What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Talked to a big time LSU fan about Les Miles today

I don't know how Miles would do at CU. I could be wrong here - and maybe this is deserving of its own thread - but it seems you close the talent gap with offense. Most of the strong defensive teams recruit very well. Let's be honest, I don't see any top recruiting classes at CU unless we start winning games (lots of them), or we start cheating.

I believe you missed the point. People here bitching about me cheering for Bama, UM, and ISU along with CU is not going to make me stop cheering for those teams so it's really pointless to keep ragging on me for it.

True but it also doesn't stop me pointing out what a douche nozzle you are for doing so.

I believe you missed the point. People here bitching about me cheering for Bama, UM, and ISU along with CU is not going to make me stop cheering for those teams so it's really pointless to keep ragging on me for it.
Really???? :ban:

dont forget Lester started the turn-around at Okie State that Mike "I'm a Man" Gundy has continued after Bob Simmons burned the outhouse of a program down when he was there....

i haven't read the entire thread but i have relatives that are Ok State donors and they weren't exactly crushed when Miles left. i know some are fixated on the guy since he's the latest accomplishing Mac assistant.

back to the past is something we need to get over for the program to move forward imo.

to me, Les is like Barry Switzer without the option. fun, wins with talent, weird regional charisma....but at least Switzer had the wishbone. Les eats grass.

I love Switzer, and Miles is the only "big name" out of all the big names that have been discussed that I would like to have.

Okie lite fans were uber butthurt because Miles said he wasn't going anywhere, then bolted after their bowl game. That's the main vein in their hatred towards him -- everything else is the "Yeah, and ...." add-ons tossed in to win an argument. He said he'd stay. He bolted. They hate.

He did turn that Okie lite team into a hard-nosed, tough football squad. They played with attitude. You can see some of that attitude in the lsu teams, and while his d coordinator certainly deserves some kudo's, the entire team seems to take on the personality of the hc. They win a lot of close games and imo, that's a product of toughness, poise, and attitude.

Would he be a good hire if CU could pull it off? I really don't know. I kinda think that for what he's getting paid, and as long as he can handle the pressure of the lsu fan-base AND being in the $ec, he ain't going anywhere.

my Ok State fam weren't butt-hurt, they wanted Gundy and thought Miles had a lot of bad actors on his team. google Prentiss Elliot.

the only way we get Lester is if he goes off the rails at LSU. and, bad as we've been, i don't want to accept that we are taking retreads.

I think a number of the fans wanted Gundy before Miles was hired, iirc.

Oh, and another thing, I think CU was recruiting young mr Elliot. We can file that under "glad he went elsewhere".

Most OSU fans wanted Gundy, but knew he wasn't ready to be a head coach. He had no coordinator experience.

Miles was hired as head coach with the proviso that Gundy would be OC.

Most of the hatred for Miles comes from the fact that he told everyone - including the team - that he wasn't taking the LSU job. OSU was in a bowl game and he told the team in pregame that he was staying at OSU. Then he skipped out on the post game because he was going to LSU.

That be correct slade. He said he'd stay. He bolted. They be mad.

Interesting tho -- I forgot about Gundy being the OC. Even now you can see some of the tough-running attitude in that offense, which looks like another sling-it-all-around style.

LSU has the state of Louisiana on lockdown in large part due to Frank Wilson. That guy can recruit the hell outta New Orleans.

I was a little shocked to hear this guy be so upset with a coach who has led them to so much success. I was also shocked to hear how much they compared him to Saban - like if LSU just pulled their heads out of their asses, they could fire Miles and get another Saban, no problem. Yeah - right. Saban is a one-of-a-kind coach in a one-of-a-kind situation.

I call this "The U syndrome". A rather nasty infectiously viral disorder that spread wildly on saturdays in the fall and deludes the host into thinking that 1. they are the greatest school evar† and that they can 2. string together one great coaching hire after another forever. Because, hey, we are just that great and everyone whose anyone just wants to come here. :lol:

Generally speaking the Schnellenberger-Johnson-Erickson-Davis-Coker run was pretty impressive.

Sadly, The U Syndrome is usually followed by a major downer that lasts twice as long as the actual run did. Fans eventually come to terms with reality and pine for the days when their squad could put up 7 ugly wins let alone a mNC.

†See also, Nebraska, Florida State, et al.

Last edited:
Another entertaining thing about this thread, as well as the others that touch on this subject, is the thought process where 'CU is just one coaching hire away from being great again' (lets go for relevant first). And the belief that Lester actually wants to come here AND would instantly be successful is amusing.

To me this very flawed. LSU, most of the SEC, and probably 2/3 of the schools in America have a culture that values their football programs. CU is not one of those schools. Until that changes it doesn't matter who we hire. I believe the coaching world, like most industries, is suffiecently small enough that most everyone out there in that world knows 'the truth' about CU and wouldn't touch the job with a 10' pole if they were already successful. Only Money can change that. And were not a culture of spending on coaches here lately.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:
Another entertaining thing about this thread, as well as the others that touch on this subject, is the thought process where 'CU is just one coaching hire away from being great again' (lets go for relevant first). And the belief that Lester actually wants to come here AND would instantly be successful is amusing.

To me this very flawed. LSU, most of the SEC, and probably 2/3 of the schools in America have a culture that values their football programs. CU is not one of those schools. Until that changes it doesn't matter who we hire. I believe the coaching world, like most industries, is suffiecently small enough that most everyone out there in that world knows 'the truth' about CU and wouldn't touch the job with a 10' pole if they were already successful. Only Money can change that. And were not a culture of spending on coaches here late.

Just my 2¢
sad but true, this as CU fans is what we are fighting - my first year at CU I asked my friends if they were going to the game that week and they ignored me. It was like "what in the hell are you talking about?". Mallory had some good teams back then. We beat OU in Boulder one year.

To me this very flawed. LSU, most of the SEC, and probably 2/3 of the schools in America have a culture that values their football programs. CU is not one of those schools. Until that changes it doesn't matter who we hire. I believe the coaching world, like most industries, is suffiecently small enough that most everyone out there in that world knows 'the truth' about CU and wouldn't touch the job with a 10' pole if they were already successful. Only Money can change that. And were not a culture of spending on coaches here lately.

Just my 2¢

Maybe if it were your $2..... You would be doing your part.

Back