What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Starting QB?

Thankfully, you don't have to do anything to redshirt a guy. You just don't play him. So they can go with that plan and then pull the shirt if the need arises. Not a bad idea, actually, so long as Cody is the best QB right now. I believe he probably is, BTW.

Here's the problem I see with that strategy - let's say we're up by 35 late in the 3rd quarter against Wyoming (thinking positive here), do you want your starter (Cody) out there still taking snaps to preserve Tyler's redshirt?

You'd be risking injury to your starting QB playing behind 2nd team OL, plus that's a great opportunity to get you #2 QB some game reps.

I think the decision has been made. Hansen talked about possibly reshirting this year if CH is the starter in today's camera article (not a good idea and could be a whole other discussion). you don't say things like that if you are really battling for the job. It also sounds like cody is getting most of the reps with the first team.

Honestly, if we were to want to get a redshirt in on Hansen, he would play this year while the new kids redshirt, then Hansen redshirt next year while the RS frosh could back up Cody, then have two years to play.

Of course, after next year Clark Evans will take us to 4 straight MNC FTW, so this is all a moo point.:lol:

moo.jpg

Bingo. No one wants to say it, but what if neither guy is good enough?

Yeah, it worrisome to me that you have a 2 year starter who also had a redshirt year who is being pushed by an unheralded recruit with little experience. That tells me that Cody has hit his ceiling.

Frankly, I think QB play will hold us back this year because Hawkins is obviously going to start and he isn't very good.

How long until the coaches get a real QB in here?

Here's the problem I see with that strategy - let's say we're up by 35 late in the 3rd quarter against Wyoming (thinking positive here), do you want your starter (Cody) out there still taking snaps to preserve Tyler's redshirt?

You'd be risking injury to your starting QB playing behind 2nd team OL, plus that's a great opportunity to get you #2 QB some game reps.

If you are serious about redshirting the kid, you put in your #3 QB in that scenario.

I don't think Hansen redshirts, BTW, but it is an interesting thought.

I think Cody is our guy. Sure he has had his struggles but let's look back at the last 3 games of the year for Cody.

1 - Came in in the 2nd half of the Iowa State game and averted disaster, he was on fire and saved that game for us.
2- Okie State, played well all game long and kept us in that game right until the very end against a very good team.
3- Nebraska, put up great numbers and made all the throws and we nearly pulled that off.

So my point here is that even though we only won 1 of those games Cody played very well, I think another off season getting stronger knowing the playbook and a healthy O line will make a world of difference. So, Cody is our guy.

My 2 cents.

I think Cody is our guy. Sure he has had his struggles but let's look back at the last 3 games of the year for Cody.

1 - Came in in the 2nd half of the Iowa State game and averted disaster, he was on fire and saved that game for us.
2- Okie State, played well all game long and kept us in that game right until the very end against a very good team.
3- Nebraska, put up great numbers and made all the throws and we nearly pulled that off.

So my point here is that even though we only won 1 of those games Cody played very well, I think another off season getting stronger knowing the playbook and a healthy O line will make a world of difference. So, Cody is our guy.

My 2 cents.

All of the above is true. Go back and watch the ISU game though. All but about 4 of CH's completions were dumps over the middle to Sumler. ISU had gone prevent and clearly was scheming to stop TH and his running ability. They couldn't adjust and CU barely avoided an embarassing loss at home to a team that had one of the very worst defenses in the entire nation. Not exactly the kind of stuff that inspires confidence in the O at this point. I hope you are right. A big more experienced, and healthy, OL will go a long ways to making the Qb and the O in general better.

Agree here.

This is one of those "not as close as the score appears" type games. We were never a true threat to win that game. We never got closer than 10 points. I would also argue that game highlighted some weaknesses in his game too. We scored 17 points, but one of those TDs was set up by a fairly long interception return. He threw for less than 200 yards and averaged less than 5 yards a attempt. That is not good at all.

I think great numbers is a stretch here. He had nice yardage, but he also threw 3 INTs (and I realize the last one was when the game was all but over). Not a bad game, but not a great game either.

I just cannot believe some of the posts here. Sheesh. Hansen/Hawk or Hawk/Hansen will be about 60/40 or 70/30 in playing time. Hansen will, in know way, red shirt. One, because he is too good to red shirt and, two, because of recruiting.

Frankly, I think QB play will hold us back this year because Hawkins is obviously going to start and he isn't very good.

How long until the coaches get a real QB in here?

When someone figures out how to seal the deal and probably when cody graduates.

We have had qb's managing the offense now for 13 years, time for a QB to be a play maker with this offense and improve the offense.

I would try to redshirt Hansen, and absolutely 100% redshirt Clark.

Start and play Cody at all times, and use one of the other true freshmen as a fill-in, if necessary.

The only way I would play Hansen this season would be if: A) he is the starting QB from day 1, or B) Cody Hawkins is lost for the season due to injury.

I would try to redshirt Hansen, and absolutely 100% redshirt Clark.

Start and play Cody at all times, and use one of the other true freshmen as a fill-in, if necessary.

The only way I would play Hansen this season would be if: A) he is the starting QB from day 1, or B) Cody Hawkins is lost for the season due to injury.

I can't see it happening, but I agree a redshirt would be a good strategy for Hansen, he deserved one last year and if he's willing, let him redshirt this year. Then you have an experienced and more mature guy when Cody is a senior.

But that means Slota or Lobato has to be the backup. Possible, but a way it's an interesting scenario. Cody has to stay healthy, or Hansen sits out 3/4ths th season, whatever, until then when we need him, he is asked to burn the redshirt ... again? THAT would not make me happy.

So it seems unlikely.

I can't see it happening, but I agree a redshirt would be a good strategy for Hansen, he deserved one last year and if he's willing, let him redshirt this year. Then you have an experienced and more mature guy when Cody is a senior.

But that means Slota or Lobato has to be the backup. Possible, but a way it's an interesting scenario. Cody has to stay healthy, or Hansen sits out 3/4ths th season, whatever, until then when we need him, he is asked to burn the redshirt ... again? THAT would not make me happy.

So it seems unlikely.

Has Cody ever been injured? I don't remember him missing time in the past two seasons due to injury.

I just cannot believe some of the posts here. Sheesh. Hansen/Hawk or Hawk/Hansen will be about 60/40 or 70/30 in playing time. Hansen will, in know way, red shirt. One, because he is too good to red shirt and, two, because of recruiting.

If we're splitting the playing time 60/40, I'm going to be pretty disappointed in this staff.

Unless it works. Then they are brilliant.

:smile2:

Well yeah. I guess I just see it as if the coaches are willing to play Hansen that much (either 60% or 40%) in the hypothetical situation, then just play him full-time.

Isn't the theory that other teams will have a harder time preparing if they don't know who is going to be on the field at any time?

That's a theory to a certain point. I think it loses its value as the season progresses when opponents have broken down tendencies/situations when each guy plays extensively.

There's also a theory that rotations at QB generally prevent either QB from establishing a rhythm or consistency.

IF in fact the QB battle is dead even and both are playing well, I have to go back to what I said all of last year. Cody's hit his ceiling. He can be productive if our offense has a good running threat and our O-Line can protect AND our WR's can keep the D honest. But he will never make athletic plays or be able to throw the deep ball well.

I have no idea how well Hansen is coming along in terms of staying in the pocket and going thru progressions (something he flat out couldn't do last year, to no surprise). If he's made enough progress to truly make this a dead heat, don't you go with the guy who has just 1 year in the program and is certainly more athletic and by most accounts, has a stronger arm?

I want every win we can get. But if that number is about the same either way, I want to see whoever has the higher ceiling and will benefit from playing time.

The intangible is that Cody knows the system better, he is like a coach on the field, and the team follows him-- he is a high energy leader. I still think he starts, but think Hansen plays quite a bit.

I could be proven totally wrong here, but I think that the decision has already been made.

Per reports in the media, TH missed a good portion of the practices last week due to illness. Meanwhile, the team was installing its game plan for CSU. You have to actually practice to be on top of a game plan, especially at QB.

Read between the lines here.

Back