What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle

I don't agree. I think any of the three candidates would have been given the task of taking the momentum that has been generated and build on it. I think the expectation for next years' team remains pretty much the same as it was before Bzdelik left. This is a team that is knocking on the door of the big dance. I think anything less than a deep run in the NIT would be a disappointment next year.

prepare to be disappointed

Was Boyle the first assistant at Witchita State, and was he given any consideration to be HC when Turgeon went to aTm?

**** this ****...i quit im done with cu basketball... and im pretty close to being done with cu football... seriously bohn... throw your self off a cliff this-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh....

this is why people do not take the Internets seriously.

His team beat the living hell out of CSU this year. We couldn't manage that. I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Frankly, I'm surprised at the ire being displayed here. When the guy is a finalist, he has a legitimate shot at getting the job. I suspect all three guys had good interviews and it was a very difficult decision to make. I applaud Mike Bohn for paring the field down to three, and making a decision in a reasonably short period of time.

The worst that can happen is that he sucks, which puts us right back to where we were a year ago. The situation with the football team is far more dire.

looking from the outside in, it does smell a bit like a cheap stunt. for one thing, they get him for bargain money. so that means they keep the legislators and the academics happy in the short run. for another, he's a known commodity among coloradoans so many are not going to immediately jump down bohn's throat for hiring a local boy done good.

all that said, maybe he can coach. we'll see, i guess. if they had hired a guy with similar credentials who wasn't known in colorado, many, many more heads would be popping off at this news.

i dunno. it is hard for me to care about men's bb. they've sucked so hard for so long... and i knew in my gut bzzz was going to bail. nothing ever goes right for very long with the men's bb team.

maybe boyle will be the difference-maker. i am skeptical, but very hopeful. with a new coach, comes new hope...

Maybe I missed the post - but what type of game does he run? How does our current personnel fit? Are the players on-board? Any attrition expected? Is there any hope of him pulling in a recruit within the coming weeks?

He's the guy, so no use bitching about that. What can we expect from him?

Maybe I missed the post - but what type of game does he run? How does our current personnel fit? Are the players on-board? Any attrition expected? Is there any hope of him pulling in a recruit within the coming weeks?

He's the guy, so no use bitching about that. What can we expect from him?

He runs a 3-guard, up-tempo system. Should be a great fit for our personnel, actually, while being more fun to watch than Bzdelik's Princeton offense.

something like this??

http://ezinearticles.com/?Three-Guard-Penetration-Offense-for-Smaller-Teams&id=484146

This three guard attack is based on good spacing, filling open spots, and penetration. The point and both wings are the positions assumed by the guards. The wings must be wide on the floor and above the top of the key. Positioned just outside each block are the two post players, who are very important to the offense.
Keys to the Three Guard Offense
1. Spacing is needed for this set to be successful. The goals is to keep the center of the floor open for one-on-one penetration by one of the guards. The goal of penetration is to reach the paint with your dribble. Once in the paint good things usually happen. Perimeter players can shoot, dish to a post player or an open teammate on the perimeter spotting up for a shot.
2. Create defensive help. On penetration, the goal is to get a defender other than your man to help. When this happens, an open teammate is available for a pass and shot.
3. Attacking mindset. All five players need an aggressive, scoring mentality in this offense. Penetration can lead to good shots, penetration and pitch opportunities, or fouls on the opponent. an attacking guard can create 6-10 free throw attempts per game.
4. Scoring Opportunities. By putting pressure on the defense in this way, many scoring options are possible. Penetration causes the defense to foul more than usual, adding to the number of free throws attempted. On the second and third penetration, the defense is more likely to break down. Perimeter skills such as shot fakes and creating space are possible at every perimeter position.
Many high school teams face a shortage of big post players. This three guard offense can be your main offense or a change of pace offense. When the defense is foul prone or in foul trouble, this attack can really put the pressure on the opponent. Take a look at this unique offense and make it a part of your offensive arsenal.

No suprise by this hire, i'm not suprised by any of bohn's hires. So, how does a UNC guy recruit against the rest of the Big 12?

BINGO!

I saw UNC play in Greeley this past season, and this is exactly what they did. They were absolutely relentless on D as well. Not quite quite the '40 Minutes of Hell' Mizzou uses, but the Bears played good half court defense. Honestly if their best player doesn't go down right before the Big Sky tourney I think Boyle and the Bears would have been dancing. If he can get his new team to play with the same energy and guts as his UNC teams did, we could be looking at some exciting basketball up in Boulder.

Having said all that, I'm pretty underwhelmed at this hire. McClain and Dunlap where my top 2. The good thing about Boyle is he's been around college hoops a good amount of time, and knows the time and energy that needs to be put on the recruiting trail. Like other posters already said, the question is whether he can recruit Big 12 talent to Boulder.

Nice find, dio.

That was a great summary. And it fits CU. We've actually got a pretty good tradition of guards here the past 20+ years (Jay Humphries, Chauncey Billups, Jamahl Mosley, Donnie Boyce, Marcus Hall, Richard Roby, Cory Higgins, Alec Burks and others). No reason we can't continue that tradition and build on it.

Like other posters already said, the question is whether he can recruit Big 12 talent to Boulder.

Since he played for Kansas and coached at Tennessee and Oregon, he knows very well what big boy talent looks like and how things are done at the upper levels of college basketball. I believe he's a major upgrade from Bzdelik in this department.

Nice find, dio.

That was a great summary. And it fits CU. We've actually got a pretty good tradition of guards here the past 20+ years (Jay Humphries, Chauncey Billups, Jamahl Mosley, Donnie Boyce, Marcus Hall, Richard Roby, Cory Higgins, Alec Burks and others). No reason we can't continue that tradition and build on it.

Ya, Jamahl Mosely is one of the greatest 'guards' to ever play at CU. :smile2:

The system Boyle uses is pretty much tailor made for Burks, Higgins, and Relphorde. Seriously, these guys will thrive next season if they stay(i.e. Burks). Tomlinson will also do well with the floor spread out. He can drive the lane and find an open man. If Sharpe is what everyone around the program says he is then look out. Even Dufault might actually grow a pair under Boyle as well and grab a rebound or two.

Let's just hope Boyle can recruit. :huh:

Since he played for Kansas and coached at Tennessee and Oregon, he knows very well what big boy talent looks like and how things are done at the upper levels of college basketball. I believe he's a major upgrade from Bzdelik in this department.

Ya, that may be true, but now he has to recruit that big boy talent to Boulder. The improved facilities will be huge in this area, and Patton proved that you can do it. Fingers crossed.

Even with this scheme, it seems like we will need a big guy on the defensive end.

Ya, Jamahl Mosely is one of the greatest 'guards' to ever play at CU. :smile2:

The system Boyle uses is pretty much tailor made for Burks, Higgins, and Relphorde. Seriously, these guys will thrive next season if they stay(i.e. Burks). Tomlinson will also do well with the floor spread out. He can drive the lane and find an open man. If Sharpe is what everyone around the program says he is then look out. Even Dufault might actually grow a pair under Boyle as well and grab a rebound or two.

Let's just hope Boyle can recruit. :huh:

Oops. :lol:

Another guy I think will improve a lot is Hornbuckle. Guy's got a good first step and could be a nice scorer from the wing in that offense. Coming with Nate, Horn and Marcus as the 2nd team guards (Levi's in there somewhere also), we should be able to go very deep in the backcourt.

If we're running more, I also think Shane could shine next year. He's got some wheels for a big guy and doesn't seem to get tired. I believe he's going to be a lot more valuable for us next year than people are currently thinking.

We need a couple PF/C types to complement him, though, and I'd like another wing that could play the 3 or 4 (even the 2 in a pinch). With a successful recruiting class, this should be a damn good team that's fun to watch next year.

sorry for my freak out...i dont like the hire... but im willing to give him a full chance

His team beat the living hell out of CSU this year. We couldn't manage that. I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Frankly, I'm surprised at the ire being displayed here. When the guy is a finalist, he has a legitimate shot at getting the job. I suspect all three guys had good interviews and it was a very difficult decision to make. I applaud Mike Bohn for paring the field down to three, and making a decision in a reasonably short period of time.

I'm willing to give Boyle a chance - sure. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded by the hire though. How in the world is this guy's resume better than Dunlap's? How does he even have a better track record than McClain? He is a promising coach, but we had a better option.

I'm sick of Mike Bohn. You say you applaud him for paring the field down? I say bull****. I think he just took the three easiest interviews available. He did not reach out to Bennett, nor did he go after top assistants. He just took three, easy, available, obvious interviews. Also, I don't trust Bohn at all anymore. He is a jayhawk, and this hire reeks of jayhawk family loyalty.

I hope Boyle is a great coach, but for now, I'm upset with Bohn. He did jack **** with the interview process - just like he did with the woman's bball hire. I hope Lappe is great too, but still, Bohn did not do his job in my opinion. He took the easiest interview/hire then too.

Here's how.... McClain did nice things at Wyoming, but Boyle's turnaround of UNC is way more impressive. Way more impressive.

I'm willing to give Boyle a chance - sure. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded by the hire though. How in the world is this guy's resume better than Dunlap's? How does he even have a better track record than McClain? He is a promising coach, but we had a better option.

I'm sick of Mike Bohn. You say you applaud him for paring the field down? I say bull****. I think he just took the three easiest interviews available. He did not reach out to Bennett, nor did he go after top assistants. He just took three, easy, available, obvious interviews. Also, I don't trust Bohn at all anymore. He is a jayhawk, and this hire reeks of jayhawk family loyalty.

I hope Boyle is a great coach, but for now, I'm upset with Bohn. He did jack **** with the interview process - just like he did with the woman's bball hire. I hope Lappe is great too, but still, Bohn did not do his job in my opinion. He took the easiest interview/hire then too.

I can agree with this. The search process under Bohn leaves a lot to be desired. For the five main hires he has made (FB, MBB x 2, WBB x 2), he has interviewed less than 10 people total. That is a major red flag and I actually like Boyle. At some point, pressure needs to be put on Bohn. The fact he has now presided over FIVE major coaching hires and we have yet to see much success out of the first three is beyond ridiculous. It is the path of least resistance and least cost. It also makes it more unlikely in my mind that Hawkins will be fired, no matter how poorly he does on the field. Boyle and Lappe better be very good or else things are going to get even worse.

Back