What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad: "my goal, my hope, my dream"

That's all great - and I think what Tad is doing at Colorado is fantastic.

But let's not kid ourselves here. If Bill Self retires in 5 years or so, and Kansas comes calling on Boyle, and offers him a long term contract with a substantial raise (Bill Self is getting $5 million per year, today) Boyle is going to seriously listen. I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised and I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if CU matches that type of offer.

Tad will be a touch too old for Kansas to come calling in 5 years.

He could be our Boeheim.

overly loyal to a pedophile friend/assistant
destructive force in his own conference
objected to his school moving from the defunct Big East into the ACC
horrible graduation rate / APR
currently under investigation for academic fraud

yeah, the guy has won, but geez, I hope not.

Last edited:
overly loyal to a pedophile friend/assistant
destructive force in his own conference
objected to his school moving from the defunct Big East into the ACC
horrible graduation rate / APR
currently under investigation for academic fraud

yeah, the guy has won, but geez, I hope not.

You know what I meant.

You know what I meant.

Not really. Please clarify what you mean. Which of these legendary coaches careers would you most like for Tad replicate at CU?

John Wooden (UCLA)
Dean Smith (UNC)
Bob Knight (Indiana, TT)
Lute Olson (UofA)
Jim Calhoun (UConn)
Adolph Rupp (Kentucky)
Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)
Other?

You know what I meant.

Not really. Please clarify what you mean. Which of these legendary coaches careers would you most like for Tad replicate at CU?

John Wooden (UCLA)
Dean Smith (UNC)
Bob Knight (Indiana, TT)
Lute Olson (UofA)
Jim Calhoun (UConn)
Adolph Rupp (Kentucky)
Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)
Other?

Yes. A long-term coach with consistent success that puts CU on the national stage.

You weren't talking about character or NCAA compliance or grad rates.

fair enough -- I may not have known, but I was in fact about 90% confident that's what flounder really meant. Just, considering the list of coaches that fit 'Nik's criteria who are not complete sleezebags, it's shocking that anyone would choose JB as the subject of said comparison.

fair enough -- I may not have known, but I was in fact about 90% confident that's what flounder really meant. Just, considering the list of coaches that fit 'Nik's criteria who are not complete sleezebags, it's shocking that anyone would choose JB as the subject of said comparison.

Look at the original source.

Lon Kruger is doing some nice things at OU, but I wouldn't consider that to be an elite level job.

Before they hired Kruger, the talking heads on sports radio played up "history and tradition" angle. Tad was mentioned a lot, but I'm not sure whether or not the university ever made contact.

I chuckled at their opinion of the boomers place in the college bball heirarchy.

Kansas is the only job that would worry me and I'm not concerned about that until we survive the opening weekend of the Dance. A lot can change in a few years, for better or worse (we may become a Sweet 16 regular, we may grow stale and miss out on some Dances). I'm just not concerned about Tad going anywhere for at least a few years.

* As a disclaimer, I've seen some very promising program rebuilds lose momentum, so I'll always have a degree of caution there that many others probably don't.

They must have edited out the part where he said, "unless another University offers me a pile of cash."

Neither A&M nor Nebraska are better jobs than Colorado. Nebraska basketball might be one of the worst college basketball jobs out there.

There are plenty of schools that are better than Colorado who have a lot more money to pay. Kansas would seem to be the biggest concern.

If it ever comes down to a bidding war between CU and one of college basketball's elites, I wouldn't favor Colorado.

So it's not "another University". It's "one of basketball's elites" that you're worried about. Well, join the club. The nice thing is that there are only about a half dozen "elites". Of those, Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke would have plenty of other options. UCLA wouldn't be attractive to Tad. So that leaves... Kansas. I'm glad we agree on this subject.

So it's not "another University". It's "one of basketball's elites" that you're worried about. Well, join the club. The nice thing is that there are only about a half dozen "elites". Of those, Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke would have plenty of other options. UCLA wouldn't be attractive to Tad. So that leaves... Kansas. I'm glad we agree on this subject.

And the other side of that coin is that for Tad to become a guy one of those super elites would target, we'd have to see a couple Elite 8s or a Final 4. I think we'd make that trade and then trust RG to make a good coaching hire. Of course, our best case is that Tad has that level of success and then tells all suitors to pound sand.

And the other side of that coin is that for Tad to become a guy one of those super elites would target, we'd have to see a couple Elite 8s or a Final 4. I think we'd make that trade and then trust RG to make a good coaching hire. Of course, our best case is that Tad has that level of success and then tells all suitors to pound sand.

Agreed. Even if people come calling after that, I'm only worried about him jumping for kansas. When you build your own program and turn it into a contender, it's tough to leave for any spot (Just ask brad stevens).

If KU comes calling it means CU is doing better in the regular season and tourney than we've been doing. Unless the AD screws up the next hire, we'd be fine. A lot of people make mishires. Maybe we may not perform at the same level, but we could poach someone good and wouldn't be an relatively unknown like Boyle was at the time we got him.

Let's worry about that when we make a FF.

Along with this, I can confirm that at least two other schools made Tad offers that would knock his current salary out of the water and he turned them down.

Slade, no link, so feel free not to listen to me on this and continue your pointless bitching.

OU and KSU, if I remember. I remember an OU radio guy laughing about us thinking Boyle would turn down the piles of Sooner money to stay at measly old Colorado. *dismissive wank* Enjoy Norman, fool.

Also, he recently purchased the Tad Mahal in Boulder, and his kids are currently engrossed in high school. He's not going anywhere.

Oklahoma has 8 Sweet 16s, 5 Elite 8s, 2 Final 4s & danced 23 times in the last 30 years. Not to mention a current superstar in the NBA. They're not a blue blood, but can you imagine how AB posters would act if CU had that? People are talking Kansas, NBA & which legendary HC Tad may profile as while he has 1 tourney win & 0 regular season conference titles.

This thread is hilarious.

I'm all #RollTad. I'd be pumped if he turned out to be a slightly more consistent Lorenzo Romar.
Boeheim, Dean Smith, Wooden? Someone mentioned John Wooden HA! wow

If KU comes calling it means CU is doing better in the regular season and tourney than we've been doing. Unless the AD screws up the next hire, we'd be fine. A lot of people make mishires. Maybe we may not perform at the same level, but we could poach someone good and wouldn't be an relatively unknown like Boyle was at the time we got him.

Let's worry about that when we make a FF.

If tad would ever leave,
I hope to just promote from in house. But he won't leave.

Oklahoma has 8 Sweet 16s, 5 Elite 8s, 2 Final 4s & danced 23 times in the last 30 years. Not to mention a current superstar in the NBA. They're not a blue blood, but can you imagine how AB posters would act if CU had that? People are talking Kansas, NBA & which legendary HC Tad may profile as while he has 1 tourney win & 0 regular season conference titles.

This thread is hilarious.

I'm all #RollTad. I'd be pumped if he turned out to be a slightly more consistent Lorenzo Romar.
Boeheim, Dean Smith, Wooden? Someone mentioned John Wooden HA! wow

I'll be thrilled if Boyle just makes the NCAA tournament every year and occasionally wins a tourney game. If he does that for the next decade he'll be the best coach in CU basketball history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what tad said to the daily camera:

Howell: Finally, every offseason when there are job openings at other schools, you hear Tad Boyle's name. How committed are you to Colorado?
his Tadness: Let me just say this: I'm going into year five, and every year I've been at Colorado I've had the opportunity to leave Colorado for a head coaching job that pays me more money than I'm making at Colorado, in comparable conferences and in some cases the same conference. I haven't left. It's not just me talking about it. The proof is in the pudding. I love it here, my family loves it here. The only way I can prove those words is to stay here and continue to get it done. That's what I plan on doing, that's what I would like to do. I want to finish my head coaching career as the coach at Colorado. I hope I'm fortunate enough to have that happen.

I also heard from burrito's girlfriend in Canada (you guys have never met her!) that tad is staying.

Why can't we enjoy the good things we have? The guy is already the best CU bb coach in modern history. He says he wants to stay. Could things change? Of course, but he's building something good here and even if he leaves we will be far better positioned to continue to be good than we have in my lifetime. Enjoy the moment.

I also heard from burrito's girlfriend in Canada (you guys have never met her!) that tad is staying.

Why can't we enjoy the good things we have? The guy is already the best CU bb coach in modern history. He says he wants to stay. Could things change? Of course, but he's building something good here and even if he leaves we will be far better positioned to continue to be good than we have in my lifetime. Enjoy the moment.

to be fair, the only person who brought up the potential for Tad to leave was the Colonel. The rest of us are happy and truly enjoying the moment.

OU and KSU, if I remember. I remember an OU radio guy laughing about us thinking Boyle would turn down the piles of Sooner money to stay at measly old Colorado. *dismissive wank* Enjoy Norman, fool.

Also, he recently purchased the Tad Mahal in Boulder, and his kids are currently engrossed in high school. He's not going anywhere.

Uh huh. Had me laughing for about week.

Back