What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tale of the tape Cal

CU's path to victory:

We'll deploy non Bear proof dumpsters near the Cal hotel. They will be filled with cheap hippie hookers, good Boulder beer and weed. Being curious bears, the entire Cal team will get trapped inside the dumpsters. The Colo DOW will then tranquilize and tag the entire team and "relocate" them to a backyard in Kremmling. Cal will have to suit up the trainers, mascot, and the chubbier cheerleaders to play the game. CU still gives up 324 yards on the ground but we win a shoot out 45-42.

CU's path to victory:

We'll deploy non Bear proof dumpsters near the Cal hotel. They will be filled with cheap hippie hookers, good Boulder beer and weed. Being curious bears, the entire Cal team will get trapped inside the dumpsters. The Colo DOW will then tranquilize and tag the entire team and "relocate" them to a backyard in Kremmling. Cal will have to suit up the trainers, mascot, and the chubbier cheerleaders to play the game. CU still gives up 324 yards on the ground but we win a shoot out 45-42.

:lol:

rep

I took a look at Cal a little more closely. They have a big anomaly between yardage and scoring that I was trying to figure out. In conference play that have gone for is on 4th down 26 times...that is just plain weird. CU has gone for it 10 times on 4th down converting 9 of those - so they have stopped 17 drives on downs. This could be a problem for CU because we allow the opponents in PAC12 play to convert 4th down 58% of the time.

This is going to be a tough game...Cal's offense can move the ball, the question is can they score.

I was asking the same question on the year how are they ranked SO high in yardage but so low in points scored. Asked the same question on their board and they didn't say anything about going for it on 4th down but that they were letting teams get out way ahead and then winging it all over the field to catch up resulting in a lot of turnovers. They have been outscored in the 1st quarter 157-41.

Cal's turnover differential is -13 and that is coming of a game where they actually didn't turn the ball over (we are -4) which is compounding the 4th down calls as is the fact they take a lot of penalties, many of them the dumb variety, they are averaging almost 80 yards a game in penalties.

The most glaring stat though is they have been TERRIBLE in the red-zone. They went 5-5 against what has turned out to be a bad northwestern team and Portland. Outside of that they are 8 for 30 in redzone trips.

I was asking the same question on the year how are they ranked SO high in yardage but so low in points scored. Asked the same question on their board and they didn't say anything about going for it on 4th down but that they were letting teams get out way ahead and then winging it all over the field to catch up resulting in a lot of turnovers. They have been outscored in the 1st quarter 157-41.

Cal's turnover differential is -13 and that is coming of a game where they actually didn't turn the ball over (we are -4) which is compounding the 4th down calls as is the fact they take a lot of penalties, many of them the dumb variety, they are averaging almost 80 yards a game in penalties.

The most glaring stat though is they have been TERRIBLE in the red-zone. They went 5-5 against what has turned out to be a bad northwestern team and Portland. Outside of that they are 8 for 30 in redzone trips.

I only looked at the conference stats ( I think they give a better picture). They certainly fumble a lot. They have lost the ball 6 times in the Red Zone, 4 on fumbles. Throwing it has not caused the turnovers, it is the fumbles. They have given it up on downs 5 times in the red zone. I think against CU they will be kicking it on 4th down in the Red Zone because they will probably still be within striking distance (if not ahead).

Their offense is what scares me, if they score 35 points it could be a long day for CU. Both defenses are bad but they can move the ball on offense. I think their coaching staff will have them focused because they know it is one of their few chances at a win.

I only looked at the conference stats ( I think they give a better picture). They certainly fumble a lot. They have lost the ball 6 times in the Red Zone, 4 on fumbles. Throwing it has not caused the turnovers, it is the fumbles. They have given it up on downs 5 times in the red zone. I think against CU they will be kicking it on 4th down in the Red Zone because they will probably still be within striking distance (if not ahead).

Their offense is what scares me, if they score 35 points it could be a long day for CU. Both defenses are bad but they can move the ball on offense. I think their coaching staff will have them focused because they know it is one of their few chances at a win.

Best case is we jump out early and get them into the cycle they have fallen into so many times before, get them thinking, "OH No we have seen this video before."

Most of our fumbles have come in two games if I recall-then we just stopped running. These were almost all goal line fumbles. We've been more successful running in the last couple of games. Of course, we often run our fastest and smallest runner (Khalfani) right up the gut for a 1 yard gain. We also occasionally pitch it outside or throw a quick ball to our other burner (Bigelow) but only when a linebacker is keyed on him. We like to make sure he gets popped right after the ball gets to him-builds character.

As Absinthe has noted, we always play catch up so the passing yards are a bit skewed. Our starting QB plays the whole game too. We also go for it A LOT on 4th - it's better than giving our special teams or defense more time on the field. Speaking of special teams, all you need to do is run left, then right and left again before ultimately deciding to head down field on us. Instant touchdown if you want one. You're welcome. For some reason, we don't like field goals that much-unless the game is decided already and we just want to pad stats with some scoring. Look for a fake FG or punt too. We succeed more than not with trick plays. Why? See my comments on our defense and playing catch up all the time.

Lastly, we like penalties. Bears are stubborn. What better way to show your disdain for the game rules than to commit as many infractions as possible on the field of play? Just throw to P Rich 200 times. What he doesn't catch will be PI anyway. Again, you're welcome.

Back