What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Stoutness of Nose Tackles

You want to discuss Stouts with Browns? I prefer Pale Ales.

As for the article content, he displays "great" NT play in a situation in which the defensive line gives up 6 yards off tackle? And another, where the running back is about to break loose for a large gain after the entire defensive line is sealed off to the weak side, but the gif ends. Weird analysis. Can't say much more.

You want to discuss Stouts with Browns? I prefer Pale Ales.

As for the article content, he displays "great" NT play in a situation in which the defensive line gives up 6 yards off tackle? And another, where the running back is about to break loose for a large gain after the entire defensive line is sealed off to the weak side, but the gif ends. Weird analysis. Can't say much more.

You have to read the whole article. He starts off analyzing what happens when an NT has a low stoutness rating (they get pushed back, can't handle the double team, have a more skilled center 'pull the chair out,' etc...). Those are the videos you looked at.

When he gets to good NT play all you see is a big pile in the middle and the running back has to go around...and the OLBs have clean angles to the QB.

It is a long 'football-nerd' article, but he has really good insights into how different body types can be effective. e.g. tall is not necessarily bad if you have excellent hip mobility. I like the analogy that being a good NT is a similar skill set to boxing-out in basketball...except from the front.

NT is so important for us. I would say Topou had a stoutness rating of 8 at the college level. Our stoutness rating without him in 2015 was absolutely terrible...maybe a 6...and that is why our D took such a big step in 16. I would hope that Javier has a stoutness of 8, but as the article points out, there is so much to learn. To those who felt Sami was too tall for NT...it will be interesting to see how flexible he is and how well he can learn the leverage game.

I agree NT is vital especially in the 3-4 defense. Probably, our most critical recruiting need to have several ready to play. Last season was a nice surprise, but I'm not convinced we can replace those 3 guys, and NT is the most important.

I agree with the general gist of the article.

The NT is very important with a three/five man DL. The idea of the NT is to tie up two OL since they wouldn't be getting to the LBs to make the plays. When I was doing my job in HS ball, my team had a strong rush D. Tupou did a very good job at NT last season.

Back