What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Story on Why Shae Kelley left CU during Lappe's first year

buffgal

Club Member
Club Member
http://bit.ly/WEvA23 I don't understand why she thinks she would have been more comfortable in Boulder and it's lack of diversity under KMM and it is not diverse enough to play for Lappe? This explanation makes no sense to me, Shae. I have lost respect for Coach Harrington.

Some excerpts:

"Like a guy" - that's the best way to describe the 6-foot-1 forward's game, said Patrick Harrington, who recruited Kelley when he was a coach at the University of Colorado. But unlike many men her height, she can dunk.

If Kelley were to try to leave for another Division I program, she would be ineligible to play until her junior year. That also meant being stuck for her freshman year in a program to which she felt no connection in a city that lacked the diversity she was accustomed to.

But Colorado would not release Kelley from her letter of intent.A spokesperson for the Buffaloes said the school's philosophy is to not release players when the staff changes and to "ask student-athletes to give that new coaching staff a chance" for one academic year. Neither its conference, the Pac-12, nor the NCAA mandate such a rule.
It seemed like entrapment, Berry said - a convenient rule that forced Kelley into a situation she didn't want to be in.
"That's just how it felt, and that's how it looked," he said. "This young girl's trying to move on with her life, and you're holding her back?"

Harrington, who had landed a job at a junior college, Northwest Florida State, just after leaving Colorado, called Lewis Kelley. If Shae transferred there, her eligibility wouldn't be affected.On the day of the Buffaloes' season opener, Kelley left the program.
"She had no other options," Harrington said. "I think they wanted to help their new coach put as many bullets in the gun as possible. Unfortunately, it came at the expense of a young woman named Shae Kelley."

KMM and her staff were poison. So glad we've turned the page.

Oddly, the entire article about a team's new player is a trash piece about CU, not much to it besides that. I personally think that players, especially recruits, should be granted releases when a new coach is hired. I have the feeling there is something missing from this story though...

Agree with the feeling that something is missing. There are always two sides to a story and this is only one side.

Also agree with Buffgal that I have lost respect for Harrington. An assistant coach rarely keeps his position at a school when the head coach is dismissed. And he landed quite quickly as a head coach at a junior college in Florida. A classy and smart coach does not trash his former employer...you never know when you could use those now-burnt bridges.

I agree KMM was poison and now believe her staff was also. This was a piece that totally trashed CU and Lappe, without mentioning Lappe's name. I don't get why Harrington let himself be quoted. Let the kids parents trash CU if they so desire, but he is being unprofessional.

I also think CU should have granted her a release. Especially after all CU went through with Tulsa not granting Bianca Smith a release when KMM arrived at CU. CU fought for that release and finally got it. Seems very two faced on the part of CU.

Shae Kelley played in the exhibition game as I recall and was the high scorer. I can see why CU wanted her, but you don't want an unhappy player on your team. That can poison the entire team.

It's obvious Kelley wasn't buying in to Lappe's system, while the other players did. So glad the Wilson teams stayed, along with Chucky and MPP.

My thought would be that the Pac 12 is a more highly ranked conference than the Colonial. The schools are more like mid-level DI schools Cal walloped them in Norfolk 63-47 and Texas A & M beat them in a tournament 78-55. ODU is 5-3 in the conference and was soundly beaten by Delaware and Elena Del Donne. Kelley had a double double, but the team lost by double digits.

Guess who is an assistant coach at ODU? Tom McConnell, KMM's brother. No wonder that is where Kelley ended up. McConnell was smart enough not to comment for this article.

I like the immediate no transfer rule. I think it protects the student athletes from making a rash decision right out of the gate that ends up hurting them. I don't want to say it was a bad decision by Shae Kelley to transfer. I'm glad she's happy, but it appears that CU is thriving under Lappe. Perhaps she should've given the new staff a chance.

I also agree that the diversity issue seems like a red herring. This was all about the coaching change and the fact that she ended up playing for KMM's brother Tom at ODU speaks volumes about what truly went on.

Not granting her a release after firing the coach is a lame rule the athletic department uses. Let her move on and find a better fit.

I'm never been a fan of keeping players that don't want to be there. I think if coaches decide to leave a program, players should be afforded that same choice. In some cases, having a no transfer rule can be beneficial to the team's future... but one full calendar year seems a bit much. Players sign on to be with a coach and their staff, often as much as the actual university

I like the immediate no transfer rule. I think it protects the student athletes from making a rash decision right out of the gate that ends up hurting them. I don't want to say it was a bad decision by Shae Kelley to transfer. I'm glad she's happy, but it appears that CU is thriving under Lappe. Perhaps she should've given the new staff a chance.

I also agree that the diversity issue seems like a red herring. This was all about the coaching change and the fact that she ended up playing for KMM's brother Tom at ODU speaks volumes about what truly went on.

I wonder what she thinks now that CU is ranked and is thriving under Lappe. Might have been better with her.

However, this absolutely was not about diversity. It was about the coaching change. Funny on ODU's announcement about hiring Tom McConnell, two of his recommendations are from his sisters: KMM and Suzie McConnell Serio.

I would guess some kids have transferred immediately and regretted it from various schools with a coaching change. Alyssa Fressle did not improve her situation by transferring to Boston College.

Back