What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Surrency to lose eligibility?

If the NCAA ****s him, I would hope some Seminole booster(s) could find a way to get him through his last year of school.

At least let him get his degree. It's one thing to not let him play ball, it's just wrong to let him stay in school and better himself and his family.

At least let him get his degree. It's one thing to not let him play ball, it's just wrong to let him stay in school and better himself and his family.

I agree, I really hope he is somehow helped to finish his degree because otherwise it is just allowing another systematic failure to hurt somebody.

As much as I dislike the NCAA I can somewhat see a point. I dont agree with the point at all. The article says that the NCAA spokesperson said

The rule, said NCAA spokesman Jennifer Kearns, is designed to "to minimize competitive advantage" by ensuring a "normal progression" through high school and the entry to college. Surrency, because his high school career was interrupted, got into the system too late.

So if he got in "too late" how in the world is BYU allowed to let kids go away for 2 years, get 2 years older, stronger etc and then come back and act as if that never happened? I have a feeling that had something like this happened at, oh say, Notre Dame or even BYU that the issue would not be like this. It would really be a shame if he wasnt able to complete his degree in criminal justice (which I find slightly ironic)

As much as I dislike the NCAA I can somewhat see a point. I dont agree with the point at all. The article says that the NCAA spokesperson said

So if he got in "too late" how in the world is BYU allowed to let kids go away for 2 years, get 2 years older, stronger etc and then come back and act as if that never happened? I have a feeling that had something like this happened at, oh say, Notre Dame or even BYU that the issue would not be like this. It would really be a shame if he wasnt able to complete his degree in criminal justice (which I find slightly ironic)

I don't find that ironic at all. Often people who go into that field have had some prior experience that will give them insight and a passion for proper justice and cleaning up injustices in the system. I wish him well. Lots of kids make mistakes and pay the price-- let the man finish school as that should be the priority of the NCAA anyway, right?

The rule is to prevent college sports from becoming a minor league for pro sports. Which seems to be working flawlessly.

Anyway smart football has a pretty good post on it: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/04/corey-surrency-swallowed-by-system.html Goes into some prior legal battles with the NCAA. On the "bright" side Surrency had some off the field issues that caused him to be suspended half the year, so I don't feel too bad for him if he doesn't win (which he won't), but yea enemy of my enemy is almost always the NCAA.

I'm just glad he didn't come here. This would be the last thing I'd want us to be going through in the off season. :huh:

CFL the kid and let him do pro training here for 3 years by then he can if the talents there get a nice contract NFL wise.

Back