What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Teams Reluctant to play in Boulder"- Tad Boyle

Xavier, Creighton ( just to piss of nubs ), and Virginia would be good match ups.

Xavier, Creighton ( just to piss of nubs ), and Virginia would be good match ups.

We would score about 30 on Virginia unless the half court offense improves five-fold. They allow absolutely nothing in transition. That said, it would be a very attractive matchup between two very solid programs in coming years. They are going to be top 25 caliber next year. Perhaps even better than that. It's long been my personal dream to see CU/UVA...

Virginia is actually very willing to play Pac-12 schools. They have a huge interest in national visibility. Heavy familiarity with the Pac-12 and the region. Their scheduling "guru" associate AD Jon Oliver was associate AD at Wazzu for years and has a heavy interest in playing Pac-12 opponents. They just had home/homes in basketball with Arizona, Oregon (and 2 for 1 with Seattle). They just played USC home/home and have home/homes with Oregon, Stanford, UCLA (and BYU) in football either this year or in the next couple years. Tony Bennett was hired after taking Wazzu to the Sweet 16. Women's coach Joanne Boyle was hired after developing Cal into a powerhouse. After their RPI fiasco this year, they are determined to learn to game the system now (just like we learned post 2011). Basically, this is an ACC program we would be very capable of lining up a home/home basketball series or a neutral site game with. They see themselves as going national, and are hungry for RPI boosting games. Also, when redesigning the Keg, it wouldn't hurt to take a few ideas from their JPJ. They walked the line perfectly between a modern arena but still keeping it a college feel. UVA has the student section behind the basket and wrapping around on one side of the court, yet they still have plenty of room for John Grisham to be sitting in his court side seats on the other side.

UVJPJ4.jpg

John-Paul-Jones-Arena.jpg

Attachments

• 002B-607-AB.jpg
    002B-607-AB.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We would score about 30 on Virginia unless the half court offense improves five-fold. They allow absolutely nothing in transition. That said, it would be a very attractive matchup between two very solid programs in coming years. They are going to be top 25 caliber next year. Perhaps even better than that. It's long been my personal dream to see CU/UVA...

Virginia is actually very willing to play Pac-12 schools. They have a huge interest in national visibility. Heavy familiarity with the Pac-12 and the region. Their scheduling "guru" associate AD Jon Oliver was associate AD at Wazzu for years and has a heavy interest in playing Pac-12 opponents. They just had home/homes in basketball with Arizona, Oregon (and 2 for 1 with Seattle). They just played USC home/home and have home/homes with Oregon, Stanford, UCLA (and BYU) in football either this year or in the next couple years. Tony Bennett was hired after taking Wazzu to the Sweet 16. Women's coach Joanne Boyle was hired after developing Cal into a powerhouse. After their RPI fiasco this year, they are determined to learn to game the system now (just like we learned post 2011). Basically, this is an ACC program we would be very capable of lining up a home/home basketball series or a neutral site game with. They see themselves as going national, and are hungry for RPI boosting games. Also, when redesigning the Keg, it wouldn't hurt to take a few ideas from their JPJ. They walked the line perfectly between a modern arena but still keeping it a college feel. UVA has the student section behind the basket and wrapping around on one side of the court, yet they still have plenty of room for John Grisham to be sitting in his court side seats on the other side.

View attachment 11825

View attachment 11826
Well I obviously 2nd a home-and-home with UVA.

View attachment 11825

View attachment 11826

That's a good looking arena. Seats a few thousand more than the Keg and looks filled in the first photo. What's the attendance/atmosphere like when a visiting team not based in the state of North Carolina comes to play?

That's a good looking arena. Seats a few thousand more than the Keg and looks filled in the first photo. What's the attendance/atmosphere like when a visiting team not based in the state of North Carolina comes to play?

Holds 15,000. Obviously packed for the big ACC games. They'll generally draw 12-13k for your "lame" ACC game against a mediocre Boston College or Georgia Tech. However, they haven't had a whole lot to cheer about in recent years, either. Had a streak of 19 straight home wins until Iowa ended it in the NIT this year. All appealing OOC games will have nearly a full house (like when the ACC/B1G challenge goes on). If a ranked Colorado went into Charlottesville, it would be a near capacity crowd. There would be a lot of appeal about an opponent they aren't used to seeing. CU would also have a solid showing as tickets wouldn't be particularly hard to get. There's a lot more Buffs lurking in the East than people realize. It's not even that uncommon to see CU stickers in Charlottesville since it's an area that harbors a lot of kids who go out of state for college, and like most everywhere else, CU is viewed as "cool".

Last edited:
That's why I was wondering if it was a "neutral" game or a neutral game. For all we know, the east coast game could be CU vs UNLV.

With no pre-season tournament, I'm glad we're going neutral for a few games though to get the kids ready.

Good point. Guess I just assumed it would be more a "neutral" game. Would UNLV vs CU or a similar game get much support on the East Coast? I just envision that being much like a lot of early season tournaments where only 10-20% of the arena is full

UVA has the student section behind the basket and wrapping around on one side of the court, yet they still have plenty of room for John Grisham to be sitting in his court side seats on the other side.

Okay ... what am I missing? What association does Grisham have with UVA? As far as I know he's a Miss St. grad and graduated from Ole Miss law school. Does he live in Charlottesville now?

Or is this some kind of joke I'm not getting? :huh:

Why not play other Big 12 teams? Wouldn't mind playing Baylor again, those always seem to be good games. Maybe Iowa St or Kansas St? In OKC or something? Would imagine all of those teams being pretty decent to good this year. Not gonna lie I have no idea in the likelihood of these games, but I was just throwing some names out there.

Okay ... what am I missing? What association does Grisham have with UVA? As far as I know he's a Miss St. grad and graduated from Ole Miss law school. Does he live in Charlottesville now?

He's got a home in C-Ville. I'm guessing he either has UVA season tix being a basketball fan or can just get good seats whenever he wants to see a game.

Why not play other Big 12 teams? Wouldn't mind playing Baylor again, those always seem to be good games. Maybe Iowa St or Kansas St? In OKC or something? Would imagine all of those teams being pretty decent to good this year. Not gonna lie I have no idea in the likelihood of these games, but I was just throwing some names out there.

Repeat after me... F**k Baylor.

Not really in favor of playing any of the old b12+- conference teams, but if it's considered, a home/home with okie lite might make some sense. I think more fans would make the trip to stoolwater vice places like wacko, the lil apple, etc. The game would be a solid one for rpi as they look like they'll be decent for the next few years.

Some of the potential games against MVC teams is intriguing, as others have noted. Some other possibilities could be Iowa (b1g) or Mizzery ($ec).

Not exactly dying to do this, but not exactly opposed.

He's resided on a farm in Charlottesville for years. Had a son attend UVA (briefly was on the baseball team), daughter went to UNC. He's a big college sports fan, and by default UVA is his adopted team. Sits courtside at every home basketball game.

Why not just schedule Kentucky at their place even if they won't come here? Would be some quality experience and national exposure and as we saw with the KU game would be an RPI boost even if we lost and who knows maybe we would pull out a W.

We should also schedule a home/home with DU. They should be good next year (lose just one player from last years 22-10 team), easy travel for both schools, and the game in Denver will probably feel like a home game for us.

Why not just schedule Kentucky at their place even if they won't come here? Would be some quality experience and national exposure and as we saw with the KU game would be an RPI boost even if we lost and who knows maybe we would pull out a W.

We should also schedule a home/home with DU. They should be good next year (lose just one player from last years 22-10 team), easy travel for both schools, and the game in Denver will probably feel like a home game for us.

a) I'm guessing Boyle is not willing to just play Kentucky in their place, because it might lower CU's leverage in scheduling home/home elsewhere. Might be difficult to convince a team like KU, to schedule another home/home with us if we were willing to play another team on the road with no strings attached. I know KU thinks it's going to give their fans in Colorado a chance to see KU play without traveling far, but that may not be the case.

b) I've heard elsewhere that Denver wants to schedule CU, but Boyle wants it to be a 2 for 1. Dunno if that's accurate or not. I do agree that playing Denver makes some sense, as we need to fill the schedule for this year.

b) I've heard elsewhere that Denver wants to schedule CU, but Boyle wants it to be a 2 for 1. Dunno if that's accurate or not. I do agree that playing Denver makes some sense, as we need to fill the schedule for this year.

I have heard, but only hearsay, that the DU admin is in no hurry to schedule anything with CU. They are still upset about getting hometowned by Big XII refs the last time they played in Boulder. This is several years ago though, could be water under the bridge by now.

I have heard, but only hearsay, that the DU admin is in no hurry to schedule anything with CU. They are still upset about getting hometowned by Big XII refs the last time they played in Boulder. This is several years ago though, could be water under the bridge by now.

The Ed Rush fiasco probably puts that off even further, then. Probably a blessing in disguise. Don't take this as saying DU isn't quality competition---but I think we need to be thinking more Wichita State and New Mexico for this coming season. I think the Rams will be WAY down, and I don't expect much from AFA, Wyoming, or Arkansas State. Like to have a bit more beef in this coming season's OOC.

I'd very much welcome a Home and Home series, or even some random neutral court games. Tad and Gregg are both fiery dudes, and I think they could get a friendly rivalry going just between themselves. Let alone the fanbases being some of the best in the country in support. I'm surprised something hasn't happened sooner, but think this year would be great.

I got a notice that a few of you guys tried to send me a PM but my box was full. I don't remember the usernames, so I can't pm directly that it's open, so my apologies for creating clutter. Feel free to delete if this post is too spammy.

tl;dr - you can pm me now.

Back