What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Still No Respect

I agree. It takes longer from western teams to get national recognition. For example, I don't think the perception back east is that Washington has a good basketball program despite all their recent success. It's going to take years of being in the tourney every season and making a couple Elite 8 runs before CU is nationally recognized.

I personally think it takes a run of 10 or so tourneys over 12 years or less (or so) before a program is nationally recognized now. Or a few tourney entrances if you're a small conference school. Doesn't happen in 5 years or less.

I personally think it takes a run of 10 or so tourneys over 12 years or less (or so) before a program is nationally recognized now. Or a few tourney entrances if you're a small conference school. Doesn't happen in 5 years or less.

Success is very shortlived in college sports unless you do make a huge statement over a 10-12 year span. Butler has 2 national championships from before tournament play (1924 and 1929) and lost in the finals of the Tourney in 2010 and 2011. They have made the tourney 6 of the last 10 years. They aren't considered a good basketball program. Yes, a good midmajor, so it isn't comparable, but recent success doesn't mean much.

And without a NC, I don't think it means much either. I believe that is Arizona never won their NC in '97, they would not be considered one of the best programs in the nation. Yes, they have a lot of recent success with Final 4 and Elite 8 appearances, but even this year we had a split discussion on whether they really are a top program and they made the Elite 8 in 2011. I don't care much for respect until we win a National Championship, and I do believe we will get there at some point. Even after, that respect can go away, as we have seen with our football team just 15 years after our NC.

Success is very shortlived in college sports unless you do make a huge statement over a 10-12 year span. Butler has 2 national championships from before tournament play (1924 and 1929) and lost in the finals of the Tourney in 2010 and 2011. They have made the tourney 6 of the last 10 years. They aren't considered a good basketball program. Yes, a good midmajor, so it isn't comparable, but recent success doesn't mean much.

And without a NC, I don't think it means much either. I believe that is Arizona never won their NC in '97, they would not be considered one of the best programs in the nation. Yes, they have a lot of recent success with Final 4 and Elite 8 appearances, but even this year we had a split discussion on whether they really are a top program and they made the Elite 8 in 2011. I don't care much for respect until we win a National Championship, and I do believe we will get there at some point. Even after, that respect can go away, as we have seen with our football team just 15 years after our NC.

NC is definitely key. Arizona's championship squad was not even close to their best ironically. But, before this year they went to about 23 of 25 tourneys. Not too shabby, and one of the best streaks in the nation. They're legit, basically the Buffalo Bills of 20 years ago but with a NC... Arizona's recruiting of late is not a shocker at all, they have a solid program with rabid fans. Moreso than any other team in the Pac right now...

And yes, respect goes away quickly. But it's sure nice to be recognized and talked about:thumbsup:

As an aside, if you don't think Arizona has been a traditionally strong program (under Lute Olsen), then you're probably too young...

Under Olsen (not so long ago), Arizona was a top, elite program, as strong as any in the country. If not the best easily a Top 3 to Top 5 program for 20 years or so.

Despite UCLA's recent past, they accomplished an amazing feat under Wooden. It will likely never be surpassed. It would be like Alabama football winning the next 100 games and being national champs until beyond the year 2020.

The Pac has been a very strong conference over a long period of time in basketball. They've been down the past couple years, but there is no reason to think we won't be strong again.

If the BigXII and Pac-12 merged today, the top overall programs would be 1.UCLA, 2.Kansas, 3.Arizona and everyone else a distant 4th or worse...

At a minimum, a NC needs to be completed by any team trying to vie with UCLA or Arizona in the Pac to be considered conference heavy weights. Otherwise a consistent Top 3 or 4 finish is pretty dang solid. UW is closing the gap but still light years away. CU has Boyle and is on a serious uptick, and they're also still light-years away...

Right now, UCLA and Arizona are national programs. Nobody else in the Pac is...

Why the **** care? We will be lead by 6 freshmen, 2 sophs, and a junior.

Luckily, while posting that, I caught spellcheck trying to turn "sophs" into "slobs."

Last edited:

Yup. Textbook example over the last decade: Wisconsin.

yes, but early on Spencer AND ski showed signs of vocal leadership before the seniors stepped into the role. Between the mayor's excellent twitter fight with Burks and the ice he obviously has in his veins (he was like, BAD ASS in the pac 12 championship game), I have no doubt that these guys have the confidence to speak their minds and lead this team.

Plus, even if Dre isn't a vocal leader, his support will go a long way towards solidifying their leadership.

twitter fight with burks? when did that happen? gotta link?

nevermind i found a post about it on rumblinbuff. what's alec doing startin **** with a frosh haha glad mayor stood up for himself

It's at home, so I think we should. But it won't be easy. CSU's going to be good this year. We're largely unproven.

I hope they schedule this game on a weekend, or at least Friday night. Could get a good crowd if they did. It's usually the only game in the non-conference that the casual fan might care about, but not mid-week at 7pm.

Back