What's new

Steven Montez returning?

HighlandsBuff

Club Member
Club Member
It's a good provision for stability through a coaching change. I've generally like Montez- but never more than 2016 in Eugene...

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
Just gotta bring back the whole offensive staff for continuity purposes. Make sure Montez is extremely comfortable.
Yea, he was quite hopeful that they would put him in a position to win by the time the Cal game rolled around.

Mick Ronson

senior qb is almost always a better thing than the alternative (and has to be attractive to prospective coaching candidates....you got a guy until you get the lie of the land, feet wet, etc.). 2016 Sefo reference here somewhere....too.

BuffsNYC

Clubber Lang
Club Member
Whiners. I guarantee you Hawk beats Montana State if Barney hadn't burned Klatt's redshirt against Baylor.

bpc5180

lol , i love that he had to talk to his family about coming back. Like, did you just see your last game? who's going to draft that mess?

Mick Ronson

Whiners. I guarantee you Hawk beats Montana State if Barney hadn't burned Klatt's redshirt against Baylor.
good one.....my alternative time line is Colt Brennan keeps it in his pants whilst in Boulder and doesn't lead the nation in passing TD....at Hawaii. most points in a season, most TD's in NCAA etc....23-3 as a JR and SR starter.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I hope he proves me wrong, but it has nothing to do with talent that is holding Montez back.
I think we'll be amazed at how much better he gets if the OL protection gets better along with the route designs & play calling improving. We know the holes in his game, but those aren't the types of holes that usually hurt a college QB & offense like we've been seeing. Hell, Tee Martin and Tim Tebow were some of the most efficient college passers in the nation and Montez doesn't have the limitations they did. There are a ton of less talented examples, too.

Duff Man

Club Member
Junta Member
I think we'll be amazed at how much better he gets if the OL protection gets better along with the route designs & play calling improving. We know the holes in his game, but those aren't the types of holes that usually hurt a college QB & offense like we've been seeing. Hell, Tee Martin and Tim Tebow were some of the most efficient college passers in the nation and Montez doesn't have the limitations they did. There are a ton of less talented examples, too.
But what about leadership?

JMBuffs

good one.....my alternative time line is Colt Brennan keeps it in his pants whilst in Boulder and doesn't lead the nation in passing TD....at Hawaii. most points in a season, most TD's in NCAA etc....23-3 as a JR and SR starter.
I like to think of the possibility that Seau almost committed to Mac....Chad Brown, Alfred Williams, Ted Johnson, Kanavis McGhee, and Seau would have been insane!

Uncle Luko

Peckerwood
Club Member
Montez was the first guy out on the field helping up teammates and checking on guys when they were hurt. First guy congratulating his teammates when they made a play. There was nothing wrong with his leadership this year.
That depends on how you define leadership, no? Those things you mention are easy to do. When the **** hits the fan, what happened?

PAHIBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Where was he going to go?
If we set aside our Black/Gold glasses for a minute there's a viable argument that SM might be well served by "senior grad transferring" to any P5, G5, or FCS program with a QB need and an above average OL. Joe Flacco would not be in the NFL if he hadn't transferred from Penn State to Delaware. I'm not sure that CU's OL is going to be vastly better next year, and there are questions at RB. I'm happy he's coming back but there's as much risk for him
in doing so than in Grad Transferring.

Bliff Cranch

Should be in the Fall of Hame
Club Member
If we set aside our Black/Gold glasses for a minute there's a viable argument that SM might be well served by "senior grad transferring" to any P5, G5, or FCS program with a QB need and an above average OL. Joe Flacco would not be in the NFL if he hadn't transferred from Penn State to Delaware. I'm not sure that CU's OL is going to be vastly better next year, and there are questions at RB. I'm happy he's coming back but there's as much risk for him
in doing so than in Grad Transferring.
Truth, this.