What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle

:nod: Yup. KU was hanging by a thread in the last minutes of regulation in Boulder a few months back(It wasn't the first time). Aldrich looked like he was about ready to pass out, but they regrouped in OT and pulled it out. Ridiculous levels of talented depth + a big rest + a great coach + A strong will/desire to win will beat out ridiculously overmanned up-tempo at altitude almost every time.

FIFY. And talent + uptempo sure works for Kstate.

Apparently, Boyle traveled to Burk's home to talk to his family. Good move!

Apparently, Boyle traveled to Burk's home to talk to his family. Good move!

Very good move, although I suspect that had Dunlap been hired, he would have done the same thing. McClain wouldn't have had to.

I'm loving Tad so far.

Bring in those recruits and keep the players in the program!

Nik - What are our chances on bringing in some big guys?

We may know something tonight. Ringo supposedly has a couple interviews coming on Scout with 2 brand new Boyle prospects.

fwiw, I think Ringo's going to be getting some great basketball scoop in the coming years. He want to high school at Greeley with Boyle and he went to Metro for college so he has those ins with Lappe. Scout could quickly become the premier hoops board among the premium sites.

Well boyle passed his first test. If he gets two legit big men, we will all forget how to spell Bzdelick or however it is spelled.

I think you're half joking, but I had to look it up UNC's roster anyway. Looks like Boyle got out a bit, but he also had more than a few Colorado kids.

0Emmanuel AddoF/CFreshman6-8215Northfield, Minn./Northfield
2Will FiguresGSenior5-9155Centennial, Colo./Smoky Hill
3Lee HallGSophomore5-8155Denver, Colo./Montbello
4Kevin HanesCFreshman6-10200Monument, Colo./St. Mary's
10Chris KabaFRS Junior6-8185Gary, Ind./Andrean
11Elliott LloydGRS Freshman6-1165Houston, Texas/Klein Forest
12Travess ArmentaGJunior6-0190Longmont, Colo./Longmont
15Tate UnruhGFreshman6-2155Branson, Mo./Branson
20Yahosh BonnerGSenior6-1215Mesa, Ariz./Mountain View
21Hauns BreretonFFreshman6-6205Bartlett, Tenn./Bartlett
22Ben JenkinsF/CSenior6-9240Golden, Colo./Golden
23Mike BedfordG/FFreshman6-4175Plano, Texas/Jesuit Prep
31Dave ArnoldGFreshman6-1200Highlands Ranch, Colo./ThunderRidge
32Devon BeitzelGRS Junior6-1180Lafayette, Colo./Centaurus
33Neal KingmanFRS Junior6-7220Greeley, Colo./Greeley West
34Connor OsborneCFreshman6-9250Littleton, Colo./Columbine
41Mike ProctorF/CSophomore6-8225Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista
44Taylor MontgomeryF/CJunior6-7235Aurora, Colo./Cherry Creek
Head coach: Tad Boyle (fourth season)

Does Tad have a specific area he likes to recruit at? I know Jeff liked the Chicago area.

Hard to detect a pattern from his UNC roster, other than the obvious fact that he was relying more on in-state players there. A couple Texas kids, a couple Arizona kids, plus Minnesota, Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee.... :huh:

FWIW, a lot of his out of state kids at UNC were freshmen or sophs. Looks like he was starting to get their recruiting spread out across the country more...

McClain had all the contacts in Chicago -- it wasn't Bzzz. Bzzz didn't recruit very much.
I don't know about that. McClain certainly had his contacts in Chicago, but I know that Jeff had plenty of contacts as well. He was an assistant at Northwestern for a number of years.

Earlier in this post, someone mentioned:

1) he plays uptempo
2) he focuses on defense and rebounding.

Those two things don't go together.

1) he plays uptempo

Sure they do.

You can play fast and still play great defense and be a great rebounding team.

Just because a team holds opponents in the 60s doesn't mean they're a good defensive team, either.

What matters is efficiency.

How many points do you score per possession? How many points do you give up per defensive possession? How many extra possessions do you create with offensive rebounds? How few extra possessions do you give away by failing to get defensive rebounds?

The pace at which you play is completely outside of those efficiency questions. And "up tempo" is a lot more fun to play and to watch.

1) he plays uptempo

Sure they do.

You can play fast and still play great defense and be a great rebounding team.

Just because a team holds opponents in the 60s doesn't mean they're a good defensive team, either.

What matters is efficiency.

How many points do you score per possession? How many points do you give up per defensive possession? How many extra possessions do you create with offensive rebounds? How few extra possessions do you give away by failing to get defensive rebounds?

The pace at which you play is completely outside of those efficiency questions. And "up tempo" is a lot more fun to play and to watch.

Buffnik knows him some basketball! You can't run the court and fast break unless you get rebounds and steals.

1) he plays uptempo

Nolan Richardson disagrees with you, so do the show time lakers.

Nolan Richardson disagrees with you, so do the show time lakers.

Uptempo DOES require pretty good depth tho. Should be interesting to see if Boyle can get decent depth here.

What would you rather have, a team with a few superstars but limited depth, or a team that goes 10 deep in contributors and runs all game?

10 superstars deep

fifm...

For now, the biggest thing Boyle can do to develop depth is to get guys like Dufault, Hornbuckle, Harris-Tunks and a couple other guys who have shown some flashes of skills to contribute consistently. He's obviously not going to be bringing in a lot of new faces for next year - it's going to be all about his ability to "coach up" the kids he's got there...

fifm...

For now, the biggest thing Boyle can do to develop depth is to get guys like Dufault, Hornbuckle, Harris-Tunks and a couple other guys who have shown some flashes of skills to contribute consistently. He's obviously not going to be bringing in a lot of new faces for next year - it's going to be all about his ability to "coach up" the kids he's got there...
I just have a feeling that he can do that, from what I've seen so far. We'll see.

Back