What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steven Montez is the ****

All these interviews they've been putting out are dope. These kids have so much character and passion. This team will be fun to watch

You had me and then I read the last sentence. Hmmm.
ram_this_t_shirt.jpg

Would be huge to finally have great qb play back in boulder.

You could argue that when it comes to a passing QB CU has never had a "great" one. We had a great option QB in Hagan, better to call him a magician but if Montez is as good as some have dreamed he becomes he could be the best passing QB we have ever had in his first year of starting and certainly before he ends his career here.

You could argue that when it comes to a passing QB CU has never had a "great" one. We had a great option QB in Hagan, better to call him a magician but if Montez is as good as some have dreamed he becomes he could be the best passing QB we have ever had in his first year of starting and certainly before he ends his career here.
Detmer was a great passing QB.

Liufau, while far from perfect, still does not get enough respect from fans.

Ok question for ya. Who would you rather have had running the option, albeit a different one, Stewart or Hagan?

Detmer was a great passing QB.

I'd call Detmer a very good college passing QB but he wasn't great. To think of Detmer as our best passing QB shows that we haven't had a truly great one.

I know that the college game and the pro game are two different things but if you can pass the ball the NFL is going to give you a shot. How many CU QBs have the pros been excited about.

Kordell had the big arm but had to be slash for a couple years before they even tried him at QB. Detmer was a career back-up, a good chunk of it 3rd string. Go back to the 70's we had a guy who got some time as an NFL sub. Who else?

Liufau, while far from perfect, still does not get enough respect from fans.
I respect Sefo a lot, he has most of the CU records and did it for part of the time when he was all CU had. He is as tough a QB as I have ever seen and a great leader. He is a good passer but not great. Didn't throw well to the flats, his deep ball tended to float, and he threw a lot of inopportune pick sixs.

Ok question for ya. Who would you rather have had running the option, albeit a different one, Stewart or Hagan?

Had Kordell and the Buffs stayed with the option it would have been illegal. He was so fast and so strong and would have been a huge threat throwing out of the option. That said Hagan was pure magic with the option. If I needed a guy to lead a great team to the national championship in the option Hagan would be the man.

I'd call Detmer a very good college passing QB but he wasn't great. To think of Detmer as our best passing QB shows that we haven't had a truly great one.

I know that the college game and the pro game are two different things but if you can pass the ball the NFL is going to give you a shot. How many CU QBs have the pros been excited about.

Kordell had the big arm but had to be slash for a couple years before they even tried him at QB. Detmer was a career back-up, a good chunk of it 3rd string. Go back to the 70's we had a guy who got some time as an NFL sub. Who else?
#1 in the Big 12 in Completions, Yards, Yards Per Attempt, Touchdowns and Passing Efficiency in 96. That satisfies my definition of a great passing college QB.

I respect Sefo a lot, he has most of the CU records and did it for part of the time when he was all CU had. He is as tough a QB as I have ever seen and a great leader. He is a good passer but not great. Didn't throw well to the flats, his deep ball tended to float, and he threw a lot of inopportune pick sixs.

Had Kordell and the Buffs stayed with the option it would have been illegal. He was so fast and so strong and would have been a huge threat throwing out of the option. That said Hagan was pure magic with the option. If I needed a guy to lead a great team to the national championship in the option Hagan would be the man.
Fair enough, I'm not sure which I'd take honestly. About Detmer, he was the qb in that Wiscy game, I remember that. They kept running this half ass rollout and he'd throw it across the field to Carruth. After that, forget it. Detmer could definitely throw the rock.

I don't want to sound like I am down on Detmer, he was a great Buff and will always be a part of great memories.

That said though compare him to our conference mates in both the PAC and B12. At how many PAC schools would he have been the greatest passing QB? How about in the B12?

Answer, not many.

CU has had truly great players at virtually every position, all-Americans, Butkis winners, Thorpe winners, high picks in the NFL draft. The one glaring weakness is at QB. That doesn't mean that we haven't had good QBs but great is another level.

Montez certainly isn't there yet either and for a guy who hasn't even been the regular starter yet that is an unfair burden but it looks like he has the ingredients to stand out.

I don't want to sound like I am down on Detmer, he was a great Buff and will always be a part of great memories.

That said though compare him to our conference mates in both the PAC and B12. At how many PAC schools would he have been the greatest passing QB? How about in the B12?

Answer, not many.

CU has had truly great players at virtually every position, all-Americans, Butkis winners, Thorpe winners, high picks in the NFL draft. The one glaring weakness is at QB. That doesn't mean that we haven't had good QBs but great is another level.

Montez certainly isn't there yet either and for a guy who hasn't even been the regular starter yet that is an unfair burden but it looks like he has the ingredients to stand out.
We weren't an offense for passing QBs until Detmer, though. He's a better passing QB than anyone Nebraska has ever had, for example. That's another run-based offense historically that has transitioned in the same relative time period. We went a little earlier with Kordell, but that was before offensive coordinators figured out what to do with a talent like that. He'd have been even more amazing in a Rich Rod or Kelly offense.

Back