What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Still No Respect

A few days ago someone posted a Pac 12 prediction where we were listed as 2nd...so there's that. But yeah, no big deal that were not in some douche's preseason top 25.

I'm a bit surprised we're not thrown in the same category as Iowa State and Kansas State to be honest. Maybe I'm overrating CU and a bit of a homer, but I feel confident we could hang with either of those teams.

I'm a bit surprised we're not thrown in the same category as Iowa State and Kansas State to be honest. Maybe I'm overrating CU and a bit of a homer, but I feel confident we could hang with either of those teams.
I think we could too, but those programs have a bit more of a storied program then we do. Hopefully soon we can gain the respect of the media but quite honestly we don't deserve it yet.

Quit ****ing whining. We win one NCAA tournament game for the 1st time in 15 some years and you expect Katz to put us in the Top 25 after we lost two important parts of our team? Team finished 6th last year in a weak conference. Granted they got hot and won Pac 12 tourney and upset UNLV in tourney but during the year they weren't some dominant team in conference and out of conference. I like how the program is going and what Tad is building but just stop with the ****ing self pity BS. Get over yourself.

If your reading comprehension was up to par you may have noticed that I specifically said that I do not expect us to be put in the top-25. However when Joe Lunardi's bracketology page contains 76 teams and where not one of those teams thats seems ridiculous to me.

If your reading comprehension was up to par you may have noticed that I specifically said that I do not expect us to be put in the top-25. However when Joe Lunardi's bracketology page contains 76 teams and where not one of those teams thats seems ridiculous to me.

It really isn't that ridiculous. If we hadn't won the PAC12 Tourney, we would not have been considered in the final 12 discussion. We would be somewhere between 80-95.

It really isn't that ridiculous. If we hadn't won the PAC12 Tourney, we would not have been considered in the final 12 discussion. We would be somewhere between 80-95.

:nod: Buffs need at least 1 strong season where they don't need success in the conference tourney to make the dance before national perception will change.

:nod: Buffs need at least 1 strong season where they don't need success in the conference tourney to make the dance before national perception will change.

Yep. The conference tourney should be for bragging rights and seeding, not for earning a dance card.

Also, we didn't really beat anyone that was any good last year. We need to beat some good teams before we get respect.

A 6-seed who missed about 15 wide open threes and quite a few other contested threes in our game and only lost by 1. We were lucky to win that game, and they weren't that good of a team either.

I think we could too, but those programs have a bit more of a storied program then we do. Hopefully soon we can gain the respect of the media but quite honestly we don't deserve it yet.

Probably true, although ISU hasn't really had much more success over the last ten years. Can't see 'experts' making predictions over stuff that happened in the 90's-00's, honestly.

Also, we didn't really beat anyone that was any good last year. We need to beat some good teams before we get respect.

Either that or stop losing games they should win. I.E. Maryland, Wyoming at home, San Francisco, etc.

They were still a good team and pushed for the top 10 during the season.

It was a quality win. It wasn't the type of win that forces the nation to pay attention.

This year, we need to make some noise in the Charleston Classic. 7 of the 8 teams for the field have been announced: Baylor, Boston College, Charleston, Colorado, Dayton, St. John’s and SIU. So far, there's not a bad one in the bunch. None of those would qualify as a signature win, but if we won the tournament it would mean that we have 3 respected wins on a neutral court.

And we ended up 6th in the weak PAC where the regular season champ didn't even make the tourney. We had a great season for typical CU bball standards (although those standards are changing as we speak), but it still wasn't a great season. We still have a lot of improving to do and a lot of proving to do.

It was a quality win. It wasn't the type of win that forces the nation to pay attention.

This year, we need to make some noise in the Charleston Classic. 7 of the 8 teams for the field have been announced: Baylor, Boston College, Charleston, Colorado, Dayton, St. John’s and SIU. So far, there's not a bad one in the bunch. None of those would qualify as a signature win, but if we won the tournament it would mean that we have 3 respected wins on a neutral court.

That'd be a good start. Hell just getting to the winner side of the bracket for a change, and finishing 2-1 would work.

That'd be a good start. Hell just getting to the winner side of the bracket for a change, and finishing 2-1 would work.

Less than 2-1 and I will be very concerned about the remainder of the season. Similar to this year, but I don't want to have to win the PAC tourney to get to the dance. Not the right way to do it.

Less than 2-1 and I will be very concerned about the remainder of the season. Similar to this year, but I don't want to have to win the PAC tourney to get to the dance. Not the right way to do it.

Not the right way, but pretty fun.

Not the right way, but pretty fun.

:smile2: Yes. It was great for last year when my preseason expectations were to hopefully make the NIT. My expectations for this year are to be a sure NIT team, and hopefully have a regular season good enough for bubble talk. Then hopefully make a run in the PAC tourney to get into the Dance by resume, or by winning the autobid. Going 1-2 in that preseason tournament would put us in a position similar to last year and odds are way against winning PAC tourney, so I won't count on that as our ticket.

I honestly think it will take more than 1 strong season.

I agree. It takes longer from western teams to get national recognition. For example, I don't think the perception back east is that Washington has a good basketball program despite all their recent success. It's going to take years of being in the tourney every season and making a couple Elite 8 runs before CU is nationally recognized.

I agree. It takes longer from western teams to get national recognition. For example, I don't think the perception back east is that Washington has a good basketball program despite all their recent success. It's going to take years of being in the tourney every season and making a couple Elite 8 runs before CU is nationally recognized.
pac12N will help with that. a LOT.

I agree with your comment on western teams. There is also the fact that Colorado has never been a consistent power in BB in the memories of anyone in the media. We have had a few individual up years when we made the tourney, usually when we had an outstanding individual player like Chauncey but we have never had strings of consecutive years where we went to the tourner 3 straight or 2 out of 4 much less for 4-5 straight years. People in the media simply don't think of CU as a basketball school.

To change that we need a string of solid teams, multiple tourney bids and to advance when we get there.

Most of the media has at least heard of when CU was good in football. They have seen highlights from the Michigan game, the ND games for the NC, they have had reminders because of the players who went on to the pros after. BB doesn't have that so we have to win a bunch to put ourselves in their minds as a program that should be considered seriously.

Back