What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle Recruiting

If Ricardo Patton was such a stud recruiter, how was he not able to land Nick Fazekas (Nevada), Jason Smith (CSU), or Sean OrgirI (Wichita State)? All of those guys are from Colorado and had excellent college careers.

If Ricardo Patton was such a stud recruiter, how was he not able to land Nick Fazekas (Nevada), Jason Smith (CSU), or Sean OrgirI (Wichita State)? All of those guys are from Colorado and had excellent college careers.
Patton's success hinged SOLELY on landing Chauncey. The success that came from that helped him land a couple of other highly rated recruits. If Patton hadn't pulled Billups, CU during his tenure would've maxed out at about 15 wins a year MAX. Patton was a ****ty coach which is why he's never gotten another real shot. FACTS.

Last edited:
Patton's success hinged SOLELY on landing Chauncey. The success that came from that helped him land a couple of other highly rated recruits. If Patton hadn't pulled Billups, CU during his tenure would've maxed out at about 15 wins a year MAX. Patton was a ****ty coach which is why he's never gotten another real shot. FACTS.
****TY coach is BS

****TY coach is BS, if so, then Tad isn't far behind.

Chancey didn't do it all by himself. Fred Edmonds, Martice Moore, Ronnie DeGray, Greg Jensen, Howard Friar, C'mon Man Patton put together a great team there.

Last edited:
Patton's winning percentage: .535
Boyle's winning percentage: . 619

Patton had three 20 win seasons
Boyle has six 20 win seasons

Patton made it to the tournament twice
Boyle has made it four times.
My point is Patton being a ****TY Coach is overboard. Harrington had 6 seasons and had 0 appearances. Patton gave us hope, now Tad has to move us further, which he has, but now we want more.

And as far as winning percentages go, I think it's fair to say the Big 12 was a lot tougher than the Pac 12 is. KU, KSU, ISU, UT, TT, MU, OU, OSU, etc...Old Big 12 was a beast.

Last edited:
ugh...Best recruiting head coach the Buffs Basketball team has ever had (and best overall coach)

I’m a Boyle fan (except for his offenses). But I think there’s a bigger context that we often don’t reach in our discussions about CU. We too often seem to pull out the “the best the Buffs have ever had” explanations for why something or someone should continue to do the same thing they always have. Maybe we can start to think less about our past and more about possibilities for the future. There’s nothing set in stone that a team and culture can’t change! Just because something was the best that that school has ever had doesn’t mean it should be the benchmark forever. Otherwise we may as well just throw in the towel because the best is behind us! We need to also be able to reach, in our vision first, forwards and upwards.

But I also agree that when something was great in its time, it’s also great for all time. But that’s in our respect and healthy connection to the past, it doesn’t mean we need to continue to recreate the past. Times change, culture’s change, people change. Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller... it's computers...

San Dimas High School football rules!!

Big 12 was a far superior basketball conference during Pattons era than the Pac12 has been during the Tadwick era...Pac 12 has been pretty bad in hoops the last eight years.

I'm pretty impressed Ricardo managed to get his teams into the WNIT four times, but I'm a little concerned he never won that competition.

In all seriousness, trying to portray Tad as taking over a successfully competitive program from Ricardo is a big, big, big stretch. Besides being a factual impossibility, ignoring how Ricardo's tenure ended destroys the last shred of persuasiveness in the above post.
WNIT? at first i thought it a typo but then realized 'w' is nowhere near 'n' on a standard keyboard -- what's the joke i'm missing?

****TY coach is BS, if so, then Tad isn't far behind.

Chancey didn't do it all by himself. Fred Edmonds, Martice Moore, Ronnie DeGray, Greg Jensen, Howard Friar, C'mon Man Patton put together a great team there.

I agree with you that RP wasn't a ****TY coach, but I do not think he was above average. Basically, I don't think he was very good. The team you reference, I think was primarily Chaunc and without him, that team doesn't make the NIT. Moore fed off of attention to Chaunc, and while I liked Edmonds and Friar a lot, they were role players. RP's best team was the Pelle, Harrison, Michel, Wilson, etc. team that I felt underperformed actually.

Basically while I think Tad deserves some heat, he is the best coach I've ever seen at CU, by far, and Boyle >>>> RP. Not just the last, which Bohn didn't help at all, but his last few seasons at CU left a really bad taste in my mouth. It also showed lack of planning and professionalism. I recall a quote of his in the camera during his last year, where he told the reporter the staff was trying to coach the team less and force them to figure things out.............. .......what a ****ing joke. The guy wasn't the best coach, and with a group of freshmen, he was trying to coach them less? When Bz came here, a lot of the freshmen, now sophs, were amazed at the level of teaching his staff provided, until they were told to hunt for PT elsewhere that is.

Criticizing Tad's recruiting I think is fair, but some statements in the bball threads are overblown/dramatic. This group of juniors is one of the better classes we've had roll through, and call me stubborn, I'm still behind the team and believe they can make some noise. Granted, I was traveling with work and didn't see the UNI game; I can't sympathize truly with everyone's frustrations.

I agree with you that RP wasn't a ****TY coach, but I do not think he was above average. Basically, I don't think he was very good. The team you reference, I think was primarily Chaunc and without him, that team doesn't make the NIT. Moore fed off of attention to Chaunc, and while I liked Edmonds and Friar a lot, they were role players. RP's best team was the Pelle, Harrison, Michel, Wilson, etc. team that I felt underperformed actually.

Basically while I think Tad deserves some heat, he is the best coach I've ever seen at CU, by far, and Boyle >>>> RP. Not just the last, which Bohn didn't help at all, but his last few seasons at CU left a really bad taste in my mouth. It also showed lack of planning and professionalism. I recall a quote of his in the camera during his last year, where he told the reporter the staff was trying to coach the team less and force them to figure things out.............. .......what a ****ing joke. The guy wasn't the best coach, and with a group of freshmen, he was trying to coach them less? When Bz came here, a lot of the freshmen, now sophs, were amazed at the level of teaching his staff provided, until they were told to hunt for PT elsewhere that is.

Criticizing Tad's recruiting I think is fair, but some statements in the bball threads are overblown/dramatic. This group of juniors is one of the better classes we've had roll through, and call me stubborn, I'm still behind the team and believe they can make some noise. Granted, I was traveling with work and didn't see the UNI game; I can't sympathize truly with everyone's frustrations.
Agree! That Harrison Michel Wilson Pelleteam was so close to great. Didn’t Michel get hurt that year and the. Kinda fell of a cliff. Harrison was always a little sketchy. He would disappear for long periods. But dang that was a fun team.

this years team should be better, a lot better! I haven’t really had a problem with the offense until this year. The last two losses aren’t great. But this team has played only two half’s of good basketball. Second half of Clemson and the second half of Wyoming.

it pains me to say, but Kin has massively regressed this year in my mind. He can’t get to the hole. Tyler just iNBA ready at all. Walton isnt healthy enough to contribute on the offensive end. Schwartz hasn’t improved.

if they play like this in PAC 12 play. It’s going to be a very LONG season. They won’t finish 500 in league as it stands. Still hope. But dang frustrating this year.

Basically while I think Tad deserves some heat, he is the best coach I've ever seen at CU, by far, and Boyle >>>> RP. Not just the last, which Bohn didn't help at all, but his last few seasons at CU left a really bad taste in my mouth. It also showed lack of planning and professionalism.
The lack of consistent winning and getting better started the ball rolling for Patton's release. Then a few players turned on Patton when he tried to get tough on them. Then things just got really ugly from there.

On recruiting Tad has been great but we need a top HS/JC shot creator and some more height to battle the big boys. I really hope the Center from Wyoming is good and doesn't end up being another Mills. It baffles me how we don't have any wing players that can create their own shots. Schwartz is not there yet. Battey looks like he's our best one on one player.. We've always had players like White, Booker, Dinwiddie, Burks, Brown, etc.. This team is one of those guys away from being special. I'd like to see Tad recruit more proven guys from JC or transfers that can score. Seems to be working for Oregon. We're not too far away, but we need a sweet 16 really soon. This is the 10 year mark, should we have to wait another 10 for a sweet 16 appearance. Hoping it happens this year.

The reality is that RP took us to the dance, had 20+ winning seasons, once finished 2nd in conference, and made it to the postseason with regularity.

Does the argument for Tad reduce to the fact that he can more or less achieve the same level of success but in a much much weaker Pac-12 conference (compared to the old Big-12)? Not impressed.

Let's define what our expectations are for Tad. If the expectation is we have an old grouchy coach that can't engage young athletes on social media, can't recruit with the top Pac-12 schools (let alone top-25 programs), and is just "maintaining" the plateau of achievement that Ricardo Patton accomplished well I can live with that. However, let's then acknowledge what Tad really is. A mediocre lifer, who is just treading water. He's not losing. His teams have never been and will never be relevant in terms of winning a NCAA Championship nor a regular season Pac-12 championship (beyond an occasional tournament upset).

Tad has NEVER managed to get farther in the NCAA tournament than Ricardo Patton. That is the standard. Nothing else matters. RP got to the second round in 50% of his NCAA appearances. Tad Boyle has failed to get to the tournament in multiple seasons where he should have, blames his players, deflects ownership and accountability, and in the four times he has been to the dance has made the second round exactly ONCE.

Tad 1:4 for the second round, just a "maintainer" will NEVER improve this program.
Ricardo 1:2 for the second round and did it first, and rebuilt the program.

The reality is that RP took us to the dance, had 20+ winning seasons, once finished 2nd in conference, and made it to the postseason with regularity.

Does the argument for Tad reduce to the fact that he can more or less achieve the same level of success but in a much much weaker Pac-12 conference (compared to the old Big-12)? Not impressed.

Let's define what our expectations are for Tad. If the expectation is we have an old grouchy coach that can't engage young athletes on social media, can't recruit with the top Pac-12 schools (let alone top-25 programs), and is just "maintaining" the plateau of achievement that Ricardo Patton accomplished well I can live with that. However, let's then acknowledge what Tad really is. A mediocre lifer, who is just treading water. He's not losing. His teams have never been and will never be relevant in terms of winning a NCAA Championship nor a regular season Pac-12 championship (beyond an occasional tournament upset).

Tad has NEVER managed to get farther in the NCAA tournament than Ricardo Patton. That is the standard. Nothing else matters. RP got to the second round in 50% of his NCAA appearances. Tad Boyle has failed to get to the tournament in multiple seasons where he should have, blames his players, deflects ownership and accountability, and in the four times he has been to the dance has made the second round exactly ONCE.

Tad 1:4 for the second round, just a "maintainer" will NEVER improve this program.
Ricardo 1:2 for the second round and did it first, and rebuilt the program.

why is tournament wins suddenly the gold standard? I think tournament appearances is a stronger metric, but it invalidates your stupid argument, which is why you don't want to use it.

why is tournament wins suddenly the gold standard? I think tournament appearances is a stronger metric, but it invalidates your stupid argument, which is why you don't want to use it.

the moron is clearly a troll - nobody is that stupid...I don't think. I was about to respond to him until I read a few more pages and his posts. I think if we all ignore him, he'll go away.

I am very disappointed that he has 17 likes by fellow Allbuffers though..........

Ricardo Patton isn’t the coach of the University of Colorado anymore. Tad Boyle is the coach. He coaches in a mega weak conference.

What do the Boyle defenders have as the standard by which he should be judged? NIT good enough? NCAA appearances are the standard? What’s the metric by which he should be evaluated if he doesn’t make it again this season?

I’m only asking because this team is supposed to be good and have the same issue Boyle’s teams of the past have had: mega clunkers on offense against good teams.

Making the tournament means you are a top 67 team. To win the first round, top 32. I think the goal should be 2nd round of the tournament or better. Tad's recruiting and offense are not good. This year's recruiting class is very MEH. Can anyone shoot or play pick n roll? Top teams in the P12 consistently recruit 4-stars. The last one we got was Schwartz and I don't remember many more. Recruiting for me has been underwhelming and Tad's approach to it is very concerning. I thought the new coach might help, but I didn't see it. I'm not opposed to moving on from Tad for this reason and his lack of an offensive identity. Something needs to change, soon.

The reality is that you do NOT find a Pac-12 big conference coach up the highway in Greeley. At least not one that is ever going to win anything. Give Tad credit in that he's run a clean program. For all the apologists for Tad, they seem to wield a paint brush that Tad has accomplished things at CU that no other coach at CU ever has, and that's just not true. What is true is that Tad will NEVER take this program to where it needs to go, and where it could go. I always laugh when I read Rick George's expectations for the AD. While Rick may talk championships, being mediocre is fine with RG because Tad is cheap. The very definition of whether a coach is any good is whether other program want them. The one thing we need never worry about is that Tad is going to leave CU to go and coach somewhere else. #coachforlife

Ricardo Patton isn’t the coach of the University of Colorado anymore. Tad Boyle is the coach. He coaches in a mega weak conference.

What do the Boyle defenders have as the standard by which he should be judged? NIT good enough? NCAA appearances are the standard? What’s the metric by which he should be evaluated if he doesn’t make it again this season?

I’m only asking because this team is supposed to be good and have the same issue Boyle’s teams of the past have had: mega clunkers on offense against good teams.

So count me in the Tad defenders, but not in the coach-for-life camp. To me, the metric changes depending on the team, and I think everyone should be disappointed in losing to UNI at home. So this year, I expect NCAA, and I hope for actually winning a game or even two. Last year, I personally thought we should be a bubble team, but most seemed to think I was too high on them, which perhaps was right. Three years ago, I just wanted to see our current juniors to show promise as freshmen, and they did that. Yes, Tad is not an offensive genius, and our team doesn't have offensive beasts. But, I still think this team is good.

The overall standard imo, and I think most on the boards agree on this, is make the tournament about (or a little more than) half of the time, with a S16 every now and then (as in every several years, not every other appearance).

Making the tournament means you are a top 67 team. To win the first round, top 32. I think the goal should be 2nd round of the tournament or better. Tad's recruiting and offense are not good. This year's recruiting class is very MEH. Can anyone shoot or play pick n roll? Top teams in the P12 consistently recruit 4-stars. The last one we got was Schwartz and I don't remember many more. Recruiting for me has been underwhelming and Tad's approach to it is very concerning. I thought the new coach might help, but I didn't see it. I'm not opposed to moving on from Tad for this reason and his lack of an offensive identity. Something needs to change, soon.

Bey was also a four star, and our '20 signee Clifford is also a four star by 247. Recruiting can be underwhelming, but Tad seems to be adamant on doing it the right way. I also think recruiting could use some life, but I do not think it is time to move on from Tad yet. He deserves more patience imo.

The reality is that you do NOT find a Pac-12 big conference coach up the highway in Greeley. At least not one that is ever going to win anything. Give Tad credit in that he's run a clean program. For all the apologists for Tad, they seem to wield a paint brush that Tad has accomplished things at CU that no other coach at CU ever has, and that's just not true. What is true is that Tad will NEVER take this program to where it needs to go, and where it could go. I always laugh when I read Rick George's expectations for the AD. While Rick may talk championships, being mediocre is fine with RG because Tad is cheap. The very definition of whether a coach is any good is whether other program want them. The one thing we need never worry about is that Tad is going to leave CU to go and coach somewhere else. #coachforlife
Man. You’re ****ing stupid.

I'll start by saying that I would be very disappointed if Tad doesn't make the dance this year (and next year assuming Kin and Bey come back, which looks likely). But what do you ****ing morons want. Tad is already making the dance 44% of the time. The coach before him went 0% of the time, and then coach before that went 17% the of time (yes I rounded up on that pathetic number). That takes us back to 1995 and I don't really care what happened at CU when I was a teenager, much less 40 years before I was born like some posters do.

For a school that has been terrible at basketball for basically my entire life, to have a chance to go to the dance 50% of the time in a decade is awesome. Add 3 NIT appearances to the total and a conference championship and I am a happy dude along with the other 8,000 fans in the keg. It does hold over 11,000, so there is room for 3,000 of you to get on board the bandwagon and shut the **** up about CU basketball not winning enough under Tad.

Thank God. Least prepared teams I’d ever seen in my life. Still remember talking to Ringo before he went full asshole at a game and some of the stories he had about Patton’s “practices” were absolutely hilarious.
Patton is irrelevant to the discussion as to whether or not Tad Boyle is currently doing a satisfactory job as the Colorado Men’s Head Basketball Coach.

Patton is irrelevant to the discussion as to whether or not Tad Boyle is currently doing a satisfactory job as the Colorado Men’s Head Basketball Coach.

I agree but the majority of posts on this boardover the last 24 hours have been about Patton for some reason. And any chance I can remind people that he was a horrible coach (and annoy @Scotch) i will take

Back