What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Start Simmons or Jefferson - bench Espinoza thread

In the buffzone article Toney Clemons said that Espy should be starting

You would too if you were him. Do you think he has any shot of PT next year if he underminds what the coach is doing this year? He is playing the game and sees the writing on the wall.

You would too if you were him. Do you think he has any shot of PT next year if he underminds what the coach is doing this year? He is playing the game and sees the writing on the wall.

And Clemons personally told you this? Or is this just like all the other idle speculation that goes on around here lately?

Football is indeed about winning. And teams whose talented players practice hard, learn the playbook, and concentrate are the ones who win. If you think there is a winning team that lets its talented players be lazy in practice and still play, please tell me what that team is, because I've never heard of a team that didn't practice hard and still won championships.

I've no idea if Hawk is "playing favorites," as I haven't been to practices that are closed to the public. But the idea that Hawk doesn't want his best players on the field is pretty silly, considering how quickly guys like Ryan Miller, Bryce Givens, Max Tuioti-Marriner, Rodney Stewart, Ryan Deehan, Josh Smith and Ray Polk have started games. Every single guy I just named started as a true freshman except Givens and Polk, and Givens would have seen the field as a true freshman if he hadn't been out with a series of concussions.

And that's not counting guys like Major and Kasa who got hurt as freshmen and didn't get the chance to start as true freshman.

Trying to be rational with the Hawkins Haters is useless at this point. They have their ill informed positions and at this point it is a waste of time to try and reason with them.

You should know that those who only get to see these guys on game day know a hell of lot more about who has the most talent on this team. Who needs to be at practice every day and working with these kids everyday to know that. Allbuffers know who is more talented then the coaches. It is clearly obvious that the coaches intentionally play the worse people on the team to lose games. Thinking anything else on this board is just going to get labels as Hawkins ball juggler.

Well, coach hawk is going to be the one taking the highway if he continues to leave speed and talent on the bench in favor of practice warriors. Is espy a better blocker in the running game? Is he faster? Simmons and the rest can't run a 3yd curl route?

To bad you refuse to see the obvious answer to this.

Trying to be rational with the Hawkins Haters is useless at this point. They have their ill informed positions and at this point it is a waste of time to try and reason with them.

You should know that those who only get to see these guys on game day know a hell of lot more about who has the most talent on this team. Who needs to be at practice every day and working with these kids everyday to know that. Allbuffers know who is more talented then the coaches. It is clearly obvious that the coaches intentionally play the worse people on the team to lose games. Thinking anything else on this board is just going to get labels as Hawkins ball juggler.

Rep. At some point, this is delusional. Im not a Hawkins supporter...Im taking the wait and see approach. He needs to ****ing win. But the crap on this board lately is in line with some of the most stupid ass conspiracy theories Ive seen. Get a grip, people..they're starting the people that make the most sense and not playing favorites.
Anybody still think Scott didnt play because of his work ethic and/or being in the dog house Saturday? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And Clemons personally told you this? Or is this just like all the other idle speculation that goes on around here lately?

sarcasm...i like your sensitivity to fact though. It has been a common theme of many posts on this board to Hawkins 'favoritism'. chill chilly.

I don't know which WR's have the most talent. I do know that some are over 6' and fast and others are under 5'9 and not fast.

The short slow guys have been playing and our passing game is last in the big 12 and we have not played anyone good. At this point why not let the tall fast guys play every down? Who cares if they don't run all the right routes? The offense can't any worse and at least there would be a chance of making a big play.

I don't know what the starting WR's YAC stats are, but it does not take much to tackle 5'9" and slow. At least having bigger WR offers us a chance at breaking some tackles after the 4 yard completion.

IF we get killed by WVU I think it is time to make changes and let guys get game experience for the rest of the year.

After WVU does it matter if the team finishes 1-11 or 3-9?

Bench CH, and if they don't want to burn the red shirt on TH, let Evans play.

Use the rest of the season as as tryouts to see who can play next year.

You seriously think this offense would be better having fast receivers run the wrong routes and missing assignments?

Anybody still think Scott didnt play because of his work ethic and/or being in the dog house Saturday? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

YES.

Based on history. 1 carry vs. CSU. Juicebox says he was "dinged" yet returned kickoffs the entire game.

If he was hurt and not going to play vs. WY why was he even dressed?

I see. We have ill informed positions. I read the DC article about the "learning curve". Apparently it takes an advanced degree in aerospace engineering to even begin to comprehend "THE SYSTEM". Espy and Ebner must be freakin geniuses to have been able to figure out how to run 3 yard curls and outs. Oh I know there's soooo much more to it than that. Our offense is so sophisticated and complex because it's unstoppable when run correctly right? Only Espy and the walk-on army know how to operate it so it must be working no? I mean haven't we been one of the top offenses in the conference these last few years? Haven't we been piling up wins like cordwood? What's that you say? We haven't? I must be thinking of my NCAA 10 dynasty.

Anybody still think Scott didnt play because of his work ethic and/or being in the dog house Saturday? :rolleyes:

YES.

Based on history. 1 carry vs. CSU. Juicebox says he was "dinged" yet returned kickoffs the entire game.

If he was hurt and not going to play vs. WY why was he even dressed?[/QUOTE]

So, Scott is lying too??:confused::wow:

You seriously think this offense would be better having fast receivers run the wrong routes and missing assignments?

It would be no worse than it is now. I don't think that they would run the wrong routes on every play, nor do I think that they would miss assignments on every play. Their athleticism also give the offense a better chance of making big plays down field.

I do think that the game experience gained would be far greater than anything bad that could happen on any given play.

And it's too early/unfair to the seniors to "have tryouts" for the rest of the year.

we have the talent on this team, and he have athletes...they just don't see the field. Other teams are playing their superior athletes and it is showing on the field. Let them make mistakes, get them game experience. Simmons worked his ass off to get here, and he only has 2 years of eligibility. Play the man, use him. Simas is hurt, and in trouble, so no argument there. Scott, play him if he is not hurt...ride him like the horse he supposedly is.

Hey buddy how about you come down off your high horse and walk among us mere mortals. THE SYSTEM is garbage to begin with. All these 'groupings' have just made a Rube Goldberg machine out of the offense. Football is a simple game. Blocking and tackling, running between the tackles, passing and catching. Give me 11 talented athletes, I'll draw up plays in the sand for them and they'll beat hawk's walk-on army 99% of the time. He knows this, we know this, YOU know this. Now, you've made some decent points but I don't understand why you carry water for hawk. He's lost all credibility with the majority of us and there's only one way to get it back.

Win.

Hey buddy how about you come down off your high horse and walk among us mere mortals. THE SYSTEM is garbage to begin with. All these 'groupings' have just made a Rube Goldberg machine out of the offense. Football is a simple game. Blocking and tackling, running between the tackles, passing and catching. Give me 11 talented athletes, I'll draw up plays in the sand for them and they'll beat hawk's walk-on army 99% of the time. He knows this, we know this, YOU know this. Now, you've made some decent points but I don't understand why you carry water for hawk. He's lost all credibility with the majority of us and there's only one way to get it back.

Win.

This one sentence alone puts this post right in the garbage can right along with 1/2 the other posts on here lately.

You can draw plays in the sand, I'll take a system where everyone knows what to do, and we'll see what happens. Dumbest **** I've ever heard. That being said, I agree that we need a combination.....talented athletes and a system (ie...not drawing plays in the sand). I think thats "talkins" goal...get to a point where we have both. Hopefully they're ready for West Virginia.

This one sentence alone puts this post right in the garbage can right along with 1/2 the other posts on here lately.

Ouch. That really gets me right here. Thank god for super fans like you chilly. I don't know what hawk would do without you.

You can draw plays in the sand, I'll take a system where everyone knows what to do, and we'll see what happens. Dumbest **** I've ever heard. That being said, I agree that we need a combination.....talented athletes and a system (ie...not drawing plays in the sand). I think thats "talkins" goal...get to a point where we have both. Hopefully they're ready for West Virginia.

Something we can all agree on!:thumbsup:

Keep carrying water for hawk. It's noble work you're doing. If you let me pick my 11 players from the all conference Big XII list you can have hawk, his walk ons and THE SYSTEM. I'll beat you.

First of all---im not arguing who would beat who. If you think calling plays sandlot style will work, so be it. As for "carrying water for Hawk", I'm not sure if you have comprehension issues, but, ive repeatedly said that Im not a Hawkins supporter. Im also not a conspiracy theory advocate. As I've said, IN THIS THREAD, it doesnt look like Hawkins is the answer. However, he's not playing favortisms with Cody, Scott is hurt, he's getting the WR's to the point where they SHOULD be on the field (even they agree and have said that), and he understands football. Period. Huge difference between arguing Hawkins system isnt working and saying some of the insane, overboard comments that have been said here.

YES.

If he was hurt and not going to play vs. WY why was he even dressed?

Buff Fanatic said:
So, Scott is lying too??:confused::wow:

Yeah, lying to cover for the coach when he gets benched for his bad attitude makes perfect sense to me. Do you see some problem with that theory???? :lol:

First of all---im not arguing who would beat who. If you think calling plays sandlot style will work, so be it. As for "carrying water for Hawk", I'm not sure if you have comprehension issues, but, ive repeatedly said that Im not a Hawkins supporter. Im also not a conspiracy theory advocate. As I've said, IN THIS THREAD, it doesnt look like Hawkins is the answer. However, he's not playing favortisms with Cody, Scott is hurt, he's getting the WR's to the point where they SHOULD be on the field (even they agree and have said that), and he understands football. Period. Huge difference between arguing Hawkins system isnt working and saying some of the insane, overboard comments that have been said here.

Talking about sandlot plays was pure hyperbole, I only wanted to illustrate a point by using an absurd metaphor. How you got that I was advocating that we actually do that is beyond me. As for your support of hawk, I don't give a damn if you do or don't but you consistantly defend THE SYSTEM as if it exists in a vacuum. It doesn't. It's part and parcel of the man himself. I condemn the man and his system (root and branch) for being abject failures. That's all this is about. I don't hate Espy and the walk-ons but I firmly believe that speed, strength and size should trump book smarts. It's all well and good to praise Espy and company for their work ethic but what has it produced? 14-26 in hawk's 4th year. 14-30 since november of 2005.

"Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing-the result."

-Vince Lombardi

Saying Scotty and Espy are not deep threats is now an ill-informed position? Saying safeties cheat up when they are in the game is an ill-informed position?

How so? Enlighten me...

:rofl2:

Any truly rational poster would realize that McKnight and Espinoza are likely to All Big12 1st team, 1st team All Americans, and Heisman runner ups (2nd and 3rd, respectively), idiot.

Saying Scotty and Espy are not deep threats is now an ill-informed position? Saying safeties cheat up when they are in the game is an ill-informed position?

How so? Enlighten me...

:rofl2:

If you want to argue, that we don't have a consistent deep threat on the team, and we need to develop one. . Fine, no argument from me that we need to see some of the young WR break through and fill that roll.

But you know as well as I do, that is not the crap being thrown out there lately. No instead all we here about is how XYZ doesn't play because he is not tight with Cody or some other kind of utter BS! Those with the ill-informed positions are the ones who are on here trying to pretend as if they know more about these players then the coaching staff.

Please tell me. What have you SEEN that makes Simas, Simmons, Jefferson, or Wright the better WR? Outside of some stats sheets, my guess is little to none. I surely haven't seen anything yet, that is because, just like 99% of the posters on here spewing vile, I am not allowed to attend practices, or go to team meetings, or attend the player work outs. These WR may have all the potential in the world on paper, which I am sure Hawkins believes as well, since he recruited them. But having potential only gets you so far.

If you guys don't think a WR needs to understand what his responsibilities are on the field, and be able to execute those responsibilities CONSISTENTLY, for an offense to move the ball, then, as much as I hate to say it this way. You guys don't know Jack ****z about playing organized football.

We have a very young and loaded WR group this year. To act as if they shold be able to step on the field day 1 and put up stats like Westbrook in his senior year are foolish. Not only is it unrealistic, it is unfair pressure on them. It has nothing to do with THE SYSTEM. There are much more complicated WR packages being run in the Big 12 compared to what we are trying to run at this point in our offense. This offense has been simplified to a degree. Give the kids time to pick this stuff up and good things will happen, but expecting 1st year WR to come in on day 1 and save this program is over the top.

If you want to argue, that we don't have a consistent deep threat on the team, and we need to develop one. . Fine, no argument from me that we need to see some of the young WR break through and fill that roll.

That is exactly what I am saying. If what you are doing isn't working, you need to change it.

Please tell me. What have you SEEN that makes Simas, Simmons, Jefferson, or Wright the better WR?

They're bigger, faster, and the opposing defense actually has to worry about giving up big plays when they are in the game.

But having potential only gets you so far.

Agreed. But playing practice warriors only gets you so far, too. And the upside isn't there for a guy like Espy like it is for a Simmons, Simas, Jefferson or Wright. Espy isn't going to grow 6 inches and shave a few tenths off his 40 time. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

If you guys don't think a WR needs to understand what his responsibilities are on the field, and be able to execute those responsibilities CONSISTENTLY, for an offense to move the ball, then, as much as I hate to say it this way. You guys don't know Jack ****z about playing organized football.

What they are doing with the WRs ISN'T WORKING. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to say.

Yes, the younger guys will make more mistakes. They'll miss some assignments. They'll probably run the wrong routes at times. But they bring things - notably size and speed - to the table that aren't there with guys who are currently getting the lion's share of the snaps.

And those things, particularly the speed, should also help open up the running game by moving the safeties back a couple of steps.

To piggy-back on what rino said...

With this personnel grouping BS...all he is doing when he puts them in for their 5 plays or whatever it is, is telling the defense what they plan on doing. be more creative out there and give the athletes and opportunity to perform. sink or swim.

I live 600 mile away and haven't been to a game this year. Question for anyone who has been to the games - How much time are the inexperienced WR's getting on the field?? Are they getting the chance to prove their mettle and gain the on the job training they need or because Hawk only trusts Espy and Scotty are they the ones one the field most of the time??

One catch apiece for each of the other WR's after three games has me wondering.

I live 600 mile away and haven't been to a game this year. Question for anyone who has been to the games - How much time are the inexperienced WR's getting on the field?? Are they getting the chance to prove their mettle and gain the on the job training they need or because Hawk only trusts Espy and Scotty are they the ones one the field most of the time??

One catch apiece for each of the other WR's after three games has me wondering.

If it's a 2 WR set, Scotty and Espy are the 2 for probably 80+% of the snaps (unscientific assessment based on what I saw Saturday). If they go to a 3 WR set, then Simas/Simmons/Jefferson/Wright get to split time on that 3rd spot.

I would guess Scotty is on the field for 95% of the offensive snaps, maybe even closer to 100%. I'd put Espy at 80%. The other guys clean up the scraps.

If it's a 2 WR set, Scotty and Espy are the 2 for probably 80+% of the snaps (unscientific assessment based on what I saw Saturday). If they go to a 3 WR set, then Simas/Simmons/Jefferson/Wright get to split time on that 3rd spot.

I would guess Scotty is on the field for 95% of the offensive snaps, maybe even closer to 100%. I'd put Espy at 80%. The other guys clean up the scraps.

That's what I figured would be the case. So many things you just can't pick up in practice. For all his lip service to their gains in practice I wonder how far away from ready Hawkins considers them to be. I don't think we will see any of them on the field much this season.

Back