What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Talk of a Division IV? No matter what, current structure must change

Ideally, we'd have odd-numbered conference memberships.

That way, everyone would play a balanced home/away schedule for conference play.

Won't happen, though, due to conference championship games and no interest of going to a 14-game regular season.

I still say the best approach would be if D1 had 4 16-team conferences, each divided into 4 pods.

3 games against your pod
6 games against the other 3 pods (2 against each so everyone plays everyone else at least twice in a 4-year period)
3 non-conference games (1 each against each of the 3 other conferences)

3-Round Conference playoffs: Winners of each pod, plus 2 wildcards (highest ranked 2 teams get byes)

3-Round National Playoffs: Winners of each conference, plus 2 wildcards (highest ranked 2 teams get byes)

Would take some shuffling and would take some getting used to. Might feel a bit too NFL-ish in the beginning. But the money would be monstrous.

Ideally, we'd have odd-numbered conference memberships.

That way, everyone would play a balanced home/away schedule for conference play.

Won't happen, though, due to conference championship games and no interest of going to a 14-game regular season.

I still say the best approach would be if D1 had 4 16-team conferences, each divided into 4 pods.

3 games against your pod
6 games against the other 3 pods (2 against each so everyone plays everyone else at least twice in a 4-year period)
3 non-conference games (1 each against each of the 3 other conferences)

3-Round Conference playoffs: Winners of each pod, plus 2 wildcards (highest ranked 2 teams get byes)

3-Round National Playoffs: Winners of each conference, plus 2 wildcards (highest ranked 2 teams get byes)

Would take some shuffling and would take some getting used to. Might feel a bit too NFL-ish in the beginning. But the money would be monstrous.

Not a bad setup, but it won't work because it doesn't account for Notre Dame.

I hate nik's plan. It would suck for CU. There's no way a pod system would benefit CU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate nik's plan. It would suck for CU. There's no way a pod system would benefit CU.

You are right about this. CU because of geographic location is far more likely than most schools to get the short end in a pod system. We probably lose our regular games in S. Cal. and end up with lousy places like Texas instead.

I am also not a fan in any way of turning college football into an NFL style playoff. I can deal with the and 1 playoff with 4 teams but I hate the idea of an 8 team or bigger playoff. Part of this is because under the current system any individual game can knock you out, every game thus matters.

College football is unique in that it tries to have a champion that was the best team over the entire season, not just the one that did okay and got hot at the end. Wild card teams in playoffs are by definition teams that weren't good enough to win their division or league.

You are right about this. CU because of geographic location is far more likely than most schools to get the short end in a pod system. We probably lose our regular games in S. Cal. and end up with lousy places like Texas instead.

I am also not a fan in any way of turning college football into an NFL style playoff. I can deal with the and 1 playoff with 4 teams but I hate the idea of an 8 team or bigger playoff. Part of this is because under the current system any individual game can knock you out, every game thus matters.

College football is unique in that it tries to have a champion that was the best team over the entire season, not just the one that did okay and got hot at the end. Wild card teams in playoffs are by definition teams that weren't good enough to win their division or league.
I'm that way as well, as John Saunders referred to the "old system," the playoffs begin the first week of the year. Yeah, sure there's some exceptions to it but there's still a very small margin error in the new system. It's not like the NBA or NHL, where it's who is hot in March/April/June.

Love the playoffs where Bama can get eliminated by LSU then play for the MNC anyway. It's a popularity contest in a lot of years.

I wouldn't worry about a pod happening. The Pac-12 only seems to have interest in becoming a Pac-16 if that expansion includes Oklahoma and Texas. If that ever happens, the political power will be with the old Pac-8 being the "West" and then CU, UA, ASU, and UU joining OU, UT and 2 others in the "East". As much as that would be a ratings and financial juggernaut, I don't want to see it.

Maybe if we can hold off enough years we'll see the increased western population increase that would justify expansion through SDSU, Boise, UNLV and New Mexico (if expansion had to happen). Probably a way to work that out with unequal sharing for a period of time with them. And with that, I think the split would remain "North" and "South" with Utah going to the North with Boise. If pods happened within that, CU would be with UA, ASU and UNM. I think I could be good with that circa 2025. We'd get 2 games against each of the other pods, so there would be 1-3 trips to California every year. I don't see pods happening, but if they did then this setup would be pretty good for CU.

P.S. As a basketball fan, I'd really love that Pac-16. Stronger for hoops than for football, though.

Maybe if we can hold off enough years we'll see the increased western population increase that would justify expansion through SDSU, Boise, UNLV and New Mexico (if expansion had to happen). Probably a way to work that out with unequal sharing for a period of time with them. And with that, I think the split would remain "North" and "South" with Utah going to the North with Boise. If pods happened within that, CU would be with UA, ASU and UNM. I think I could be good with that circa 2025. We'd get 2 games against each of the other pods, so there would be 1-3 trips to California every year. I don't see pods happening, but if they did then this setup would be pretty good for CU.

Quite possibly the worst post I have ever read

From phone

Honestly, ANY change from the current system will hurt CU. We are in the perfect position now. I'm not interested in conference expansion at all.

Quite possibly the worst post I have ever read

From phone

The only constant is change. The Pac-12 as it exists in 2014 will not be the Pac-12 that exists forever.

Two of the main possibilities are: eastern expansion; and, expansion through growth of the west.

It's hard for me to imagine, after what we have seen and will continue to see, that this thing is going to stabilize for the long-term.

Back