What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Still hoping it's CU & Utah to PAC12...

Totally agree. The Pac 10 has no title game and the worst TV deal in the BCS - their business model becomes less and less viable as compared to other conferences that are growing. I don't believe for a minute that Plan B is off the table.

Here is the balancing act. If the Pac10 adds CU & UU and can hold a CCG, then they get a better TV contract. They have to split that money to two extra schools, however. Like it or not, CU & UU simply don't bring enough prestige or money to the table. Increase the size of the pie but have to split it 12 ways instead of 10. I don't think the existing schools see this as a win, especially since there would be a lot of pain & expense involved in going through an expansion.

It may not be off the table completely, but I think it's a very long shot.

Edit - Just realized that Carolina said basically the same thing

UCLA fan chiming in here -- I hope that the extent of our expansion is adding Colorado and Utah. A lot of Pac 10 fans are very happy with our current 10 team set up, with round robins in both football and basketball, but if we wanted a FB championship game, this is the least "messy" option, plus it screws the AZ schools the least. This Pac 16 idea basically banishes the AZ schools to the East.

I "get" the $$$ argument of adding Texas and the other Big XII South teams. However I think that ruins the essence of our conference, and from what I can tell, every conference that Texas goes to, it seems to ruin.

Adding schools like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State does not make sense to me from an academic standpoint either (yes, I also "get" the political realities).

I know everyone says that the Pac 10 has the worst TV contract currently (and it is true). But people fail to overlook the fact that our contract is the oldest, and is coming up for renewal first, and even if we did NOTHING (i.e. no expansion), it would likely be improved. And adding a FB championship game would seem to make sense, with the addition of the SLC and DEN TV markets.

Interesting times, and I think the addition of Utah and Colorado only is not as far-fetched as people think, especially if Texas decides to stick with the Big XII.

UCLA fan chiming in here -- I hope that the extent of our expansion is adding Colorado and Utah. A lot of Pac 10 fans are very happy with our current 10 team set up, with round robins in both football and basketball, but if we wanted a FB championship game, this is the least "messy" option, plus it screws the AZ schools the least. This Pac 16 idea basically banishes the AZ schools to the East.

I "get" the $$$ argument of adding Texas and the other Big XII South teams. However I think that ruins the essence of our conference, and from what I can tell, every conference that Texas goes to, it seems to ruin.

Adding schools like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State does not make sense to me from an academic standpoint either (yes, I also "get" the political realities).

I know everyone says that the Pac 10 has the worst TV contract currently (and it is true). But people fail to overlook the fact that our contract is the oldest, and is coming up for renewal first, and even if we did NOTHING (i.e. no expansion), it would likely be improved. And adding a FB championship game would seem to make sense, with the addition of the SLC and DEN TV markets.

Interesting times, and I think the addition of Utah and Colorado only is not as far-fetched as people think, especially if Texas decides to stick with the Big XII.
I think most Buffs would agree UU and CU would be ideal additions to the Pac 10. The whole conference realignment deal was partially to get away from the B12 S schools (particularly UT). CU has little in common with the B12 S, except maybe OU and OSU, former Big 8 teams.

No matter how congenial UT is now, I hope the Pac 10 remembers UT truly believes theirs and Bevo's **** doesn't stink and they'll begin wondering why, after a couple of yeras, everybody doesn't see the beauty of the CCG and Conference offices being in Dallas. And BTW, why can't we have our own network and set the conference agenda for the annual meetings? Seriously, UT is a cancer to any conference, ask the old SWC then, and MU and NU now.

Amen, brother (but the more casual, less Baptist sorta "amen" you know?).

I grew up in Pac 10 country (Eugene area, but claim SD as home mostly) but graduated a proud Buff from CU in the early 90s. The Pac 10 has a unique feel, and Boulder is very compatible with the fans and towns associated with the Pac 10. Utah could fit too, I think.

By bringing in other teams you risk watering down those characteristics which are unique to the Pac 10...BUT...it's hard to snub a football giant like Oklahoma. Is it worth opening the floodgates for OSU and Tech? I'm not being judgmental, Stillwater and Lubbock are...well they're towns and I like their fans and whatnot...it's just not Pac 10. Texas is another discussion; but in the absence of the Texas posse, I think they could bring something to your conference as well. But yes, it will feel different. The times they are a changin'...

Amen, brother (but the more casual, less Baptist sorta "amen" you know?).

I grew up in Pac 10 country (Eugene area, but claim SD as home mostly) but graduated a proud Buff from CU in the early 90s. The Pac 10 has a unique feel, and Boulder is very compatible with the fans and towns associated with the Pac 10. Utah could fit too, I think.

By bringing in other teams you risk watering down those characteristics which are unique to the Pac 10...BUT...it's hard to snub a football giant like Oklahoma. Is it worth opening the floodgates for OSU and Tech? I'm not being judgmental, Stillwater and Lubbock are...well they're towns and I like their fans and whatnot...it's just not Pac 10. Texas is another discussion; but in the absence of the Texas posse, I think they could bring something to your conference as well. But yes, it will feel different. The times they are a changin'...

Basically this whole thing is up to Texas. If Texas decides to bolt to the Pac 10, they will bringing their friends (and likely Colorado at this insistence of the Pac 10) with them. If Texas decides to stay in the Big XII (along with its friends), I would imagine that CU will have a decision to make, because the Pac 10 will still be looking to expand, and as far as I know the invitation would already have been extended to CU (if the timelines are to be believed).

The budgets of the state schools like UCLA and Cal are being slashed, so there is incredible pressure to find any extra revenue that we can. If the addition of a FB championship game plus expanded viewing area helps the TV contract, we will expand. The big question is what value do the TV networks ascribe to Colorado and Utah? I would think it would be sufficient to overcome the "more mouths to feed" argument, but I have no idea.

At the end of the day, this is what is driving the discussion -- the hunt for much bigger revenue in this economic climate. It sucks that it all comes down to $$$, but it is what it is. Hopefully Colorado (and Utah) are viewed as valuable to the networks.

Sadly, I think the Pac-10 takes Colorado only if Texas comes too. The Pac-10 is more likely to petition the NCAA for a CCG than add just Utah and CU.

Carolina... is your avatar Shania Twain??

Terri Clark.

Here is the balancing act. If the Pac10 adds CU & UU and can hold a CCG, then they get a better TV contract. They have to split that money to two extra schools, however. Like it or not, CU & UU simply don't bring enough prestige or money to the table. Increase the size of the pie but have to split it 12 ways instead of 10. I don't think the existing schools see this as a win, especially since there would be a lot of pain & expense involved in going through an expansion.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, that I don't think CU and Utah would bring in enough extra revenue to offset the fact of having to now split the revenue 12 ways instead of 10.

No offense, but unless you work at one of the big networks, you have no idea how much CU and Utah are worth to a conference. I don't either, but I think it's pure speculation to assume they don't bring enough to the table - Denver and Salt lake are 2 large media markets.

No offense, but unless you work at one of the big networks, you have no idea how much CU and Utah are worth to a conference. I don't either, but I think it's pure speculation to assume they don't bring enough to the table - Denver and Salt lake are 2 large media markets.

No offense taken. I admit it is pure speculation on my part (plus a bit of grumblings I've read in the papers here). I don't disagree about Denver and SLC but I do question how popular CU and UU are in those markets.

Not only that, but adding Colorado and Utah also change how the ABC/ESPN Saturday viewing areas are split up. So, say Colorado and Utah come to the Pac 10. The 12:30 (Pacific) ABC game today is usually a Pac 10 game, and the area includes the West Coast (CA, WA, OR, HI, AK, NV, AZ, and ID). Adding Colorado and Utah expands that viewing area to include not only UT and CO, but also NM, WY, and MT at least -- states that currently get the Big XII regional game. Yeah, not huge populations, but suddenly you have every state West of the Dakotas & Kansas watching the Pac 10 regional games.

Sadly, I think the Pac-10 takes Colorado only if Texas comes too. The Pac-10 is more likely to petition the NCAA for a CCG than add just Utah and CU.

Why? Before Texas got involved in all this, there was no drama. It was fairly well understood that UU and CU would get invites. UU and CU were pretty cool with that, and were willing to make the move, and the Pac was pretty cool with it, too. Then UT got involved and all hell broke loose. You don't think the Pac schools noticed that? I would be surprised if there weren't more than one Pac President/AD/Regent who is having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about inviting all that drama into his/her conference.

Back