What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sucks to lose... but I'm encouraged

The fumble changed everything. We had shocked them. They were reeling and it gave the back their wind before they went to the locker room. If we had made another drive, even scored, and ASU had gone to half time down... things could have been very different. Can't make those kinds of mistakes against an offense like that.

The fumble changed everything. We had shocked them. They were reeling and it gave the back their wind before they went to the locker room. If we had made another drive, even scored, and ASU had gone to half time down... things could have been very different. Can't make those kinds of mistakes against an offense like that.

I agree. Of all the plays in the game that hurt, that one hurt the most. Still, we had our chances late in the game despite that gaffe. We could have recovered.

I agree. Of all the plays in the game that hurt, that one hurt the most. Still, we had our chances late in the game despite that gaffe. We could have recovered.

The 4th should have been ours. With Kelly out, we could have. Their D also made some adjustments though. Needed to keep them reeling and the turnovers let them regain their composure.

Anyway, it is refreshing to be bitching about how close we were to beating #16 ASU.

Sadly, I believe that was the best game the Buffs have played in over 3 seasons. I too am anxious to see if they can carry some momentum into the Hawaii and cal games.

If the crowd would have stayed and started chanting "I believe we will win" I think we would have won.

We are turning the corner.

I hesitate to say this, because it sounds very Hawk-ish, but there were four plays that turned the game, IMO. The fumble on the 10 yard line, the interception late in the game, the failed 4th down conversion, and the inability to stop ASU on 3rd and 10 at about the 40 yard line in the 2nd half. You can't make mistakes like that against a top 20 team and expect to win. Given that, it was a great effort.

No Hawk. Hawk would say "10 plays" but it was always ambiguous which 10 plays they were. Yours were quite clear.

I hesitate to say this, because it sounds very Hawk-ish, but there were four plays that turned the game, IMO. The fumble on the 10 yard line, the interception late in the game, the failed 4th down conversion, and the inability to stop ASU on 3rd and 10 at about the 40 yard line in the 2nd half. You can't make mistakes like that against a top 20 team and expect to win. Given that, it was a great effort.
Remember when we were "14 plays away from an undefeated season?" Or whatever he said...

But, yeah I saw a team with a chance to win against a ranked opponent. Not a "lucky chance," but a legitimate chance that was earned with on field performance.

Simply put, the Buffs weren't "lucky" to even be in it at the end, and that is progress. If they continue to play this way, they're going to win a couple conference games this year.

I agree, but I'd also say that plunge up the middle in I formation on 4th and goal was a bad decision, as well.
We were in the game, a few different bounces and we knock them off.

My observations after watching the post game interviews: In general...

1. The team seems to be finally getting the technical coaching that they have needed. With past regimes I think they were told when they got burned "you gotta play with more heart" and now they are getting specifics on what they need to look for, what specifically they are doing wrong, what techniques they need to use to prevent it from happening again. Because they know how to fix these problems they are seeing success (baby step success) and growing confidence.

2. This team is hungry. They believe they are better and want to show people they are not the same team they were the last 5-8 years. This hunger is removing distractions and hyper focusing their effort. They are dropping their differences and pulling together to go after a common cause and that is resulting in momentum. Their hunger is also making them angry and tougher which is letting them tap into some deeper core emotions that are making them play more stingy and ruthless.

I like where HCMM has them headed - more technically sound/knowledgeable, more unified and tightly knit and more angry and ruthless. If we can keep this flowing we have a shot in every game except maybe 1 or 2.

I am kinda sick of Lindgren's play calling at the goal line. Jesus...would it kill you to call a play action???

My observations after watching the post game interviews: In general...

1. The team seems to be finally getting the technical coaching that they have needed. With past regimes I think they were told when they got burned "you gotta play with more heart" and now they are getting specifics on what they need to look for, what specifically they are doing wrong, what techniques they need to use to prevent it from happening again. Because they know how to fix these problems they are seeing success (baby step success) and growing confidence.

2. This team is hungry. They believe they are better and want to show people they are not the same team they were the last 5-8 years. This hunger is removing distractions and hyper focusing their effort. They are dropping their differences and pulling together to go after a common cause and that is resulting in momentum. Their hunger is also making them angry and tougher which is letting them tap into some deeper core emotions that are making them play more stingy and ruthless.

I like where HCMM has them headed - more technically sound/knowledgeable, more unified and tightly knit and more angry and ruthless. If we can keep this flowing we have a shot in every game except maybe 1 or 2.

I hope so. Embree and Hawk teams played inspired ball from time to time. The Buffs were playing their first game at home this season in front of a relatively pumped up home crowd on blackout night. I need a little more. UH is a great opportunity to show their progress from the ASU game. If they play like they did Saturday night, they will likely win comfortably.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell when I was watching live, but saw someone post either here or on Rivals that Powell stumbled on the 3rd down play immediately ahead of the failed 4th down attempt. Basically, it was there for a 1st down if not a TD if not for a small mis-step.

I couldn't tell when I was watching live, but saw someone post either here or on Rivals that Powell stumbled on the 3rd down play immediately ahead of the failed 4th down attempt. Basically, it was there for a 1st down if not a TD if not for a small mis-step.

I just rewatched the game this morning. The OL had the initial surge necessary to get at least the first. If Powell doesn't stumble he at least gets the 1st.

Consistency is key. The biggest leap forward has been between week 2 and 3.

If the Buffs continue to show progress and growth on this trajectory over the next two games, look out!

It was nice not to get blown out, but sad to go 0-6 against the sundevils. That monkey can't get off the Buffs back quickly enough.

CU hasn't beaten a ranked opponent in 15 tries. A big signature win this season would do wonders.

I want to believe.

Consistency is key. The biggest leap forward has been between week 2 and 3.

If the Buffs continue to show progress and growth on this trajectory over the next two games, look out!

It was nice not to get blown out, but sad to go 0-6 against the sundevils. That monkey can't get off the Buffs back quickly enough.

CU hasn't beaten a ranked opponent in 15 tries. A big signature win this season would do wonders.

I want to believe.

If UW can find a way to sneak into the rankings, they may be our best shot at a home upset of a ranked team.

I haven't seen the whole game yet, just watched a part of it out of one eye while unpacking from taking the kids camping.

That in mind this game was significant.

ASU is a ranked team. I don't know if they will be at the end of the year but the are now and despite getting of the a slow start against them the Buffs didn't buckle under.. You could argue that it has been at least pre-Embree that the Buffs looked like they belonged on the field against a legitimately ranked team. In recent years the team went into take our beating mode and watched the score get out of hand.

You can talk about breaks one way or the other and playing out the end of the game but the final spread was 14, not the normal 28+ point blowouts we have gotten used to in this kind of games

We still have some gaping weaknesses. ASU took advantage of the LBs early in the game on crossing routes. We couldn't get an effective pass rush early from the DL. The lack of pass rush gave ASU time to develop the deep routes that they threw on Hendo who is a very good corner but deep man to man coverage isn't his strongest suite as a DB.

With all that Sefo continues to develop as a QB, we now have a solid recieving corps, even losing PRich. This was a better defense than CSU and our OL did a better job against them.

Most importantly this game could easily have been a turtle game where a team with a losing attitude could have ducked it's head and gotten run over. The fact that they refused to quit, refused to give up, didn't give in, even when mistakes reared their ugly heads shows that the team has a lot of character and that they still believe in each other and the staff and are working for better results.

Sefo talked (completely paraphrasing here) about how the Buffs handed ASU the game and Buffs should have won. Now the bad taste of losing to a top 25 program you should have beaten is their craw. Hope it stays there and they develop an attitude about it.

That's what I'm interested in seeing, they tasted a little success and went toe to toe with a ranked team, didn't back down. Let's see how they handle that.

That's what I'm interested in seeing, they tasted a little success and went toe to toe with a ranked team, didn't back down. Let's see how they handle that.
They all think they should've won. The texts I got after the game from some guys are on the team show they fully agree with Sefo. They aren't just saying this to the media, they truly believe it. Good sign my friends.

Very good sign. It's about time we go into games expecting to win and not hoping. Attitude that's been gone from here for quite some time.

I watched the whole game on Football in 60 on PAC12 Networks. Without getting into specifics, I saw a noticeably different team than I've seen for 3+ years. Guys were flying all over the place, making hits, making plays. For the first time in a long time, I walked away with the impression we were a legit PAC12 (hell, legit FBS) team. Who knows what the future holds, but for that game, they looked legit...to me anyway.

I watched the whole game on Football in 60 on PAC12 Networks. Without getting into specifics, I saw a noticeably different team than I've seen for 3+ years. Guys were flying all over the place, making hits, making plays. For the first time in a long time, I walked away with the impression we were a legit PAC12 (hell, legit FBS) team. Who knows what the future holds, but for that game, they looked legit...to me anyway.

They played hard. They fought. They competed.

I can cheer for a team that does that even if it's not a champion-caliber team.

I haven't felt like we've had that in a long while.

Back