What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad M. F'ing Boyle

For all the horrible luck we’ve had with football coaches, like historically bad luck, Tad sure has been a miracle in the polar opposite direction.

Tad is basketballs Bill McCartney
It just takes the right guy at the right time. It is possible to recruit 4/5 star athletes to Boulder.

Well, you can’t argue that he hasn’t built a winning program from the beginning.
Of course, but he’s clearly upped CU’s recruiting. Tad could’ve coasted along for another decade with similar results—20 win seasons and a tournament invite half the time. His goals have always been much higher. I tend to think that the ability to pay kids over-the-table is what made the difference.

Of course, but he’s clearly upped CU’s recruiting. Tad could’ve coasted along for another decade with similar results—20 win seasons and a tournament invite half the time. His goals have always been much higher. I tend to think that the ability to pay kids over-the-table is what made the difference.
I saw something where the Buffs average paying about $115,000 per player in basketball. I don’t know if that is a one time thing or per year. That gives me some hope for football.

I saw something where the Buffs average paying about $115,000 per player in basketball. I don’t know if that is a one time thing or per year. That gives me some hope for football.
curious, who is paying this?

I have zero issues with it, but curious who is writing the check. I just don't see that level of support for the program, particularly when you start to compare to other schools where there is a completely different view on basketball (grew up with Maryland basketball).

I have zero issues with it, but curious who is writing the check. I just don't see that level of support for the program, particularly when you start to compare to other schools where there is a completely different view on basketball (grew up with Maryland basketball).
I have zero clue. I’m sure there are significant donors who support basketball. If that number is correct, I think we are middle of the pack in the Pac.

I have zero clue. I’m sure there are significant donors who support basketball. If that number is correct, I think we are middle of the pack in the Pac.

I am guessing its some kind of corporate sponsorship. Would be a decent ROI I would think to throw a few bucks at a kid to get a good team, then your ads get more eyes on them. But maybe I am naive, but I cannot see that paying big money for CU basketball when it turns into an arms race. But I could see that paying a kid enough to not "slum" it in college maybe all Tad needs to get someone to join the team.

Another assumption, but the kids that are just going wherever the paycheck is bigger in college are likely not the type of player Tad is trying to recruit. He was struggling when he wasn't paying anything, but now he can give a "living wage" and the sales pitch that he can produce NBA talent (real money), it possibly leveled the playing field.

I just worry when the places that have nothing better to do start throwing stupid money at college kids. But that is a whole other conversation more prevalent in football.

Wonder why those goals are what they are, does Kansas have a good basketball program or something? ;)

????? Would be a good ROI for the coach. Throw a couple hundred thousand total for your players and make it up in bonuses and raises.

This past season, Boyle earned $290,000 in incentive bonuses, but that exact same performance next season would net $240,000, with the win-total incentives beginning at 19 regular season wins.

TAD BOYLE, COLORADO
His salary for 2021-2022 was $2.425 million.Mar 16, 2022

You may want to tap the breaks before that last sentence. I love Tad, but Mac won a national title.
and HCBM had 3 conference champs in 12 years vs Boyle's one.

I love the CU hoops team. I really like Boyle. I'm super stoked about the recruiting class. Hell, I'm super stoked about this year.

And, before we build statues or proceed with his canonisation, I want to see Boyle average more than one conference championship every 12 years. That record is exactly the mathematical "average" in a conference of 12 members.

and HCBM had 3 conference champs in 12 years vs Boyle's one.

I love the CU hoops team. I really like Boyle. I'm super stoked about the recruiting class. Hell, I'm super stoked about this year.

And, before we build statues or proceed with his canonisation, I want to see Boyle average more than one conference championship every 12 years. That record is exactly the mathematical "average" in a conference of 12 members.
It's not the mathematical average because program resources are not equal. Honestly, Tad should never finish higher than 6th in the conference with the situation compared to peers and it's amazing he has only had 1 losing season (the frustrating CBI year of which we will not speak again).

I love Tad, he is recruiting at all time dopamine levels.
But why do all our recruits seem lanky as heck? Can't we land some of those kind of guys that AZ's Lloyd gets?

• Haha
Reactions: '99
I love Tad, he is recruiting at all time dopamine levels.
But why do all our recruits seem lanky as heck? Can't we land some of those kind of guys that AZ's Lloyd gets?
Yeah, Tad should be going for the Tractor Traylor's of the basketball world. You do realize nearly all high-end basketball recruits are lanky? Here are the massive, muscle-bound studs Lloyd has landed the last 2 years.

6'1" 180 lbs
7'0" 215 lbs
6'8" 180 lbs
6'10" 200 lbs
6'4" 185 lbs

It's not the mathematical average because program resources are not equal. Honestly, Tad should never finish higher than 6th in the conference with the situation compared to peers and it's amazing he has only had 1 losing season (the frustrating CBI year of which we will not speak again).
This is also a fair take.

Two immediate thoughts:
1. As a fan, I'm not willing to scale my expectations of team performance (or coaching performance) below that of competing for the conference. If CU honestly doesn't have the resources to compete with AU, et.al. in hoops, then we really should change conferences (I said the same thing about VT football and Clemson).
2. I think my average is one reasonable way of analyzing Boyle's performance. I think your weighted average based on program funding is also reasonable. Few topics of any complexity can be well understood by a single metric.

Two immediate thoughts:
1. As a fan, I'm not willing to scale my expectations of team performance (or coaching performance) below that of competing for the conference. If CU honestly doesn't have the resources to compete with AU, et.al. in hoops, then we really should change conferences (I said the same thing about VT football and Clemson).
2. I think my average is one reasonable way of analyzing Boyle's performance. I think your weighted average based on program funding is also reasonable. Few topics of any complexity can be well understood by a single metric.
I don't think you really agree with yourself here. Do you really, honestly believe that a Boston College fan should feel their coach is underperforming if the program isn't winning the ACC as often as North Carolina? I can't imagine that you do.

I don't think you really agree with yourself here. Do you really, honestly believe that a Boston College fan should feel their coach is underperforming if the program isn't winning the ACC as often as North Carolina? I can't imagine that you do.
I feel that if my team can't compete in conference, we should make changes. I think i stated that plainly above.

Given where both programs are today, for BC to compete with UNC, it likely would require over-performance by a coach and finding a diamond-in-the-rough recruit (or two). But if I was a BC fan and honestly didn't think there was a path to being on the same level as conference peers, I'd advocate we make a change.

Seattle ****ing University. Ugh.

Also- you're exactly right with this take. Lowest recruiting budget in the P12.

This. If you have a few minutes in your busy schedules, pick some random MBB schools and peruse the arenas they play in. So many "middling" schools have new and/or updated arenas these days. Tad got the court flipped twice (updated), but let's face it not much has changed to the CEC since I was a ball boy in the early 80s. It's been said around here before, but just imagine what Tad could do with an AD who gave a sh!t about basketball and put a bit more money and marketing behind the program.

Last edited:

Two immediate thoughts:

This is a terrible take. Maybe in 1950 that could have been said as true before modern recruiting, where your talent came locally, so statistically by population you should have similar talent levels, thus making the only real difference being coaching. Note that my knowledge of college basketball 70 years ago may be slightly lacking.

But these days no one is going to say that you are going to relegate yourself to a lower conference, less money, less prestige because you are not winning enough. That is a short term fix since you will start to no longer get the same talent and you will continually fall behind. Plus its a death sentence for fan support. Think if CU went from promoting UCLA, Oregon, Kansas, Texas level schools from where they were in the Big12/Pac12, and started promoting Witicha State, or Creighton (both which they would not dominate) as their premier games. Sure the basketball enthusiasts will continue to show up, but this will not excite the caual fan, thus you are gonna look at half empty arenas constantly.

This. If you have a few minutes in your busy schedules, pick some random MBB schools and peruse the arenas they play in. So many "middling" schools have new and/or updated arenas these days. Tad got the practice facility built, but let's face it not much has changed to the CEC since I was a ball boy in the early 80s. It's been said around here before, but just imagine what Tad could do with an AD who gave a sh!t about basketball and put a bit more money and marketing behind the program.
* Jeff Bzidelik got the practice facility built

and you will continually fall behind. Plus its a death sentence for fan support. Think if CU went from promoting UCLA, Oregon, Kansas, Texas level scho
I guess your comment that I had a terrible take would make sense if I had said those things, but I didn't.

I judge my teams' success chiefly by their performance in conference. Like I said to Nik, if I didn't believe there was a path to competing for the conference, I'd want a change to be made. I don't believe that's the case for CU. I think we can compete in the Pac 12 and I expect the team to do so.

I guess your comment that I had a terrible take would make sense if I had said those things, but I didn't.

I judge my teams' success chiefly by their performance in conference. Like I said to Nik, if I didn't believe there was a path to competing for the conference, I'd want a change to be made. I don't believe that's the case for CU. I think we can compete in the Pac 12 and I expect the team to do so.

That was the case for CU for basically the entire time minus the last few years. Prior to that, the big goal was to have a .500 record after playing a bunch of cupcakes in OOC play.

You may not have thought you said that, but that is exactly what you said.

This. If you have a few minutes in your busy schedules, pick some random MBB schools and peruse the arenas they play in. So many "middling" schools have new and/or updated arenas these days. Tad got the practice facility built, but let's face it not much has changed to the CEC since I was a ball boy in the early 80s. It's been said around here before, but just imagine what Tad could do with an AD who gave a sh!t about basketball and put a bit more money and marketing behind the program.
Bzdelik is responsible for the practice facility. He had it as a condition to be built, for him to come here from AFA in 2007.

I think the only 'major' improvement since then is that the Keg got better sound and video system.

Back