What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle's Popularity

Temperament for Tad Byole

• Hot -Love him, he built our program from nothing!

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Warm - solid coach but needs to go deeper in March.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • Moderate - he's okay, solid recruiting constantly underperforming.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Cold - glad we had him, but wish we moved on a few years ago...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ice Cold - Fire him tomorrow!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HawaiiBUFF

Club Member
Club Member
Hi all, I am posting this poll because of a constant argument I have with a few alumni friends. I personally love Tad and everything he has done for us. That includes the 6 March Madness Showings, PAC-12 Championship & recruiting. I think he does underperform at times, but would love to see him be our coach until his retirement. My friends think the polar opposite blame every loss on Tad & want him fired. I wanted to see what everyone else thoughts were?

Hi all, I am posting this poll because of a constant argument I have with a few alumni friends. I personally love Tad and everything he has done for us. That includes the 6 March Madness Showings, PAC-12 Championship & recruiting. I think he does underperform at times, but would love to see him be our coach until his retirement. My friends think the polar opposite blame every loss on Tad & want him fired. I wanted to see what everyone else thoughts were?
you need smarter friends.

for me, the arguments that CU may not realistically be able to find a better coach than Boyle carry a lot of weight. He should stay.

I'm fairly ignorant wrt the technical aspects of basketball compared to many posters on here, but my top complaint about Boyle is that I perceive (trying really hard to own the possibility I could be dead wrong) is that he doesn't coach X's and O's very much. It seems, to my simple and uneducated mind, that the players aren't taught plays that create good inbounds strategy, getting guys open for good shots, getting in position to defend and rebound, etc... I've questioned before what CU works on during practice and got answers that only partially explained it to me. but again, my opinion is that of a casual fan who likes to get his buzz on and cheer for his favorite teams, not of someone who played, or even "studied", the game at a high level.

he does seem to recruit well and I perceive players like playing for him (i.e. transfers are minimal compared to other P5 programs). He should stay, but I'm not advocating for CU putting up a statue.

I couldn't find a selection in the poll options that fit this.

Is one of your friends buffs233 by chance? Because he's a moron.

Also, want to point out one run in the tourney is not worth it. Oregon State made the Elite 8 last year because they got hot and are 3-15 this year. Tourney runs aren't the end all be all.

I’ll also admit I’m biased as all hell. I remember going to games in college where I was 10% of the student section. Hell, there was a Xmas break game against UNC when I saw one of my friends on the other side of the court and we coordinated where we were going after the game while the game was going on. Now the program actually has some support. And Tad got the benefit of Bzzz demanding the practice facility in his contract as well as inheriting Burks and Higgins. But the simple fact is the man is the most successful coach in my lifetime and it’s not even close. Is he perfect? God no. But man… did we learn nothing from Gary Barnett?

CU has never had a basketball coach as good as Tad Boyle, and probably never will again. He’s the hoops equivalent of Bill McCartney. He’s the standard by which all other CU basketball coaches are judged.

Your friends sound like they are the type of people that get mad when we lose road games, while not understanding in conference play the road team loses 2/3rd's of the time.

I used to pull out all the stats about Boyle and line them up and that was years a couple of tourney births and a win last year ago.

He's the best basketball coach we've ever had. He has more:
- Tourney trips
- Tourney wins
- 20 win seasons
- Conference championships
Than the 6 coaches had in the 43 years before he arrived. He's also continued to do it under RG with less support than he had from Mike Bohn.

It is also worth noting he has had 1 losing season.
We average an NCAA tourney appearance every other year under Boyle.

Finally, if you are friends with Jimmy Wood, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
I put warm. I really enjoy Tadball and I think he is a perfect fit for the university.

Do I think the Buffs become a legitimate tourney threat any time soon? No.
Always too young, too inconsistent, no outside shooting, lose games they should win, a league play slump, not enough talent....take your pick. Through the years it has been any of those reasons. Just never quite enough to get over the hump.

That being said, I am content to have Tad coach the team for as long as he wants to coach. He brings a fun, competitive brand to the team and he is one of the best coaches we have in any sport the Buffs participate in. The big dance appearances are the dessert to the consistently enjoyable meals.

I chose warm. Just because “solid -but needs to go deeper in March” deserves a “that’s what she said!” joke.

hawaiibuff needs to read the #firetad thread and get new friends.

I voted warm, and it'll stay there until he gets to the Sweet 16. But I honestly love the guy and what he's done here. The dude is a damn good hoops coach that has done so much for the game in Boulder and around the state. I hope he stays for a long long time.

With this administration, I find it incredibly unlikely that we could find a replacement that is even half as competent as Tad is. We need him to stick around for a while. We simply are not in a position where we have the time and resources to focus on the basketball program. It’s all football now, and for the foreseeable future.

@Goose will hunt down, kidnap, lock in his basement, and sadistically torture your friends until they wish they were allowed to die. Only then will he feed them a Happy Meal, promising they'll be released, before laughing, heading back up the stairs, turning off the lights, locking the door, and leaving them to slowly rot until the Swan forces him to dispose of their bodies in Sloan Lake.
Fixed.

Goose has rage. Goose loves vengeance. No one said he's the smartest criminal in the world.

But the Mexican cartels, who force a stand off with the Mexican army when one of their head honchos gets arrested, are?

i love Tad and he has made me spoiled, because now i want more

i feel as though the main knock against him is his stubbornness — D and rebounding are the foundation but lowering turnovers and having a more innovating high motion offense is what will take him to the next level

someone mentioned this in the Oregon game thread, but i could see Tomlinson being the guy if he has a Kim English like trajectory and does damage as a mid major head coach around the time Tad retires

lastly, i see no good excuse for the lack of investment in basketball by the AD, it’s bull****

i love Tad and he has made me spoiled, because now i want more

i feel as though the main knock against him is his stubbornness — D and rebounding are the foundation but lowering turnovers and having a more innovating high motion offense is what will take him to the next level

someone mentioned this in the Oregon game thread, but i could see Tomlinson being the guy if he has a Kim English like trajectory and does damage as a mid major head coach around the time Tad retires

lastly, i see no good excuse for the lack of investment in basketball by the AD, it’s bull****
I think the guy to follow Tad is coaching in Laramie right now.

Back