What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Suggestions please

When you come to the game, your stuff must be in a clear plastic bag, btw. No purses, if you are into that sort of thing. NTTIAWWT.

What way are you planning on taking? As someone that has left from around the Fort Dodge area many times (mostly at night) I suggest not heading over to Sioux City and down I-29 as you lose about an hour due to it heading back east a little bit. Otherwise once you get on I80 hall ass and don't stop. Assuming you're going straight through I would suggest stopping in Ogallala for gas. For some reason once you get east of there the gas stations seem to be a little sketchy on the east end of Colorado. Finally I applaud you for driving across ***raska at night. I have made the trip back and forth close to a hundred times and there is no torture worse than driving through it during the day on a trip to colorful Colorado on your way to a Buffs game. Good luck!!

What way are you planning on taking? As someone that has left from around the Fort Dodge area many times (mostly at night) I suggest not heading over to Sioux City and down I-29 as you lose about an hour due to it heading back east a little bit. Otherwise once you get on I80 hall ass and don't stop. Assuming you're going straight through I would suggest stopping in Ogallala for gas. For some reason once you get east of there the gas stations seem to be a little sketchy on the east end of Colorado. Finally I applaud you for driving across ***raska at night. I have made the trip back and forth close to a hundred times and there is no torture worse than driving through it during the day on a trip to colorful Colorado on your way to a Buffs game. Good luck!!
The North Platte Walmart is not to be missed. When you face hard times in your life, you can always look back on that experience and realize things aren't so bad. Plus the prevailing style, which I like to call "Gothy-meth-husker" is entertaining, if not a little threatening.

Back to Boulder.

We can recommend some hikes if you want to get one in before the game. Just ask. If no hike, I still recommend that you drive up to the Sunrise Amphitheater at Flagstaff. The short drive will provide the sense of wonder and magic that Boulder tends to create. From the amphitheater you should be able to see your home in Iowa (provided it's sunny and clear, which it almost always is, but I offer no guarantees).

Driving across Nebraska at night is a must. Anytime I drive to Michigan or Iowa I leave the house no later than 11 PM so I don't have sunrise until right around Lincoln.

Driving across Nebraska at night is a must. Anytime I drive to Michigan or Iowa I leave the house no later than 11 PM so I don't have sunrise until right around Lincoln.

You haven't lived until you've seen the early morning sun rays cutting like bejeweled crimson daggers through the methane emissions near Grand Island.

I actually don't mind driving between Lincoln and Omaha, although it's nicer heading east, when you know you've left the **** behind you.

Yeah, once you get west of Lincoln. Oh, man. Granted, I, like many others fall in the 35ish yr old and many of the trips took place before the cell phones were what they are today.

Although, I have heard about a road east of Omaha, too. I hear its long and lonesome.

Despite what the haters might say, there's are actually quite a few nice, new places to stay in SW Longmont that are a very short drive to Boulder.
Driving in from the north for a game is a breeze. I have alway thought that if I lived in the Denver area I would drive north on I25 to HWY 52, west to the diagonal, then Iris to broadway, south on Broadway to Arapaho and park at Boulder High. Never takes me more than 30 min from Longmont to Boulder High parking lot.

Thanks all. If the visit is as entertaining as this thread it will be well worth the trip.

A question. While I know why most Iowans hate the huskers what caused the riff between Colorado and Nebraska.

Thanks all. If the visit is as entertaining as this thread it will be well worth the trip.

A question. While I know why most Iowans hate the huskers what caused the riff between Colorado and Nebraska.
Is that a serious question?

You are aware that CU and NU were part of the same conference for about sixty years, right?

I actually don't mind driving between Lincoln and Omaha, although it's nicer heading east, when you know you've left the **** behind you.

Yeah the area between Lincoln and Omaha is ok with the hills and trees. Then you get into Omaha where I think the same 4 miles of I-80 have been under construction since 2003.

I know the conference history but I know Big 10 fans don't hate Purdue, Illinois or Indiana in football with the same kind of passion they hate OSU, Michigan or Nebraska.

Wondered if there were specifics other than conference affiliation.

I am over the half century mark and loved watching Colorado when Coach McCartney and know there were issues then with Nebby

Coach Mac (the first) fanned the rivalry flames when he picked them as the team to beat.

For me personally, it was because I would go to games with my Dad who has had season tickets since the '60s. Whenever NU came to town, half (or more) of the stadium showed up in Red. The cult like following of their fans - some of whom actually had season CU tickets so they could make it to that game - is frightening. The others took tickets from CU fans willing to sell that game for enough to pay off the entire season ticket bill. It wasn't until the late 80s and 90s when we could beat them regularly that this phenomenon stopped. There is no team that CU has greater hatred for than the nubs.

We're cool with most of the other big 8 teams. We also hate the former Texass big 12 teams almost as much as Nebraska. I've never had more than mild animosity toward KSU, KU, OU, or MU. Iowa State was mostly to be pitied, except for one game that ended with a re kick of a field goal.

Hotel reservations are going to be real rough in Boulder that weekend (homecoming and sororities Dad's Days). Look at airbnb for some deals in private homes (I did that last weekend). If you want to stay in a hotel, try the La Quinta Inn about a 10 minute drive down the 36 in Louisville. I've stayed there several times. Quiet, clean, comfortable, and affordable, with a freeeee breakfast in the morning.

For the game, just bust out the Gold Card and pay the $25 to park in the large structure across from the Business School Field on Regent Drive (best view on campus). EZ walk to the stadium. Go early, get into the stadium area, and enjoy life at the new Fan Experience thing inside the brand new indoor practice facility (free to get in once you get inside the ticketed area). I went to the first one last Saturday, and had the honor of purchasing the first beer sold at this new tradition. They also sell food and other libations; lend footballs to run around with and kick field goals on the turf; have giant TV screens showing other college games, and acres of tables and fun things to do. Make sure you get into the stadium itself in time to see Ralphie run right before kickoff.

I know the conference history but I know Big 10 fans don't hate Purdue, Illinois or Indiana in football with the same kind of passion they hate OSU, Michigan or Nebraska.

I am over the half century mark and loved watching Colorado when Coach McCartney and know there were issues then with Nebby

The "Sal is Dead, go Big Red" chant took it to a level that is forever unforgivable.

Coach Mac (the first) fanned the rivalry flames when he picked them as the team to beat.

For me personally, it was because I would go to games with my Dad who has had season tickets since the '60s. Whenever NU came to town, half (or more) of the stadium showed up in Red. The cult like following of their fans - some of whom actually had season CU tickets so they could make it to that game - is frightening. The others took tickets from CU fans willing to sell that game for enough to pay off the entire season ticket bill. It wasn't until the late 80s and 90s when we could beat them regularly that this phenomenon stopped. There is no team that CU has greater hatred for than the nubs.

We're cool with most of the other big 8 teams. We also hate the former Texass big 12 teams almost as much as Nebraska. I've never had more than mild animosity toward KSU, KU, OU, or MU. Iowa State was mostly to be pitied, except for one game that ended with a re kick of a field goal.

Plus Nebraskans are smug assholes.

And that time Dr. Tom voted for Georgia Tech....

The North Platte Walmart is not to be missed. When you face hard times in your life, you can always look back on that experience and realize things aren't so bad. Plus the prevailing style, which I like to call "Gothy-meth-husker" is entertaining, if not a little threatening.

as a follow-up...Wall Drug is way over-rated.

That just made me hate Clete, not ISU.

Because, at least for me, between 1991 and 2001 it went like this;

• We had 1 tie (91) to start the decade.
  • Tom Osborne is a cheater.
  • Our only blemish in 1994 was a loss to NU.
  • We had 5 meetings (96, 97, 98, 99, 00) decided by 5 points or less. Most of those came down to the last 2 minutes in heart ripping out fashion.
  • Girl Friend beaters were encouraged NU
  • Tom Osborne is a cheater.
  • We won 1 game to book end that decade (01), winning 62-36.
  • After that epic beat down, they were picked over us by .0x points to play in the mNC Rose Bowl game v Miami.

The only good thing out of that era was the 62-36 loss precipitated the end of NUs run of football dominance. From which they have yet to recover.

Nebraska under Osborne was the equivalent of Woody Hayes and his winning machine. It just never seemed fair. Hence the hate.

Last edited:
Iowa State was mostly to be pitied, except for one game that ended with a re kick of a field goal.

One of the strangest endings I have ever witnessed. Sucked being there in person having those fans rub it in while still trying to compute just what the F just happened.

Back