What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Strength & Conditioning Coach

[video=youtube;1ydBkk2Nv4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydBkk2Nv4c[/video]

This guy is fat...but he holds the world record deadlift at 442.5 kgs or 974 lbs...he'd turn these pussy's into men...if only he spoke english.

How much "coaching" is a S&C coach allowed to do during the off season? I mean, can they coach playbook stuff? Blocking/tackling technique? Or can they only coach the conditioning stuff? I ask because, if they can actually coach playbook stuff, it seems like it'd be good to get S&C guy who is also a football guy. Wouldn't it?

Yes it would i believe the rules are something to the extent that they can only be in the weight room with them but don't quote me on that.

What you and your frat buddies?

Edit: If it actually worked, it would still be given to athletes by their strength coaches which it is not.
Frat buddies? No. I'm not in a frat and it's with the people who I played football with. I've seen results so how are you saying it doesn't work? Huh? I'm done arguing with you because it's worked for me, and that's all that matters.

Frat buddies? No. I'm not in a frat and it's with the people who I played football with. I've seen results so how are you saying it doesn't work? Huh? I'm done arguing with you because it's worked for me, and that's all that matters.

Ok... you saw it work with your fb buddies...I'm assuming you guys were hs/college aged...absolute prime training age. You guys could have been drinking dish washer soap instead of creatine and it would have had the same effect. Thats like saying I got laid last night cause I'm such a hunk, when actually she was naked passed out on my bed.

Not really. I worked out for a year without it and didn't see all that much gain but with creatine I got bigger and my lifts went up a good amount, all the while keeping the same diet and drinking the same protein.

tg,

I'm glad that you benefited from a placebo effect.

Look at the data available on creatine. The only real benefit it may have is that it may cause your body to retain water... which will make you look bigger. Other than that, instructions might tell you that before your workout you should take it with juice or maybe they even make creatine sports drinks these days (I don't know). That's so that the simple sugars give you an energy rush before you exercise.

There's no placebo effect when my lifts are going up every time I go to the gym.

[Sigh]

A "placebo effect" means that it works. Usually about 20% of people will get actual, measurable benefit from something because they believe that they will. For these people, the benefit is equivalent to if they had taken something that actually worked (meaning, something that would work even if they didn't know they were taking it). This is why pharmaceutical companies do placebo controlled, double blind studies (and nutritional supplement companies don't).

If you're 18, motivated, and take something you believe is working (especially if all of that is reinforced by friends)... your gains should be sick. You've got levels of HGH and testosterone naturally pumping through your system that I'd get arrested for at my age.

[Sigh]

A "placebo effect" means that it works. Usually about 20% of people will get actual, measurable benefit from something because they believe that they will. For these people, the benefit is equivalent to if they had taken something that actually worked (meaning, something that would work even if they didn't know they were taking it). This is why pharmaceutical companies do placebo controlled, double blind studies (and nutritional supplement companies don't).

If you're 18, motivated, and take something you believe is working (especially if all of that is reinforced by friends)... your gains should be sick. You've got levels of HGH and testosterone naturally pumping through your system that I'd get arrested for at my age.

**** you're right. My bad. I just took a final on that to...

Does it work for everyone? Doubt it. Does it work for me? Yup.

I don't use creatine and my curls have increased from 12 oz to 16 oz
LOL

^^^ HAHA
[Sigh]

thank you

tg,

I'm glad that you benefited from a placebo effect.

Look at the data available on creatine. The only real benefit it may have is that it may cause your body to retain water... which will make you look bigger. Other than that, instructions might tell you that before your workout you should take it with juice or maybe they even make creatine sports drinks these days (I don't know). That's so that the simple sugars give you an energy rush before you exercise.

Its been a while since I was heavily involved in weight training, so I am not up on the supplements that are used today (unless they still use Weider Mega Mass). But, I thought some of the recent sports deaths have been linked to heavy creatine use and organ dehydration. I may be completely wrong, but that is how I remember something I may have read. Or, maybe I dreamed it.

Not looking to get into a debate about creatine here, but do many college athletes (specifically football players) use creatine? What about pro athletes?

Placebo effect is certainly something to take into consideration, but creatine has been shown to legitimately increase strength in the training athletes even in placebo controlled studies. However, other things to consider are possible side effects including adverse renal function and disproportionate muscle to tendon/ligament growth. The fact is that studies addressing are not numerous enough to draw definitive conclusions regarding creatine side effects. The supplement's benefits for the trained athlete are a little better defined, but still need more work. Although it is a naturally occurring substance, ingesting large amounts of it is not what the body is designed for, and as such, I would remain cautious of it. There is still no substitute for proper diet and proper training.

Not looking to get into a debate about creatine here, but do many college athletes (specifically football players) use creatine? What about pro athletes?

Placebo effect is certainly something to take into consideration, but creatine has been shown to legitimately increase strength in the training athletes even in placebo controlled studies. However, other things to consider are possible side effects including adverse renal function and disproportionate muscle to tendon/ligament growth. The fact is that studies addressing are not numerous enough to draw definitive conclusions regarding creatine side effects. The supplement's benefits for the trained athlete are a little better defined, but still need more work. Although it is a naturally occurring substance, ingesting large amounts of it is not what the body is designed for, and as such, I would remain cautious of it. There is still no substitute for proper diet and proper training.

First question no

It increases ATP, WHICH IS NOTHING A PROPER DIET WONT DO.

Most people are dehydrated... thats part of what creatine does retain water...so if you have a bad diet and are dehydrated, which you probably are, creatine is ok for you. If you have a proper diet, no need for it.
I guarantee you in all of the studies done the participants were on their own with their nutrition.

Back