What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Talent Disparity?

In the last couple years we've lost due to the other team having that one player who is so much better than anyone we have. Shaq Richardson, Hundley, Brandon cook, AZ had one I can't remember who killed us. We are close but need some difference makers. I'm not talking about the elite teams in our conference but even the middle ones have that difference maker we haven't seen since Richardson.

Sefo is what he is, serviceable but chokes when the pressure arrives. The Oline is just embarrassing. If you weigh close to 300 pounds, how the hell do you keep getting steamrolled? Doesn't your bulk help at all? A terrible Oline and QB spell another losing season.

I think that strategy is actually one of Mac's biggest failings so far. By recruiting under the radar kids who may not be as talented, but with frames to grow into good players when they become upper classmen results in a team with no depth. When guys get hurt, you're forced to play young guys who just aren't ready. If instead you bring in talented kids, then when you're forced to play them due to injury they may make young player mistakes, but they are also able to make plays that lesser talent can't.

There's still a noticeable talent gap IMO.

Do you think recruiting "under the radar" kids is his strategy? Really? Its not a strategy he has no choice. You dont think he wants the top 4/5 star kids? We have been a bad football team for 10 years of losing records, your so called "Talented" kids don't want to come play here, they want to go someplace to win. I didn't think this until recently, but I think he should get props for finding kids that can compete, and can keep up with the "Talented" kids. After this weekend we are only a couple players (and coaches) away from this team breaking out to really win games in the Pac12. IMO.

When talented teams let loose at the end of a close or close-ish game, the gap becomes apparent. Game plans open up in the second half of the fourth quarter. That's when talent takes over, and is why we give up games late. Fatigue and depth are part of it, but more so is when the opponent's coach gives their entire team the swing away sign.

After this weekend we are only a couple players (and coaches) away from this team breaking out to really win games in the Pac12. IMO.
Totally agree. The main place we need a play maker is at Q. A couple badasses on the front 7 would really help.

Do you think recruiting "under the radar" kids is his strategy? Really? Its not a strategy he has no choice. You dont think he wants the top 4/5 star kids? We have been a bad football team for 10 years of losing records, your so called "Talented" kids don't want to come play here, they want to go someplace to win. I didn't think this until recently, but I think he should get props for finding kids that can compete, and can keep up with the "Talented" kids. After this weekend we are only a couple players (and coaches) away from this team breaking out to really win games in the Pac12. IMO.
Yes, I believe it's a strategy and yes, it is perhaps by necessity. Mac apparently decided he couldn't regularly compete with Pac12 teams for talent so they've chosen instead to target projects with FCS offers in the hopes that they can grow into productive players after they've been in the program for 3-4 years. I think it's a bad strategy because your depth is not ready to play if needed.

The recent recruiting success in Florida after Leavitt and Tumpkin came on board shows me is not impossible to recruit talented kids here with the right staff.

When I talk about this strategy being by necessity, I think it has more to do with the relative strengths (and weaknesses) of the staff Mac is working with as opposed to our record.

Most everyone keeps getting on the Oline... They have their issues but I would not put this on them. We ran the ball well enough to win, and sefo had enough time to make the throws. Problems are - players not fighting for the ball, and really poor decisions by Sefo (at key times), couple of bad [play calls once again at key times.

Most everyone keeps getting on the Oline... They have their issues but I would not put this on them. We ran the ball well enough to win, and sefo had enough time to make the throws. Problems are - players not fighting for the ball, and really poor decisions by Sefo (at key times), couple of bad [play calls once again at key times.
The OL played quite well Saturday. Even the TV announcers noticed how well the OL performed when we ran the ball. They went crazy yelling about the fact we didn't run the ball when it was working so well. A good coach knows the limitations of his team and calls the plays accordingly.

For those saying we don't have the playmaking talent/speed on offense, you are WAY off base. Our WRs and RBs have Pac 12 speed. We did NOT have this under Embree and Mac's first two seasons minus Richardson. Lee, Ross, Fields, Bobo are all Pac 12 speed players. We are getting more in Huntley and Julmisse. We lack across the board OL talent right now and a QB with the IT factor that winners have at Power 5 level. Sefo is limited. He plays well, but consistently misses the throws when we can dagger a team. It showed with us up by 3 and chance to go up two scores and he is beating himself up on the sidelines.

On defense, the JUCOs really have helped fill gaping holes. Our main issue is at ILB. We are too slow and not big enough here. I saw some things from Watanbe I am excited about. Gamboa has shown he can play against smaller level schools but not Pac 12. Our secondary has two NFL talent guys in Awuzie and TT. Crawley is similar to Henderson, nothing flashy and gets beat. We are not good on the other side.

We still have a lack of talent compared to the other schools, but we play teams close because we have SOME very good talent at certain positions. Awuzie and TT keep our Defense from looking atrocious at times. They cover a TON of ground. On offense, we need Sefo to either take a monumental leap in his last year or to have Montez put on the weight and force the coaches to sit a 4th year starter because he is truly that much better. I think our OL is going to be solid next year. It is showing signs of consistency and better protection.

For those saying we don't have the playmaking talent/speed on offense, you are WAY off base. Our WRs and RBs have Pac 12 speed. We did NOT have this under Embree and Mac's first two seasons minus Richardson. Lee, Ross, Fields, Bobo are all Pac 12 speed players. We are getting more in Huntley and Julmisse. We lack across the board OL talent right now and a QB with the IT factor that winners have at Power 5 level. Sefo is limited. He plays well, but consistently misses the throws when we can dagger a team. It showed with us up by 3 and chance to go up two scores and he is beating himself up on the sidelines.

On defense, the JUCOs really have helped fill gaping holes. Our main issue is at ILB. We are too slow and not big enough here. I saw some things from Watanbe I am excited about. Gamboa has shown he can play against smaller level schools but not Pac 12. Our secondary has two NFL talent guys in Awuzie and TT. Crawley is similar to Henderson, nothing flashy and gets beat. We are not good on the other side.

We still have a lack of talent compared to the other schools, but we play teams close because we have SOME very good talent at certain positions. Awuzie and TT keep our Defense from looking atrocious at times. They cover a TON of ground. On offense, we need Sefo to either take a monumental leap in his last year or to have Montez put on the weight and force the coaches to sit a 4th year starter because he is truly that much better. I think our OL is going to be solid next year. It is showing signs of consistency and better protection.

Yes, I believe it's a strategy and yes, it is perhaps by necessity. Mac apparently decided he couldn't regularly compete with Pac12 teams for talent so they've chosen instead to target projects with FCS offers in the hopes that they can grow into productive players after they've been in the program for 3-4 years. I think it's a bad strategy because your depth is not ready to play if needed.

The recent recruiting success in Florida after Leavitt and Tumpkin came on board shows me is not impossible to recruit talented kids here with the right staff.

When I talk about this strategy being by necessity, I think it has more to do with the relative strengths (and weaknesses) of the staff Mac is working with as opposed to our record.

I see what you are saying, IMO I believe its more out of necessity, then calculated strategy. With the lack of wins and the coaching issues we have had over the last 10 years I believe keeps the better talent from coming here. I think the strategy is/was finding these kids with FCS offers that are capable of competing at the Pac12 level. I also think Saturday (and past couple weeks) proves a little bit that he has done that, with moderate success. With the recent success in FL players is attributed to both the better coaches, better facilities, but also these kids see we are close to pulling out of this bull**** we have been in for so long.
I am not saying he is a recruiting machine by any stretch of the imagination. Considering what he had to work with when he got here, he is making us competitive, he has these kids playing hard, he has filled the gaps at some positions. I think we are closer then we have been in 10 years from turning this around.

I don't think anyone has really been on topic in this thread, what a surprise. Everyone is spouting the same negative narratives as every other thread here (lack of QB, coaches, recruiting). Maybe it has to do with the title and no one reading the OP.

What I will say is that I think it is coaching that is keeping us in these games. I give a lot of credit to the coaches. We are staying in these games against good to great competition because of coaching, heart, and effort. All of that comes back to the coaches. Whether it is getting the guys in the program that won't quit or something happening during practice, it is impressive how this team hangs in there and keeps fighting.

I do think that we have inferior talent at this point as has been discussed ad nauseam. However, I think progress is being made to reduce that gap. We have a lot of competent players now starting that I think could hang on most teams in the PAC-12. We have a couple of players that I think would start on a number of PAC-12 teams. However, we don't have it at the QB position which would be most impactful in covering our other weaknesses. I think Sefo would be a great backup QB, its just unfortunate that he is our starter.

Therefore, the thing that is making us competitive is not the talent that we have making plays that other people couldn't, it is the coaches putting players into a position where all they have to do is be average. Yes we are not able to close out games but I think a lot of that comes down to the players. When the situation gets heightened the coaches have less impact on the game IMO. At the end of the day, we need someone to go above and beyond and make that play that someone else could not. We do not have many, if any, of those players. I think back to Perkins first touchdown. The defense played it well. Not perfectly by any means, but there were players in the position to make the play. That is good coaching. The problem is, Perkins made a couple crazy cuts to open up lanes that weren't previously there and next thing you know he is in the endzone.

Our coaches are doing a great job putting players in position to succeed, our players just aren't quite there to be able to take advantage of it. At some positions, like QB we don't need a world beater, just someone that can consistently hit players in stride who are open. We don't need to be throwing guys open, they are open and often the passes are there for the taking. We just need better execution from the Jims and the Joes. If we had a couple game changing PAC-12 players which would be impactful on any PAC-12 team, we would be seeing a much different record and season projection.

So while the talent is getting to acceptable, it is the coaches keeping us in these games until we can get more bodies to help our depth, and more game-changing players. I, for one, commend them on the job they have done. And yes, this falls on their laps so it's hard to straight out say they are doing a great job across the board, but if we were recruiting in the middle of the PAC-12 with the coaches that we have, I have no doubt we would exceed those rankings on the field.

HCMM has been closing the gap by loading up our roster with high 2*-mid 3* guys. He loads a roster with those kinds of kids and now he has a foundation of guys that he picked because of their character and their work ethic. That kind of foundation is one built for long term success, and you can see he is now reaching out to the high 3*-mid 4* guys and is starting to gain traction there. Think that has been the strategy all along. Close the talent gap to the point where coaching can win you some games, then bring in the kind of talent that can win games on its own.

Its a slow process but I think the gap IS closing. Just not sure if its fast enough.

Back