What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle Recruiting

The reality is that you do NOT find a Pac-12 big conference coach up the highway in Greeley. At least not one that is ever going to win anything. Give Tad credit in that he's run a clean program. For all the apologists for Tad, they seem to wield a paint brush that Tad has accomplished things at CU that no other coach at CU ever has, and that's just not true. What is true is that Tad will NEVER take this program to where it needs to go, and where it could go. I always laugh when I read Rick George's expectations for the AD. While Rick may talk championships, being mediocre is fine with RG because Tad is cheap. The very definition of whether a coach is any good is whether other program want them. The one thing we need never worry about is that Tad is going to leave CU to go and coach somewhere else. #coachforlife
Your posts just keep getting worse. It's comical.

I'd settle for getting a Dance bid most years.
That's where I'm at. We've been pretty much the most consistent program in the Pac-12 under Tad. I just want to see that consistency ratchet up a notch so we're more of a Top 40 program over an average 10-year timeline rather than a Top 60 program as we've been.

Last edited:
That's where I'm at. We've been pretty much the most consistent program in the Pac-12 under Tad. I just want to see that consistency ratchet up a notch so we're more of a Top 40 program over an average 10-year timeline rather than a Top 60 program as we've been.

A change in recruiting philosophy would need to happen. Given Boyle's grand stand on the FBI thing 2 years ago I'm not sure that's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
A change in recruiting philosophy would need to happen. Given Boyle's grand stand on the FBI thing 2 years ago I'm not sure that's possible.
There are ways it can be achieved to the level we're talking about without exposing Tad and CU to what folks seem concerned about. I'm not talking about turning it into a Memphis or LSU type situation with our program to get ahead. But there are ways to play the game everyone else plays so that we can recruit at the level where every class is filled with Top 150 recruits and occasionally includes a Top 50 guy in that mix.

I really like Tad. But, he is a good guy all the way. there are times i wish he had more fire/anger. just once in awhile

Yes. CU should not be an NIT-level program at this point.

CU should also not be a Sweet 16-and-beyond in most years program either.

Somewhere in between those levels and Tad hasn't had us there.

I think everyone likes that we haven't had very low lows under Tad, but the frustration is that it's been a long ass time since we've had any real highs.
Someone remind me of the RG goals for the basketball program. They seemed pretty aggressive as I recall, I suspect Tad isn’t meeting them. Although no doubt football is falling far shorter.

Tad has his imperfections. His unwillingness to change how he handles the offense continues to give us these stretches where we don't score and teams end up making double figure moves on the scoreboard.

Like it or not he is also not willing to compromise his values and get into the business of buying a championship. I like that the university I support isn't selling out to win games.

The PAC is weaker at the top than some other conferences like the B12 but it is much more balanced top to bottom than most. Winning 20 games multiple times is an accomplishment.

Odds are fairly slim that if we got rid of Tad that any of the next few coaches would do better.

Tad has his imperfections. His unwillingness to change how he handles the offense continues to give us these stretches where we don't score and teams end up making double figure moves on the scoreboard.

Like it or not he is also not willing to compromise his values and get into the business of buying a championship. I like that the university I support isn't selling out to win games.

The PAC is weaker at the top than some other conferences like the B12 but it is much more balanced top to bottom than most. Winning 20 games multiple times is an accomplishment.

Odds are fairly slim that if we got rid of Tad that any of the next few coaches would do better.

TLDR; don't fire Ben Howland.

Losing Eason to Cincinnati is not cool.

You almost wonder if his aggressive attack on AZ, USC et al and the corruption in Basketball is having consequences.

Losing Eason to Cincinnati is not cool.

You almost wonder if his aggressive attack on AZ, USC et al and the corruption in Basketball is having consequences.
Just outside the Top 100 prospects. That's the level of recruit we need to fill our roster with. Very frustrating.

Losing Eason really stings. Tad relies too much on anchor classes (the current group of juniors + Josh Scott’s class are examples of these)...looking at the last handful of recruits we’ve signed paints a very uncertain picture for the post-Kin years:

Kountz, Parquet, Dombek, Clifford, Lovering, O'Brien, and Barthelemy

Hopefully we see Coach Coleman’s hiring have an impact soon

Losing Eason really stings. Tad relies too much on anchor classes (the current group of juniors + Josh Scott’s class are examples of these)...looking at the last handful of recruits we’ve signed paints a very uncertain picture for the post-Kin years:

Kountz, Parquet, Dombek, Clifford, Lovering, O'Brien, and Barthelemy

Hopefully we see Coach Coleman’s hiring have an impact soon
Barthelemy is probably the best recruit Tad has ever landed.

We need a front court guy badly, though. Losing Siewert and likely Bey is a ton of minutes and production to replace.

We need a front court guy badly, though. Losing Siewert and likely Bey is a ton of minutes and production to replace.
I really thought Tyler would leave. But Watching Tyler matchup against ObI Tobbin and Eli Scott. ( both Seniors) I believe. He just isn’t ready. I think there is a better than average shot he stays for his senior year.

That’s high praise for Barthelemy.

I think that's a bit too high of praise at this time, man. I like the look of Barthelemy a lot, but until we see him in person, who knows. If referring to rankings, which I don't think you are, Xavier Johnson, Josh Scott, and Schwartz are probably the highest recruits that Tad's landed. I was very excited about Tre'shaun and Xavier as recruits.

While I do think there's a minor chance that Bey returns at this rate, yeah, agreed we need some size with better skill than Strating. I wonder if Tad plans on putting Ryder on scholarship if Bey leaves? I know jack **** about Frank, so I would feel more comfortable with a JUCO.

FWIW, a quick look at 247 has us as "Warmer" with Jaylen Clark, a SG out of CA.. Doesn't help with the length, but he would still help. Coleman is apparently leading the recruiting, but one CB to USC. UNM and CU are Warmer and UCLA and USC are Warm fwiw.

Given that, I'm still curious as to why we haven't seen Barthelemy yet, but have to admit that I can't recall if he's eligible, and I'm a little rusty with bball redshirt rules – can you play a % of the season and still redshirt, or is that just for medical shirts?

Given that, I'm still curious as to why we haven't seen Barthelemy yet, but have to admit that I can't recall if he's eligible, and I'm a little rusty with bball redshirt rules – can you play a % of the season and still redshirt, or is that just for medical shirts?
What happened is that he was classified as a 2020 recruit and would have been a blue chip. Tad got him by allowing him to re-classify as a 2019, enroll this year, and get a year of development on campus (S&C + practices) while redshirting.

The plan has been for him to take the torch from Kin or, if Kin chooses to come back for his senior season, to be his battery mate in the backcourt.

I think that's a bit too high of praise at this time, man. I like the look of Barthelemy a lot, but until we see him in person, who knows. If referring to rankings, which I don't think you are, Xavier Johnson, Josh Scott, and Schwartz are probably the highest recruits that Tad's landed. I was very excited about Tre'shaun and Xavier as recruits.

While I do think there's a minor chance that Bey returns at this rate, yeah, agreed we need some size with better skill than Strating. I wonder if Tad plans on putting Ryder on scholarship if Bey leaves? I know jack **** about Frank, so I would feel more comfortable with a JUCO.

FWIW, a quick look at 247 has us as "Warmer" with Jaylen Clark, a SG out of CA.. Doesn't help with the length, but he would still help. Coleman is apparently leading the recruiting, but one CB to USC. UNM and CU are Warmer and UCLA and USC are Warm fwiw.

If I was a recruit I wouldn't touch USC with a 10 foot poll given the impending sanctions, but apparently 18 year olds don't care 🤷‍♂️

I remember seeing pre season report that Barthelemy is potentially very good. If Bey has legitimate chance to come back next year, that's when I think we will be a legit SS team.

Buffs beat Dayton, but I wouldn't expect recruiting to improve. I think no Power 5 program will ever try to sign Tad because he has proven he can't or won't engage on social media effectively enough to recruit in today's environment. So I don't expect the Buffs will be able to cash the check this season's success would normally bring a program with better recruits. Tad is who he is. A competitive recruiter he isn't and will never be.

Buffs beat Dayton, but I wouldn't expect recruiting to improve. I think no Power 5 program will ever try to sign Tad because he has proven he can't or won't engage on social media effectively enough to recruit in today's environment. So I don't expect the Buffs will be able to cash the check this season's success would normally bring a program with better recruits. Tad is who he is. A competitive recruiter he isn't and will never be.

giphy.gif

The endless data-spinning on this thread about Patton getting anywhere near the results that Tad has is hilarious. Tad needs to get better results, obviously, and needs to make some more high-level strategic adjustments, as has already been mentioned by other posts. But to call for his head right now has the feeling of the constant BS about starting an unproven freshman QB just because we are sick of the weaknesses of our senior QB1 (Sefo and Steven in their respective years come to mind). The chronological snobbery up in here is palpable.
Anyway, Merry Christmas. And #rollTad, because I think he will.

I'm loving and enjoying the ride so far this year, and I want to see this continue for years to come.

Siewert has been amazing off the bench this year, and along with Bey potentially leaving, I'm super worried about his departure next year.

The void of another starting front court player worries me. .I think the pressure will be on Dombek to step into the rotation and possibly even start, and I'm not sure he's ready.

I was hoping we would get lucky and land Eason, but now I wonder if Tad will look for a Grad Transfer that's battle ready. There would be some big men chomping at the big to play with MW. We need to keep the momentum going baby!

I'm loving and enjoying the ride so far this year, and I want to see this continue for years to come.

Siewert has been amazing off the bench this year, and along with Bey potentially leaving, I'm super worried about his departure next year.

The void of another starting front court player worries me. .I think the pressure will be on Dombek to step into the rotation and possibly even start, and I'm not sure he's ready.

I was hoping we would get lucky and land Eason, but now I wonder if Tad will look for a Grad Transfer that's battle ready. There would be some big men chomping at the big to play with MW. We need to keep the momentum going baby!
Before the season, I assumed Bey was gone. I saw draft projections in the teens. But based on this season, he’s ready defensively for the NBA, but his offensive game has regressed I hope he stays for his sake. (And ours).

It would be shocking to me if Bey or Kin returned next season. I'm following recruiting under the assumption that next season will need to replace them along with Siewert and Gatling.

It would be shocking to me if Bey or Kin returned next season. I'm following recruiting under the assumption that next season will need to replace them along with Siewert and Gatling.
For real you're assuming Kin is gone? That wasn't even on my radar.

Back