What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Student tickets for KU game

From fb:

994067_10201014633313350_1059748619_n.jpg

I fully disagree with the AD's decision to require attendance at the CU/Iowa game tonight.

Yes, the women are a highly ranked team who play very hard to represent the university, and their games should be well attended. However, they should be insulted that the only way to get fans to their game v. a legit B1G opponent is to hold KU tickets ransom.

Why? Because the fans would be going for the wrong reason. Really, we need to leverage the men to support the women who are putting up a quality product of their own?

Professors load up the work load the week before Fall Break, so they can grade papers and exams over the break and release the students of larger obligations. This really is a busy time for our students, who may genuinely have time conflict with an 8:30 start on a Wednesday night. Our students on this board aren't acting entitled...they're students for Christ's sake.

Who suffers? The players. I was talking to one of the players on the phone earlier today. She said that people are saying nasty things online about rooting for the other team and just doing their homework doing the game. The students are angry at the team, who had nothing to do with this decision. The AD is forcing attendance, and when choice is taking away, the students will lash out.

My friend (the player) said she and her teammates are being insulted on campus by frustrated students.

Essentially this plan is having the opposite effect than intended. Yeah, I'm pissed at the students for treating their Buffs that way--the players just want to represent the university at a high level, and compete on the court. But I think the AD leadership could have easily envisioned these consequences if they thought about it at all.

If that is happening then the AD should sell the student tickets on StubHub.

I fully disagree with the AD's decision to require attendance at the CU/Iowa game tonight.

Yes, the women are a highly ranked team who play very hard to represent the university, and their games should be well attended. However, they should be insulted that the only way to get fans to their game v. a legit B1G opponent is to hold KU tickets ransom.

Why? Because the fans would be going for the wrong reason. Really, we need to leverage the men to support the women who are putting up a quality product of their own?

Professors load up the work load the week before Fall Break, so they can grade papers and exams over the break and release the students of larger obligations. This really is a busy time for our students, who may genuinely have time conflict with an 8:30 start on a Wednesday night. Our students on this board aren't acting entitled...they're students for Christ's sake.

Who suffers? The players. I was talking to one of the players on the phone earlier today. She said that people are saying nasty things online about rooting for the other team and just doing their homework doing the game. The students are angry at the team, who had nothing to do with this decision. The AD is forcing attendance, and when choice is taking away, the students will lash out.

My friend (the player) said she and her teammates are being insulted on campus by frustrated students.

Essentially this plan is having the opposite effect than intended. Yeah, I'm pissed at the students for treating their Buffs that way--the players just want to represent the university at a high level, and compete on the court. But I think the AD leadership could have easily envisioned these consequences if they thought about it at all.
I get both sides of this argument. It's not "ransom." It's what the market will bear. It's also probably what the AD thought was the fairest way to distribute the tickets. The alternative, could be a true first come, first serve. But when's the best time to distribute with regards to people's schedule? Honestly, this is nothing compared to what other schools do. No one is even saying you have to pay attention to the game. If you don't like women's basketball -- go sit in a corner, do your homework; talk with some friends and don't pay attention to the game itself.

Honestly I'm sick of all the academic excuses, I'm not saying they aren't valid but as Cville said, people are acting like this is an Ivy League all the sudden.

Bottomline is this to me, it's not a right to go to a basketball game. Don't think two hours of your life is worth it, take your chances when it's opened to the public. Or just don't go to the KU game since sitting through a women's game is a hardship. I'll bet if you presented this alternative to Duke students of having to go to a women's game versus camping out, they'd take the former. And in terms of the academic hardships involved here, camping out is way worse than being an climate controlled building where you can STUDY.

Now the part I do agree with you, if I'm a women's basketball player, do I want fans feeling "forced" to come. Not sure, it works both ways here. It is insulting but it be nice to be playing in front of more fans. Who knows, maybe if some come in with an open mind instead of the whole "it's women's basketball," they'll comeback for some non-mandatory games.

This probably did backfire more than the AD thought it would, but let's see what happens tomorrow. I saw someone suggest on Twitter they should do it for the game against Harvard this weekend, the problem with that is students are already on break. No matter what day/method you'd choose, people wouldn't be happy. Probably the fairest way to do it is to distribute by attendance at the games already played. But they would've had to announce that before the season.

At the end of the day, this is an EFFING basketball game, we're talking about. Not brain surgery.

What about the students who paid for the pass but couldn't make the Wed game and lose in the lottery? Tough luck?

They will realize just how helpful the AD was trying to be when they have to camp outside for a ****ing week in the teens to get tickets for Zona. Whiny bitches. It is 2 hours. Get the **** over it.
Here's an idea: they should distribute tickets for the UofA game by going to the worst women's game of the season. Now there's an alternative, you have to campout for 72 hours, register a tent, someone from your party has to remain in the tent at all times. Let's see how many people choose option 2. If all the tickets go in the former, the latter doesn't happen.

I can't believe the attitude that offering students an opportunity to go to Coors for a couple hours for a WBB game to gain a MBb ticket advantage is being a big meanie.

What about the students who paid for the pass but couldn't make the Wed game and missed out on the lottery? Tough luck?
That's my biggest issue here, I think as I think Buffnik said, if they can document they've been to every game this year (with a note from a professor or TA), they should be exempt. Non academic excuses don't work here.

What about the students who paid for the pass but couldn't make the Wed game and lose in the lottery? Tough luck?

What about the students who paid for the pass and couldn't make the [insert whatever pick-up mechanism you like] and lose in the lottery?

or

What about the students who paid for the pass and lose in the lottery, which is the sole mechanism by which the AD chooses to distribute the tickets?

Yeah, tough luck.

Everyone looks stupid. Why didn't the school announce a priority point policy based on attendance at mbb and wbb games like the cunit traveling squad. Duh.

Here's my quick thought (sophomore at CU). I think that it is fair to have students go to the women's game to get a ticket to the Kansas game. For this short term bull**** that my peers are complaining about is dumb. We got an email November 10th. That's ten days ago. I'm not sure about you guys but as a college kid ten days is plenty of time to plan out how you study, do homework, etc. If there was an exam that day, it was already scheduled and there is nothing you could do even if the email was sent out three months ago.

If I were in the AD this is what I would have done. I would have set aside three or so games that you could to go to to possibly get a KU ticket. For example, you can go to the women's game tonight, the Thursday men's game or the Harvard game Sunday. The first tickets would be distributed at the first game and so on. This allows students to have a "second chance" if they had a conflict for the women's game. If this seemed unattainable there are other options. They could distribute tickets like they did against U of A and ASU last year where you have to go to the ticket office and a first come first serve basis. I do not like that if you are unable to go to the one game due to a test or something you cannot miss, you are put in a lottery. This means that a student who has shown up to every football and basketball game has the same shot as students who bought the pass, but doesn't attend many events. It should be done off of priority points or some type of point system.

Finally, our students are ****ing awful. The Cal football game was embarrassing. There was no excuse for the students to leave early. Yes it was cold, but look at your damn Iphone and look at the weather. If you come unprepared you leave, get a re-entry pass and get warmer clothes. We were beating a Pac-12 team. The excuse that we were getting crushed was out the window. The student attendance for basketball games is disturbing to me. Last year, the place was rocking. The year before that I went to games with my parents and could not wait to be in the crazy atmosphere of the student section. This year, my high school basketball games had more excited students. It is time for us to step up and take an effort to go to games. The desire is not there and it is something I will never understand. Get the **** out of your house apartment dorm or whatever and cheer on our team. We have a bunch of spoiled California kids who think all of our team sucks and would rather stay at home. It disgusts me.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no sympathy for any students who are complaining who haven't gone to a game yet this year.

I'm with you on that.

Back to Orr's point, the way to have done this would have been to plan ahead.

Make it so that points earned through attendance at all of the previous MBB games (UT Martin, Wyoming, Jackson State, Arkansas State, etc.) would be cumulative for where you'd be on the list to get KU and conference game tix. Give bonus points for attendance at select women's games.

But tell the students this at the beginning of the semester and remind them of the system.

However, they didn't do that. So it came down to a decision of the best way to determine who gets into the KU game:

1) Online lottery only
2) First come, first serve - so camp out in the cold if you want tix
3) Give priority to our student basketball fans who show up to support our ranked WBB team for their biggest OOC home game

How was choosing #3, given the circumstance of failing to get ahead of this on November 1st, such a bad thing?

It was brought up before, but a similar strategy was used last year to increase support for VB one night and it resulted in a lively crowd that helped propel the Buffs to an unlikely upset. People had a good time.

Here's my quick thought (sophomore at CU). I think that it is fair to have students go to the women's game to get a ticket to the Kansas game. For this short term bull**** that my peers are complaining about is dumb. We got an email November 10th. That's ten days ago. I'm not sure about you guys but as a college kid ten days is plenty of time to plan out how you study, do homework, etc. If there was an exam that day, it was already scheduled and there is nothing you could do even if the email was sent out three months ago. If I were in the AD this is what I would have done. I would have set aside three or so games that you could to go to to possibly get a KU ticket. For example, you can go to the women's game tonight, the Thursday men's game or the Harvard game Sunday. The first tickets would be distributed at the first game and so on. This allows students to have a "second chance" if they had a conflict for the women's game. If this seemed unattainable there are other options. They could distribute tickets like they did against U of A and ASU last year where you have to go to the ticket office and a first come first serve basis. I do not like that if you are unable to go to the one game due to a test or something you cannot miss, you are put in a lottery. This means that a student who has shown up to every football and basketball game has the same shot as students who bought the pass, but doesn't attend many events. It should be done off of priority points or some type of point system. Finally, our students are ****ing awful. The Cal football game was embarrassing. There was no excuse for the students to leave early. Yes it was cold, but look at your damn Iphone and look at the weather. If you come unprepared you leave, get a re-entry pass and get warmer clothes. We were beating a Pac-12 team. The excuse that we were getting crushed was out the window. The student attendance for basketball games is disturbing to me. Last year, the place was rocking. The year before that I went to games with my parents and could not wait to be in the crazy atmosphere of the student section. This year, my high school basketball games had more excited students. It is time for us to step up and take an effort to go to games. The desire is not there and it is something I will never understand. Get the **** out of your house apartment dorm or whatever and cheer on our team. We have a bunch of spoiled California kids who think all of our team sucks and would rather stay at home. It disgusts me.
If the students are complaining it's too cold then they didn't drink enough. Take more shots, pussies

Old fans itt telling students not to bitch: 15
Same fans going to Iowa wbb game tonight. Likely 0.
Same fans required essentially required to attend game for KU tix. 0

Probably. But the men's team shouldn't be responsible for the women's team draw. That's what it ultimately comes down to.
They don't have to but it's a market thing. If students feel that this won't sell tonight, they'll take their chances.

Back