What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stoops at ND?

azbuff

Club Member
Club Member
http://thebiglead.com/?p=29532#more-29532

After the Shanahan fiasco, we know to take these things with far less than a grain of salt. (Short version of link: Stoops will be named HC at ND on Monday). Having said that, I'm not complaining if pouty b**** Stoops is not at Oklahoma anymore.

It's absolutely been cooking down this way for about two weeks.

It might not happen, but there's a feeling that Stoops might be in a "change of scenery" mood. He's done a great job at OU and doesn't really have anything else to accomplish there.

Not to mention that at ND if he wins 9 games in South Bend he's guaranteed a BCS spot. Much easier than the insanity in the Big 12 South.

Unless it is footballcoachscoop.com being the FIRST TO REPORT the BREAKING NEWS I would not believe it.

Interesting question for Stoops.

Positives about the move:
The OU fans are restless, they want NCs not Alamo Bowls. Stoops has won a lot but he has also lost some notable games like four times to Texas, the Bowl to Boise, etc. If he goes to ND the honeymoon starts again.

The chance to be a winning ND coach. Weiss has not won a lot of games but he has recruited well. This is not a program that requires rebuilding from the ground up. It wasn't "Burned to the ground." If he can bring them to the promised land he is set for life. Look at Holtz, hasn't done squat since leaving ND and still one of the best known men in college FB.

Chance to make a god-awful amount of money. They may not open up the wallet like they did for Charlie (reported $18M buyout) but they do pay well and if he wins he could make a bunch of money.

The ND factor. ND has not really been relavant since Holtz but to a lot of coaches it is still a special name. There are a number of coaches who got into the profession with a dream of coaching on the same field as the ND legends.

Schedule. ND plays a couple of tough, high profile games every year but their schedule sets up for them with a couple of should be patsies between every major game. Trouble is you better beat the patsies if you want to keep your job.

Down Side:

ND is not what it was. Todays players don't look at it with the awe that they once did. The best recruits now often go elsewhere.

Good talent on the team but the best players are probably gone, Claussen, Tate, etc. heading to the pros.

Unrealistic expectations. ND fans are worse than OU fans in thinking that they should win a MNC every year. Slip a little and you become hated very quickly.

Screwed up administration. At OU the message is win and don't get caught. At ND the message is we will act high and mighty and ignore some things but you better look clean all the time.

Mtn, doesn't Stoops already make a boatload of money at OU? The other question I have about Stoops going there is would he be allowed to get alot of the players he wanted admitted to ND?

Mtn, doesn't Stoops already make a boatload of money at OU? The other question I have about Stoops going there is would he be allowed to get alot of the players he wanted admitted to ND?

OU pays him very well. Probably one of the top 10-15 in the country. ND has a history of paying even more. CW got a 10 year deal that put him in the top 2-3. There are also a lot of endorsment deals that go with the ND job. The crazy thing, and the $18M that they owe Charlie might cause them to rethink this is that they tend to give a five year deal and then if things are going well renegotiate it to a longer deal.

As far as getting players in that is a part of the administration deal I mentioned. ND tries very hard to maintain the appearance of high admission standards for athletes, OU tries to get a recruit eligible and they are in. At the same time the history is that despite what they say ND manages to get in just about everyone they want to get in and they keep them eligible to play.

ND thinks that if they call, prominent coaches are going to fall all over themselves to go there. This has not been the case and the past couple of hires have not been ND's first choice or even second or third. If I were a coach at this level I would objectively have some real concerns about going there despite the history and the money. I think it is going to be hard to win enough there to keep the fans happy. They are kind of like kNU fans who despite over a decade of reality think that they are still an (the) elite program that everyone else aspires to be.

They are kind of like kNU fans who despite over a decade of reality think that they are still an (the) elite program that everyone else aspires to be.

And OU really is an elite program. Plus South Bend is a **** hole (far worse than Norman IMO).

After 11 years at Oklahoma, I wouldn't be surprised if Stoops was looking for a new challenge. And Notre Dame is the kind of place where a coach becomes an all-time legend for winning a National Championship.

ND will always be able to put more money on the table than OU or UF ever could. Stoops and Meyer are both Ohio natives.

ND needs a big name this time that also has an established history of success. The last two few gambles have all gone badly. I wouldn't be surprised at all for them to take another run at those two. If I were Stoops I'd publicly say I would listen just to make the fans pee their pants. :lol:

ND will always be able to put more money on the table than OU or UF ever could. Stoops and Meyer are both Ohio natives.

ND needs a big name this time that also has an established history of success. The last two few gambles have all gone badly. I wouldn't be surprised at all for them to take another run at those two. If I were Stoops I'd publicly say I would listen just to make the fans pee their pants. :lol:

I don't think they do. I think this belief has led them to where they are now.

I don't think they do. I think this belief has led them to where they are now.

Of the last 5 hires only 3 had previous head coaching experience. Only 1 had more head coaching experience than just 6 years on the job.

They've taken big names for sure. But the quality of those big names is certainly called into question.

Of the last 5 hires only 3 had previous head coaching experience. Only 1 had more head coaching experience than just 6 years on the job.

They've taken big names for sure. But the quality of those big names is certainly called into question.

They need to do their homework and go after a rising assistant imo. They've gotten burnt by going after the big names the last two times. Do you think they'll make the same mistake three times in a row? Doubtful.

They need to do their homework and go after a rising assistant imo. They've gotten burnt by going after the big names the last two times. Do you think they'll make the same mistake three times in a row? Doubtful.

My point in that was the last ND hire that really worked out well for them had tons of HC experience when he arrived. None of the others had much if any. This guy is now annoying Buff fans on Saturday mornings.

Isn't it only 2? Their last 5 hires are Faust, Holtz, Davie, Williingham, and Weis, unless I'm missing one. Or are you counting Faust's experience as a HS coach?

Isn't it only 2? Their last 5 hires are Faust, Holtz, Davie, Williingham, and Weis, unless I'm missing one. Or are you counting Faust's experience as a HS coach?

Weis, Ty, O'Leary, Davey, Holtz.

I supposed its a bit disingenuous of me to have included O'Leary. :smile2: But only O'Leary, Ty and Holtz had other HC experience before coaching at ND. And Ty and OLeary only had about 6 years of prior experience apiece while Holtz had loads of expereince. Weis and Davey had no HC experience.

If you toss O'Leary out and use Faust then you can see the propensity for ND to do dumb things. Faust was a HS coach who crashed and burned at ND. But before him was Dan Devine and Ara Parseghian who, like Holtz, had other head coaching stops on there resume before arriving at ND.

My point in that was the last ND hire that really worked out well for them had tons of HC experience when he arrived. None of the others had much if any. This guy is now annoying Buff fans on Saturday mornings.
I see your point. I just think fans put too much stock in name coaches.

I see your point. I just think fans put too much stock in name coaches.

Particularly in this case. If anybody has the freedom to take a great, unknown X's and O's guy and make him into a star, it's the Domers....

Weis, Ty, O'Leary, Davey, Holtz.

I supposed its a bit disingenuous of me to have included O'Leary. :smile2: But only O'Leary, Ty and Holtz had other HC experience before coaching at ND. And Ty and OLeary only had about 6 years of prior experience apiece while Holtz had loads of expereince. Weis and Davey had no HC experience.

If you toss O'Leary out and use Faust then you can see the propensity for ND to do dumb things. Faust was a HS coach who crashed and burned at ND. But before him was Dan Devine and Ara Parseghian who, like Holtz, had other head coaching stops on there resume before arriving at ND.

OK, you definitely cheated. :lol:

I think ND is one of those jobs that requires someone who already has experience as a HC. Most jobs, even at the top schools, the coach is the focus of attention in his state or region but not nationally. The ND head coach is going to be the center of an immense amount of scrutiny nationwide. ND probably has more loyal, devoted fans who have never stepped foot on campus than any two other schools combined, they have their own network TV deal and when not at home virtually every game is picked up by the other networks. Their audience has resulted in them getting lots of attention from dedicated commentators in high profile positions, Holtz, Beano, Golic, etc. who are willing to talk about ND football as often as possible, good or bad.

OKC is a really nice city. Not pretty, but with Bricktown and The Ford Center, has turned into a really cool, clean city.

Maybe, but as my friend once said to my girlfriend at the time as she was trying to get me to move to Tulsa, Oklahoma with her and was bragging about how nice Tulsa and how improved OK city was..."It's still f***ing Oklahoma." :lol: Suffice to say I didn't move.

ND does not struggle getting top talent in there, fricken loaded! They have the talent right now to be a NC contender.

I'm leaning towards the I'll believe it when I see it type of response. I just don't think he'll leave OU anytime soon. He's a legend down there even though they've struggled this season.

I'm leaning towards the I'll believe it when I see it type of response. I just don't think he'll leave OU anytime soon. He's a legend down there even though they've struggled this season.

I think he is smart enough to figure out that he has as good or better chance at success staying at OU. That said he is also smart enough to know that he can use the interest from ND to solidify his position financially at OU. It is also easier to minimize a down season (by current OU standards) by looking like he is the choice of another big name school.

I think he is smart enough to figure out that he has as good or better chance at success staying at OU. That said he is also smart enough to know that he can use the interest from ND to solidify his position financially at OU. It is also easier to minimize a down season (by current OU standards) by looking like he is the choice of another big name school.

There is some incredible talent at ND. I'd suspect Stoops or another of his caliber would return 8 or 9 wins immediately.

Back