What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steven Montez returning?

Love SM, a Buff for the last 4yrs returning for his 5th year. Have all the skillls to be a great Buff, reading defense and leadership continues to be the rumor as his kryptonite. My concern for him is not looking at the NFL or his return, Coach Tucker came from Georgia and he saw what Coach Smart did to his starting QB from the previous year. Below comments from an article

“Eason was a five-star recruit from Lake Stevens High School near Seattle. He signed with Georgia in 2016 and started as a freshman, but injured his knee in last season's opener and never could regain his starting job from freshman Jake Fromm. Georgia went to the national title game with Fromm and soon after Eason said he was transferring back home.” (University of Washington)

May be the starting QB for Washington next year.

I think every starting position is on the line. Per Coach Tucker in his press conference “the expectation is pretty high.” “This is a No excuse Program”.

I remember when Coach MikeMac took over, kept Connor Wood as the starting QB and replaced him with Sefo in the 5th game. I think Coach Tucker will not hesitate to go with a freshman or a young QB on the roster to compete on game day.

Anyways, best wishes to SM and all the QBs next year. Go Buff!

I don't know about any of the day to day details, but he seems like a good kid and he has a very good QB skill set. It does seem that figuring it out in distress is not a strong suit of his. But honestly it almost looked by about week 9 or 10 that he was punch drunk on the field. Like he lost any mental edge he had because he was waiting for the next big hit. Jim Everett syndrome.

If we set aside our Black/Gold glasses for a minute there's a viable argument that SM might be well served by "senior grad transferring" to any P5, G5, or FCS program with a QB need and an above average OL. Joe Flacco would not be in the NFL if he hadn't transferred from Penn State to Delaware. I'm not sure that CU's OL is going to be vastly better next year, and there are questions at RB. I'm happy he's coming back but there's as much risk for him
in doing so than in Grad Transferring.

Nothing to be gained by transferring down a level when you are the starter at the highest level. Only reason to grad transfer would be if a Russel Wilson like opportunity (NC State to Wiscy) was open. Not sure if there is a top figteen program in dire need of QB.

I don't know about any of the day to day details, but he seems like a good kid and he has a very good QB skill set. It does seem that figuring it out in distress is not a strong suit of his. But honestly it almost looked by about week 9 or 10 that he was punch drunk on the field. Like he lost any mental edge he had because he was waiting for the next big hit. Jim Everett syndrome.
Okay, Chris

Nothing to be gained by transferring down a level when you are the starter at the highest level. Only reason to grad transfer would be if a Russel Wilson like opportunity (NC State to Wiscy) was open. Not sure if there is a top figteen program in dire need of QB.

My point was that he would be massively helped by putting together a full season of really good tape. Pro scouts don't care where you played.

SM will be a 5th year Senior. I want to see a (C) for Captain on his jersey. After 4yrs at CU/2yrs as the starter and not selected as a team Captain by his peers speaks volumes of him behind the scenes the last 2yrs and not what’s on the screen. I hope he get it this year, C’mon man!

Per Coach Tucker “This a No Excuse Program“

As I, and others have pointed out, the QB draft class in 2019 is going to be pretty down. The 2020 class is going to have A LOT of talent. Montez is going to have to improve by quite a lot to be considered one of the top QB's next year. He would be one of the top ones in this class.

Montez is far from one of the top QBs in the 2019 class. If he kept up his stats from the first 5 games he would have been fine but that dropoff was huge. The 2019 class is thin at the top but has some depth to it which also doesn't help Steven. He isn't jumping Haskins, Lock, Jones, Finley, Thorson, Stidham or Grier and is in the group with the 6-7 rounders/UFA's.

Montez is far from one of the top QBs in the 2019 class. If he kept up his stats from the first 5 games he would have been fine but that dropoff was huge. The 2019 class is thin at the top but has some depth to it which also doesn't help Steven. He isn't jumping Haskins, Lock, Jones, Finley, Thorson, Stidham or Grier and is in the group with the 6-7 rounders/UFA's.
This is true, but think about how many NFL teams are on shaky ground at QB. There are numerous teams, like the Broncos, that are picking guys off the scrap heap, plus, the veterans who are good are nearing retirement (Brees, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers). In the NFL, most teams are always looking for that next guy.

Would he be transferring or declaring for the draft?
My guess is he is considering grad transferring to a place that doesn’t have an o-line who’s completely failed him game after game and might give him a chance to sit in the pocket for more than a half second. See if he can actually go through progressions with some time.

My guess is he is considering grad transferring to a place that doesn’t have an o-line who’s completely failed him game after game and might give him a chance to sit in the pocket for more than a half second. See if he can actually go through progressions with some time.
He wasn't on the list of buffs that graduated. Can you confirm he even has the option of grad transfer?

He wasn't on the list of buffs that graduated. Can you confirm he even has the option of grad transfer?
I cannot, I just know FHCMM had players on track to graduate in 3 and Steven has completed 4 so I just assumed. If he is close, he can use this semester and summer to finish any credits up he might be missing.

I cannot, I just know FHCMM had players on track to graduate in 3 and Steven has completed 4 so I just assumed. If he is close, he can use this semester and summer to finish any credits up he might be missing.
Makes sense, I forgot it is only January not May. For some reason I had it in my head the year was over now that football is done. I will crawl back to into my hole.

Montez should leave...

With his size, athleticism, toughness, and stats (inspite of a terrible O-line) I could see him jumping Thorson and Stidham. Stidham regressed significantly between 17 and 18 seasons, and Thorson chucked a ton of picks and has a lower completion percentage than Montez. Montez could even potentially jump Grier as scouts have reported that his arm strength is below average for an NFL starting QB.

Haskins, Lock, Jones go in the (1st Round)

Finley (2nd Round)

Grier, Montez, Stidham and Thorson (3rd/4th Round)

Montez should leave...

With his size, athleticism, toughness, and stats (inspite of a terrible O-line) I could see him jumping Thorson and Stidham. Stidham regressed significantly between 17 and 18 seasons, and Thorson chucked a ton of picks and has a lower completion percentage than Montez. Montez could even potentially jump Grier as scouts have reported that his arm strength is below average for an NFL starting QB.

Finley (2nd Round)

I would put a lot of money on Montez not going in the 3rd of 4th round.

Montez can't read college level defenses, why would anyone think he would do better in the pros? If he goes he will be a bust, but if he stays he may not start...he should go.

I would put a lot of money on Montez not going in the 3rd of 4th round.

QB's get drafted: JP Losman, Christian Ponder, Josh Freeman were all 1st rounders and their college stats look similar, if not worse than Montez.

It's a super weak QB class...Montez needs to strike while the iron is hot.

Montez should leave...

Finley (2nd Round)

Elway, is that you?

Elway, is that you?
You actually are helping me make my point

Elway, and other GM's fall in love with size, athleticism, the Combine. You telling me Montez wouldn't check all those boxes?

Oh yeah, here's another 1st rounder. Paxton Lynch.

6'5" 235 Lbs

Athletic

CareerColorado 56991662.169027.57.44623137.0
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Film wouldn't be the reason Montez left. In shorts he would leave NFL scouts pretty jacked up with his athleticism and big arm. This year is also ridiculously weak at QB. Definitely crazier things have happened than a big, athletic QB with a cannon getting drafted higher than expected..

You can't teach a QB how to grow taller or throw far, but you can teach him how to read a defense

You actually are helping me make my point

Elway, and other GM's fall in love with size, athleticism, the Combine. You telling me Montez wouldn't check all those boxes?

Oh yeah, here's another 1st rounder. Paxton Lynch.

6'5" 235 Lbs

Athletic

CareerColorado56991662.169027.57.44623137.0
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

No, I’m more saying Elway has bad choices for QB’s. You made my point though, Paxton Lynch. Lol

I'd hate to lose Montez, but I would also have to think that CU would be a cherry spot for any QB looking to transfer if he left.
Based on what? Montez got killed all last season, we don't have a proven RB nor do we have an offensive line that can let a QB hit read two much less let a passer sit back and showcase skills. Maybe De'Andre Johnson would want to come run around?

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-2019/

Didn't really see anyone I would be excited to have, but maybe I missed someone

Back