What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Surprise, surprise - Longhorn Network taking more football than advertised

Unfortunately - for a school like Baylor or Texas Tech or Iowa State or Kansas State - getting their 76% share of a $150 million television contract is worth being Texas' bitch. Those schools just saw revenues increase from $7-$8 million to $13-$14 million per year. The alternative is being left high and dry with no conference whatsoever - or being stranded in Conference USA or the MWC where the television contract only pays out about $1 million per year.

You are correct. The Baylor's and ISU's of the world will take it from Texas and like it. I guess I should have clarified in my earlier post, I am glad to have leadership at Nebraska that had the guts to leave the B12 but I am also glad we had a place to go. You probably feel similar for CU.

The amount of money we are talking about by Texas taking a game from FSN and putting it on the LN is negligible, but it is the principal of the matter. Not being able to watch the game unless you subscribe to the LN and put money in UTs pocket. Having to listen to UTs announcers even though its a conference game. Yuck. Plus no matter how minuscule the amount of money, it is going to hurt the pride of OU, aTm etc to know that a little bit of their conference share they are rightfully owed has gone into UTs pocket.

You are correct. The Baylor's and ISU's of the world will take it from Texas and like it. I guess I should have clarified in my earlier post, I am glad to have leadership at Nebraska that had the guts to leave the B12 but I am also glad we had a place to go. You probably feel similar for CU.

The amount of money we are talking about by Texas taking a game from FSN and putting it on the LN is negligible, but it is the principal of the matter. Not being able to watch the game unless you subscribe to the LN and put money in UTs pocket. Having to listen to UTs announcers even though its a conference game. Yuck. Plus no matter how minuscule the amount of money, it is going to hurt the pride of OU, aTm etc to know that a little bit of their conference share they are rightfully owed has gone into UTs pocket.

It is only a matter of time until somebody with enough influence at OU comes to the realization that they are allowing themselves to be in Texas' shadow for no good reason and does something about it. When that time comes...:popcorn:

I'm pretty sure that the Longhorn network is going to be part of your basic sports package and you will not be paying directly for the longhorn network.

Also, if the Longhorn network was not televising the game it would not be on TV at all - or it would be on pay per view which is even worse (a few Texas games per year used to be on pay-per-view, now you can see it for free).

I dont know why anyone is complaining about this - you wouldn't see the game at all if it weren't for UT, and ESPN is paying for it - not you.

Are you also pissed that ESPN just picked up the BCS games, and wimbledon, and the first few rounds of the masters and US Open???

I'm pretty sure that the Longhorn network is going to be part of your basic sports package and you will not be paying directly for the longhorn network.

Also, if the Longhorn network was not televising the game it would not be on TV at all - or it would be on pay per view which is even worse (a few Texas games per year used to be on pay-per-view, now you can see it for free).

I dont know why anyone is complaining about this - you wouldn't see the game at all if it weren't for UT, and ESPN is paying for it - not you.

Are you also pissed that ESPN just picked up the BCS games, and wimbledon, and the first few rounds of the masters and US Open???

Completely missing the point.

In the Pac-12 and the Big 10, a conference network was created that would televise the games not picked up by network affiliates and be a significant revenue benefit to all programs. In the Big 12, a Texas Longhorns network was created that would televise the games not picked up by network affiliates and be a significant revenue benefit to UT. A couple UT games for now, but it's the first salvo while the network isn't widely available. UT has shown in the past that they will not stop asking for more no matter how much you give them.

Completely missing the point.

In the Pac-12 and the Big 10, a conference network was created that would televise the games not picked up by network affiliates and be a significant revenue benefit to all programs. In the Big 12, a Texas Longhorns network was created that would televise the games not picked up by network affiliates and be a significant revenue benefit to UT. A couple UT games for now, but it's the first salvo while the network isn't widely available. UT has shown in the past that they will not stop asking for more no matter how much you give them.

Of course, if OU wants to start their own television network, they can. If A&M wants to start their own network - go for it. If they can get cable providers to jump on board - perfectly fine in the Big 12 conference. UT is certainly the flag carrier on this issue, so far, but there is nothing preventing the other Big 12 teams from doing the exact same thing if they so desire.

Of course, if OU wants to start their own television network, they can. If A&M wants to start their own network - go for it. If they can get cable providers to jump on board - perfectly fine in the Big 12 conference. UT is certainly the flag carrier on this issue, so far, but there is nothing preventing the other Big 12 teams from doing the exact same thing if they so desire.

Sure. As we both know, they can't make it work from a numbers standpoint on their own. OU and TAMU were the only ones that had a chance, but UT is now the first mover in the only media markets that matter in Big 12 country. Value and willingness of cable operators in Texas to take more single program networks is drastically reduced.

Regardless, I am not arguing that I don't see UT's side of the argument. I do. But they place very little value on the overall health/strength of the conference they are in and end up being conference killers. The Big 12 is run like no other conference in the country due to UT's special demands. I'm so glad we're out.

...and the first bitching about this situation in the conference begins. Article today by Tramel out of OU country. Raises a lot of the questions we've been raising on here. Apparently this is happening because Fox and ESPN colluded for a little quid pro quo. Bevo-net gets an extra game, and Fox gets to broadcast a couple of their tier 2 games on their flagship channel to pair with their PAC games.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2011/07/07/big-12-football-espn-fox-collusion-troubling/

This is not about a game they know won't be televised. How would they know that? It is a Big XII conference game the Longhorn Network is promising. How do they know whether all the Texas conference games will be on TV or not?

This is supposedly a waiver FSN is giving the Longhorn Network (ESPN) to show a game that would otherwise be on FSN as part of the Big XII contract. Did you read Berry Trammel's blog today? Here is the link:

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/

Typical Texas T-shirt fan:

Yo Dingle Berry, get one thing straight. We as in Texas rules this conference. Oklahomo may take a few wins here and there, but we all know it’s because OU loves to cheat. Your teams were and are built on Texas talent. If you think you can do better in the PAC-12 or SEC be our guests. Just remember UT is your master.

"Your teams were and are built on Texas talent. If you think you can do better in the PAC-12 or SEC be our guests. Just remember UT is your master. "

I don't disagree with this part of his post at all.

I would be so pissed off if CU were still in the Big 12.

The school that I feel the most sorry for in all this is KU. They deserve better. MU is getting what it deserves. As is Baylor. Screw them. KU has a history of solid athletics, particularly in basketball, but they've had some minor football success as well. The school that produced Gayle Sayers shouldn't be relegated to being Texas' bitch.

The school that I feel the most sorry for in all this is KU. They deserve better. MU is getting what it deserves. As is Baylor. Screw them. KU has a history of solid athletics, particularly in basketball, but they've had some minor football success as well. The school that produced Gayle Sayers shouldn't be relegated to being Texas' bitch.

Why no Troy Davis love!?

You know, if I was a nice person, I'd agree with you. However, since I'm kind of an ass, I say screw KU. I've had more than enough of their basketball fans' attitude that it more than cancels out Gale Sayers for me. The XII Lite can all schrivel up and die for all I care anymore. :devil:

Reaction from the ADs of the two Oklahoma schools on Bevo Net finding a way to get a Big 12 conference game. The OSU AD sounds a little freaked. That UT Okie State game has the potential to be one of the premier conference games this year...imagine the riot they would have in OK if the only way to watch that game was on Bevo's channel...that nobody had.

http://newsok.com/article/3583298

But of course Texas's stance is going to be...gosh, sucks, sorry...nothing we can do, its not our fault, the networks own the rights to the games once the conference sold them. Amazing how everything always seems to favor Texas but its never their fault.

That's not even counting the fact that the other team's fans are going to already have to deal with a broadcast show and announcers that are employees of the University of Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction from the ADs of the two Oklahoma schools on Bevo Net finding a way to get a Big 12 conference game. The OSU AD sounds a little freaked. That UT Okie State game has the potential to be one of the premier conference games this year...imagine the riot they would have in OK if the only way to watch that game was on Bevo's channel...that nobody had.

http://newsok.com/article/3583298

But of course Texas's stance is going to be...gosh, sucks, sorry...nothing we can do, its not our fault, the networks own the rights to the games once the conference sold them. Amazing how everything always seems to favor Texas but its never their fault.

That's not even counting the fact that the other team's fans are going to already have to deal with a broadcast show and announcers that are employees of the University of Texas.

I wouldn't quite call them employees seeing how they are paying the University, not getting paid by the university.

I wouldn't quite call them employees seeing how they are paying the University, not getting paid by the university.

Actually wasn't there an article about a month or two ago that UT basically retained the ability to approve (and fire) any of the employees of the Longhorn network, particularly the on-air talent?

Actually wasn't there an article about a month or two ago that UT basically retained the ability to approve (and fire) any of the employees of the Longhorn network, particularly the on-air talent?

haha, I believe it. If they can choose who is in their conference, they can probably choose who to put on TV as well.

Who was driving down Arapahoe today in a tan/gold-ish Honda with the "**** TEXAS" bumper sticker? Very nice.

That's 'Tini's mom's car. But what she means by "f**k Texas" is different then the way I think you're interpreting it.

LOL
511047MGNTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We all LOVE his mom though, so it evens out right?

Sorry for the confusion.

I understand perfectly why we hate 'tini.

My point was that JRK--a dude that seems to piss everybody off--came through with a great post.

i'd rather listen to Longhorn biased announcers than Kirk Herbstreit shouting his mono-syllabic, repetitive non-sense at me. almost....it would be entertaining in that non-intended hilarious sort of way. "Herbie" is worse than Billy Packer at picking one thing to say and repeating with "like i said earlier" attached to it....for the whole game. for a while i had an audio file of the 2001 Big XII Championship game Texas radio broadcast. THAT was hilarious. for 2 or 3 summers in a row in the off-season, i'd buy a 12 pack of something potable and laugh my ass off at the pregame and the horn self-fellatio (oh, good times)....and then it all went wrong for them. suckers.

i'd rather listen to Longhorn biased announcers than Kirk Herbstreit shouting his mono-syllabic, repetitive non-sense at me. almost....it would be entertaining in that non-intended hilarious sort of way. "Herbie" is worse than Billy Packer at picking one thing to say and repeating with "like i said earlier" attached to it....for the whole game. for a while i had an audio file of the 2001 Big XII Championship game Texas radio broadcast. THAT was hilarious. for 2 or 3 summers in a row in the off-season, i'd buy a 12 pack of something potable and laugh my ass off at the pregame and the horn self-fellatio (oh, good times)....and then it all went wrong for them. suckers.

I dunno. If they can self-fellatiate, I'd argue they've actually won...

I wonder what it would take for OU to let go of the RRSO if they *had* to.

I think (after much observation) they would rather staple their tongues to a burning building than drop the game.

The Red River Shootout is OU's recruiting link to Texas, so it would kill them to get rid of this game - it just will not happen. 44 players, out of 99, on their current roster are from Texas, it would be a major blow.

They ARE Texas-heavy. I don't see why OU did not boldly take the Aggies with em to the SEC and keep the RRR. Unless the SEC interest we read about last summer was not that strong?

The problem with the sooner network is that most OU fans still don't have TV's. Most of their trailers are just now getting radio.

:rofl:

It is only a matter of time until somebody with enough influence at OU comes to the realization that they are allowing themselves to be in Texas' shadow for no good reason and does something about it. When that time comes...:popcorn:

Their thought process is that they are making Texas suffer. They lead the XII in conference championships, and Texas seems to be headed to the gutter. They are enjoying this in a strange sadistic way that border war participants only truly understand.

Their thought process is that they are making Texas suffer. They lead the XII in conference championships, and Texas seems to be headed to the gutter. They are enjoying this in a strange sadistic way that border war participants only truly understand.

First off: Welcome back. We missed you.

Second, if what you're saying here is true, OU is in big trouble, long term. They've bought in to a slow train to oblivion. UT will spend them to death and turn them into another Kansas or Missouri. OU is putting all their eggs into the Bob Stoops basket. Stoops is a great coach, but there's no guarantee that the next guy will be as good. When OU finds itself in a situation where coaches can make more money at Washington State, it'll realize what a giant pile of bevo dung they are in.

First off: Welcome back. We missed you.

Second, if what you're saying here is true, OU is in big trouble, long term. They've bought in to a slow train to oblivion. UT will spend them to death and turn them into another Kansas or Missouri. OU is putting all their eggs into the Bob Stoops basket. Stoops is a great coach, but there's no guarantee that the next guy will be as good. When OU finds itself in a situation where coaches can make more money at Washington State, it'll realize what a giant pile of bevo dung they are in.

You lost me there. Washington State pays their head football coach $600,000. OU pays it's head football coach $4 million. Bob Stoops made $750,000 his first season at OU.

Texas has the largest athletic department budget in NCAA sports, and already spends more than OU by approximately $50 million. LB hit it on the head. As long as OU beats Texas on the field, (which they have done pretty well over the past decade) OU will be perfectly content to let Texas bring in their millions. From 2000 to 2010 - OU won 7 Big 12 Championships. Texas won 2. OU is 7-4 against Texas over that same span.

It will be interesting to see what happens at OU in 10 years. I do not think Bob Stoops will still be head coach in a decade; this is already his 14th season at OU. (By comparison, Barry Switzer coached at OU for 16 seasons, Bud Wilkinson coached at OU for 17 seasons) Stoops' replacement will have big shoes to fill. At the same time, I do not think Mack Brown will be the head coach at Texas in a decade. (Mack Brown will be 60 in a month, Bob Stoops will be 51 this fall) If Texas drops off a couple more seasons like last season, Mack Brown might be gone before he even gets to spend the ESPN money.

Back