we have seen the past two weeks really really struggle with the run. Colorado's rushing defense numbers would be a bit skewed by allowing 361 rushing yards to Oregon, but it is balanced by the fact we gave up only 126 to NSU.

Stanford played WSU last week who's defensive yards allowed are very similar to CU's. 412 total yards and 206.6 rushing yards allowed. WSU has the advantage of an explosive offense averaging nearly 500 yards per game and 35pts. That game ended with Stanford winning 30-28 on a field goal in the last 2 minutes.

If the same team that showed up last weekend in the rose bowl, shows up in Boulder this saturday we have a chance to knock off the cardinal.

Stats from UCLA against our averages:

Pts: 31 (+)
Yards: 554 (+)
Rushing Yards: 242 (+)
Yards allowed: 400 (+)
Rushing Yards allowed: 138 (+)

Its going to be a tough game on Saturday, and I hope its an entertaining one.

Stanford got a break last week when WSU had a pick 6 called back (overturned upon further review). The TV video in no way, shape or form, had indisputable evidence to reverse that call. I saw several of these last week that were suspicious.

If WSU goes up midway thru the 2nd quarter by 13-3, this whole game may have been played differently.

My biggest concerns are Stanford's running game (UCLA struggled against the Buffs on the ground, except for a play or 2 that went for long TDs). Kickoffs will be another concern. This is a game where we could really use a kicker who could put it thru the endzone. McCaffery is scary good on Kickoff Returns and the Buffs are Scary poor.

I also think Diego NEEDS to be on his game.
This will be a game where we can't take poitns off the board at all.

reading on the Stanford forum, they're not giving us a chance at all.

good...let them come in over confident.
This isn't the team from 2012 when they were here last!

Back