What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Superman to TE?

Just proves in my mind that this current staff cannot develop players. I can't think of one offensive player that is significantly better today than when he walked on campus his freshmen year.

Just proves in my mind that this current staff cannot develop players. I can't think of one offensive player that is significantly better today than when he walked on campus his freshmen year.

The list is short, but I can think of two right off the bat: Scotty McKnight and Nate Solder.

Don't like this move one bit. Short term solution at TE that is going to bite us in a couple of years.

Too bad - I was hoping to see what this type of athlete could do for us under center.

Too bad - I was hoping to see what this type of athlete could do for us under center.

I think it's a timing thing for the coaches, which is an incredibly stupid move seeing as they probably won't be coaching here in 2011. I think they're looking at the roster and see Hansen and Cody with Lobato and Hirschman backing them up. That's four guys, with the ability to redshirt Hirschman. Just a hunch, but I believe they saw the distinct possibility that Evans wouldn't ever play QB, and decided to move him to a spot where he might see some playing time. Redshirt Hirschman this year so he's a RS Sophmore with two full years in the program before taking over as starter in 2012 (which, coincidentally, would be our first year in the 12-Pac).

I think it's a timing thing for the coaches, which is an incredibly stupid move seeing as they probably won't be coaching here in 2011. I think they're looking at the roster and see Hansen and Cody with Lobato and Hirschman backing them up. That's four guys, with the ability to redshirt Hirschman. Just a hunch, but I believe they saw the distinct possibility that Evans wouldn't ever play QB, and decided to move him to a spot where he might see some playing time. Redshirt Hirschman this year so he's a RS Sophmore with two full years in the program before taking over as starter in 2012 (which, coincidentally, would be our first year in the 12-Pac).

I'm not saying it was the WRONG choice - I guess I meant that I just had high hopes for Evans. Would have been fun to watch as a QB if he could have gotten his throwing motion figured out.

I kind of wonder if these younger guys look at the way the QB situation has been handled and just say "hey, I'd rather play than sit on the bench for 4-5 years. Find me a spot where I can contribute."

I kind of wonder if these younger guys look at the way the QB situation has been handled and just say "hey, I'd rather play than sit on the bench for 4-5 years. Find me a spot where I can contribute."

That's what I was thinking, too. Especially for an athletic kid like Evans.

First off, I don't know what to make of the Clark Evans move. Is it partly that they don't have faith in him to "clean up his act" and don't want a QB with those issues? Is it Kai Maiava type situation? Will he be happy and content and work hard at TE?

While it is easy to say we don't have depth at TE yet, due to academic issues with the freshmen class, and this helps us shore that up, the QB depth isn't exactly rock solid academically.

I really, really, really like Nick Hirschman and avoiding any QB controversies once Hansen is graduated is fine with me, but we are getting real thin at the QB spot in regards to scholarship athletes. Maybe Evans never would have made a good QB, who knows, but this puts a lot of pressure on Lobata/Hirschman to be in a position to take over the team in case of injury. (maybe that pressure was already there)

I am sure that we will recruit more QB's in the 2011 class (we damn sure better get another good one). We should always have a kid coming in each year that can develop into the starter. IMO, we need to be grooming kids to take over as juniors, not as true sophomores and red-shirt freshmen, or even true freshmen. That requires "spacing", but I guess Hawk doesn't believe in that or we wouldn't be in the situation to begin with.

One of these guys breaking out and playing great will make the QB depth look like no problem!

That requires "spacing", but I guess Hawk doesn't believe in that or we wouldn't be in the situation to begin with.
I don't think the coaches knew Ballenger would leave, that Evans would not be a superstar and consider a change of positions, etc. They also had Jordan Wynn, who changed his mind about us, but Hawkins appeared to be trying to have a nicely spaced stable of QBs - regardless of who was on the field.

First off, I don't know what to make of the Clark Evans move. Is it partly that they don't have faith in him to "clean up his act" and don't want a QB with those issues? Is it Kai Maiava type situation? Will he be happy and content and work hard at TE?

While it is easy to say we don't have depth at TE yet, due to academic issues with the freshmen class, and this helps us shore that up, the QB depth isn't exactly rock solid academically.

I really, really, really like Nick Hirschman and avoiding any QB controversies once Hansen is graduated is fine with me, but we are getting real thin at the QB spot in regards to scholarship athletes. Maybe Evans never would have made a good QB, who knows, but this puts a lot of pressure on Lobata/Hirschman to be in a position to take over the team in case of injury. (maybe that pressure was already there)

I am sure that we will recruit more QB's in the 2011 class (we damn sure better get another good one). We should always have a kid coming in each year that can develop into the starter. IMO, we need to be grooming kids to take over as juniors, not as true sophomores and red-shirt freshmen, or even true freshmen. That requires "spacing", but I guess Hawk doesn't believe in that or we wouldn't be in the situation to begin with.

One of these guys breaking out and playing great will make the QB depth look like no problem!

IMO, DH was so sure the QB question was answered by CH, that he did not really care to much about the problem until after the '08 season. I don't know the story with Cox, White or BJax, but it looked obvious that CH was going to be the man until it flatly got so bad DH HAD to do something else. Ballenger, well, who knows what went on there, but he sure looked like a decent ath/QB and threw a nice deep ball v. UT...then poof he's gone too and TH is thrown to the wolves as a true frosh. I thought he handled it well and then he got the hook at ISU. CH goes back under center again and plays OK v. NU, then looks terrible the first five games of '09. TH gets his RS jerked again to save the day. He plays decently, but then, inexplicably, gets pulled at KjSU. You know the rest.

DH has mishandled the QB spot from day one. In a sense, I don't blame him. It is his kid and CH knows the game of FB inside out. DH pinned his future to his son's ability. Understandable, but a huge mistake. When DC's got some film on CH and saw his limitations physically, then it was open season and the Buffs were VERY easy to defend.

Last edited:
The best move for Evans is to move to TE. With this staffs ability to develop a qb he is making the right move.

I think Evans would have been the man if we went to a Tebow like offense. Now that we are going to the pistol offense the future is Hirshman.

By the way moving from the Pistol to Mike Leech's air raid offense is a very easy adjustment. Just food for thought if a change is going to be made.

Reactions: aik
If we get thin at QB, this staff can just move him right back a-la Patrick Devenny in Hawk's first year.

I don't like it, I think guys should find a position and master those skills, but it would not suprise me if this wasn't his last move.

At the time he was recruited, it was well known that Evans eventual position could end up being Tight End.

Frankly, if it was clear during the fall that Evans was unlikely to be a starting QB for us, then I'm glad they didn't waste time making this switch. At 6'3" 220 lbs when he came in as a true freshman, he has the frame to play next season at a solid 235 with more room to grow. If he can do that while maintaining a 4.7-4.8 forty, Evans could be a great tight end.

At the time he was recruited, it was well known that Evans eventual position could end up being Tight End.

Frankly, if it was clear during the fall that Evans was unlikely to be a starting QB for us, then I'm glad they didn't waste time making this switch. At 6'3" 220 lbs when he came in as a true freshman, he has the frame to play next season at a solid 235 with more room to grow. If he can do that while maintaining a 4.7-4.8 forty, Evans could be a great tight end.

Jebus, why is it every kid shrinks after getting on campus. Jon Major was 6-4 while he was being recruited, he's now 6-1. Clark was 6-4, 6-5 and now he's 6-3.

Jebus, why is it every kid shrinks after getting on campus. Jon Major was 6-4 while he was being recruited, he's now 6-1. Clark was 6-4, 6-5 and now he's 6-3.

:lol:

Unless it's a camp/combine measurement for height, weigh, forty or whatnot... then it's self-reported by the very players (or their coaches/parents/reps) who are trying to get recruited and snag a scholarship. Kind of like how almost every RB seems to run a sub- 4.6 forty while in the recruitment process but, somehow, after spending years in a college training environment, more than half of the elite guys who go to the NFL combine end up running slower than that. :smile2:

The spring game will tell everyone what Talkins has in mind for all of the players. I'm anxious to look at the roster to see what position everyone will be assigned. But I have no doubt theres going to be some surprises.

Consider the possibility:

Seth Lobato emerged as a freshmen in '09.
Hirschman showed up in January and quickly established himself - this made an impact perhaps with other's plans?
Lobato and Hirsch are entering their first Springs. They both got 4 years or more to play QB here.

Evans needed no convincing that TE (not QB) is where he will play (sooner or later)- he has been running with the TE's.
Moten needed no convincing that CB (not QB) is where he will play (sooner or later)- he has been running with the DB's.
Both these guys have a chance to break into playing time early now.

Both Evans and Moten were recruited as ATH's by most other schools but CU told them they could try QB. Neither had other BCS schools offering them as QBs that I could see. Moten had Washington offer, but chose CU because they would allow him to compete at QB.

I don't know all the particulars but I was told by a certain coach that Moten had moved to DB and I was told this when Moten had been on campus just a few weeks. I got to believe that Moten pretty quickly saw he couldn't make some of the required throws. This is the quickest way to weed out a QB imo.

Couldn't make the required throws, huh? I don't really care about where Moten plays here, but considering the limitations of the quarterbacks Hawkins has used, I find that particular comment to be... hilarious? We certainly had no problems playing a guy for the better part of three years who had to loft 15 yard passes.

The only possible explanation for moving the next John Elway (only faster and with a stronger arm and x-ray vision) away from QB would be if he plans to play TE and RT simultaneously. Givens could move to LG and Hawk would finally have a fullback that reminds him of himself as a player...MTM.

Couldn't make the required throws, huh? I don't really care about where Moten plays here, but considering the limitations of the quarterbacks Hawkins has used, I find that particular comment to be... hilarious? We certainly had no problems playing a guy for the better part of three years who had to loft 15 yard passes.

Consider the talent we've had here. Moten may have been competing here if he was here to compete with BJax and Nelson, etc. He now has to compete with Lobato and Hirschman and I'm hearing good things from both. Whatever the reason, Moten did NOT hesitate on the move. He was practicing at CB in January.

Consider the talent we've had here. Moten may have been competing here if he was here to compete with BJax and Nelson, etc. He now has to compete with Lobato and Hirschman and I'm hearing good things from both. Whatever the reason, Moten did NOT hesitate on the move. He was practicing at CB in January.

And to be fair, from the day he walked on campus, we've heard that Clark had a lot of work to do to become a candidate for starting QB.

And to be fair, from the day he walked on campus, we've heard that Clark had a lot of work to do to become a candidate for starting QB.

Agree, I posted in another thread what I saw from Evans with his throwing motion. Would have been a long road to get him ready to play D-1 QB. IMO, Lobato looked to be a much more impressive player at the QB than Evans did.

Back