What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ted Miller and Pac-12 attendance

And there you have it. It never ceases to amaze me how some problems have the simplest solution, yet they don't get implemented by the people who make the decisions.

Isn't it a liability issue? If some poor kid dies of alcohol poisoning from booze they snuck into the stadium, that's a lot less liability than if they die of alcohol poisoning from booze they legally purchased in the stadium.

Also I believe the PAC has outlawed selling booze in any of their member schools stadiums (presumably for this reason). USC used to sell booze into the 90's at the Coliseum until the PAC told they absolutely couldn't anymore.

Isn't it a liability issue? If some poor kid dies of alcohol poisoning from booze they snuck into the stadium, that's a lot less liability than if they die of alcohol poisoning from booze they legally purchased in the stadium.

Also I believe the PAC has outlawed selling booze in any of their member schools stadiums (presumably for this reason). USC used to sell booze into the 90's at the Coliseum until the PAC told they absolutely couldn't anymore.
You're not going to die of alcohol poisoning from 3.2 beer.

if it were me, i'd open beer sales up to everyone with a valid ID throughout the game...

:yeahthat:

Absolutely. The current policy only encourages binge drinking. It also encourages people to stay in the parking lots longer.

Why would (or should) the stadium be liable for that? That's like saying a liquor store is liable if someone dies of alcohol poisoning from booze they legally purchased at the liquor store. :huh:

Back to topic (not exactly signing day around here) - not sure if anyone caught this little Q & A between Ubben and Miller:

Colorado is new to the Pac-12 but old to the Big 12, so it makes sense to check in with Big 12 blogger David Ubben to get his take on the state of the Buffaloes as they welcome new coach Jon Embree.

Just who are these Buffaloes? What are their strengths and weaknesses and how will they fit into the Pac-12, specifically the Pac-12 South?

We went looking for insights and Ubben obliged.

Ted Miller: Well, David you -- and the Big 12 -- have to say goodbye to Colorado, with the Buffaloes looking to their future out West in the Pac-12. First of all, give Pac-12 fans a CliffsNotes description of the state of the program. Things haven’t gone so well in Boulder lately. Why?

David Ubben: Colorado is certainly in rebuilding mode as they kick off a new start under coach Jon Embree after firing Dan Hawkins in the middle of the 2010 season. They bring back two stars in quarterback Tyler Hansen and running back Rodney Stewart. But fitting those guys into Embree's new system and greatly improving from their 5-7 record seems like asking a lot.

Hawkins came to Boulder promising big things but never delivered. As for why it didn't go well? Any number of reasons. One that angered fans is Hawkins' tendency to play less talented players who knew the system well over more talented players that maybe didn't have as solid of a grasp of what they wanted to do on the field. Embree has said he'll do essentially the opposite, so I guess that's a start in the eyes of fans.

TM: OK, let’s look forward then. Tell Pac-12 folks about Embree, his new staff and the talent the Buffaloes have returning. What are strengths and what are question marks heading into the 2011 season?

DU: He's stocked his coaching staff with quite a few Buffaloes, but most of the names would be more recognizable as players. The biggest name is his offensive coordinator, former Buffs great Eric Bieniemy, who spent the past few years coaching Adrian Peterson as the running backs coach at the Minnesota Vikings. They also swiped Bobby Kennedy, a Boulder native, from Texas to coach receivers.

Last year, they ran the ball pretty well, and Stewart is back. He's a small, shifty back that seems way, way underrated. He rushed for more than 1,300 yards last year, and the only Big 12 backs who had more were Daniel Thomas and Kendall Hunter, who should be drafted this year. They lose tackle Nate Solder, another first-round pick, but Ryan Miller is back, and he's an all-conference level guard.

The big question for them next season will be if their defense can stop the pass -- which my sources tell me, is pretty important in the Pac-12. Maybe not as important as in the Big 12, but still necessary for big success. Both corners from last year, Jalil Brown and Jimmy Smith, should be drafted. They weren't great at stopping the pass last year (9th in the Big 12) so it's hard to see them being better at it next year.

TM: OK. Good stuff. Let’s wind it up. How would you have projected them in the Big 12 next fall? And do you have any feeling for how they might do in the new Pac-12 South?

DU: They definitely looked like a team in the bottom third of the Big 12 next year, and it seems like it'll be tough for them to finish in the top half of the Pac-12 South in 2011.

Right now, it's just about being competitive and maybe stealing a game or two that people didn't think they'd win. If that happens enough, a bowl game isn't out of the question. We don't have any idea what to expect out of an Embree-coached team, and that could be a good or a bad thing. We won't know for sure until next year, but if Embree can bottle up whatever Colorado had inside of them the way they played down the stretch last season after Hawkins was fired, it could be a real surprise 2011 for the Buffs.

Why would (or should) the stadium be liable for that? That's like saying a liquor store is liable if someone dies of alcohol poisoning from booze they legally purchased at the liquor store. :huh:

As I said, if they sell beer at college stadiums, it raises their insurance premiums.

Even if it didn't, the Pac-12 doesn't allow it. So it's a moot point.

As I said, if they sell beer at college stadiums, it raises their insurance premiums.

balch is technically outside the stadium, though. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

the p10 doesn't allow beer sales. sonuvabeeetch. i wish someone had told me that BEFORE we joined this effing conference.

does this mean no cocktails in the swanky seats either??? please, dear lord, say it ain't so.

WHAT?!?!?!?

Is it too late to call this whole thing off?

So much for that great idea of calling it the "12-Pac". Talk about a wasted marketing opportunity.

why do i suddenly have the feeling we are going to be viewed as the oakland raiders of the p12? except without most of the costumes...

why do i suddenly have the feeling we are going to be viewed as the oakland raiders of the p12? except without most of the costumes...

Meh, we've got a lot catching-up to do with those crazy bastards from Corvallis. I hear they throw pinecone filled nails.

the p10 doesn't allow beer sales. sonuvabeeetch. i wish someone had told me that BEFORE we joined this effing conference.

does this mean no cocktails in the swanky seats either??? please, dear lord, say it ain't so.

To be clear, I'm just talking about booze for sale in the stadium. Is that common in the Big 12? I've been to games in a bunch of the Texas venues and I don't think they sold beer...?

Not sure about the luxury boxes -- they may have booze in there. Those are new for us now that the stadium is being torn up and redone -- we haven't had luxury boxes in the past. Hopefully by the time they open in 2012 my donor status will be elevated to the point where I can sample their treasures.

To be clear, I'm just talking about booze for sale in the stadium. Is that common in the Big 12? I've been to games in a bunch of the Texas venues and I don't think they sold beer...?

Not sure about the luxury boxes -- they may have booze in there. Those are new for us now that the stadium is being torn up and redone -- we haven't had luxury boxes in the past. Hopefully by the time they open in 2012 my donor status will be elevated to the point where I can sample their treasures.

No, it's not common to sell beer in the Big XII. We used to sell beer in Folsom. I'm not sure when it ended, but a lot of folks here (myself included) like to talk about the good old days.

I personally correlate the success of our football team with beer sales. I'm pretty sure we went to **** about the time the stadium enacted the beer ban. That's an association that the smart folks at Cal would consider "non-spurrious", if I'm not mistaken.

No, it's not common to sell beer in the Big XII. We used to sell beer in Folsom. I'm not sure when it ended, but a lot of folks here (myself included) like to talk about the good old days.

I personally correlate the success of our football team with beer sales. I'm pretty sure we went to **** about the time the stadium enacted the beer ban. That's an association that the smart folks at Cal would consider "non-spurrious", if I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure they'd say that connection is about as spurious as if someone said that ice cream consumption causes violent crime because it can be statistically proven that they both increase and decrease at around the same time. :smile2:

Still, I wish I could buy beer at Folsom without having to spring for club level.

I'm pretty sure they'd say that connection is about as spurious as if someone said that ice cream consumption causes violent crime because it can be statistically proven that they both increase and decrease at around the same time. :smile2:

Still, I wish I could buy beer at Folsom without having to spring for club level.

they can have my mimosa when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

if they outlaw cocktails, only outlaws will have cocktails.

I probably wouldn't buy a beer in the stadium even if they sold it. I usually show up pretty tanked after hanging out in the parking lot for four hours anyway. It's the principle of the thing, though. They told us that keeping beer out of the stadium would cut down on binge drinking. That has proven to be completely false, yet they don't have the stones to admit they were wrong. That, more than anything else, is what pisses me off.

I probably wouldn't buy a beer in the stadium even if they sold it. I usually show up pretty tanked after hanging out in the parking lot for four hours anyway. It's the principle of the thing, though. They told us that keeping beer out of the stadium would cut down on binge drinking. That has proven to be completely false, yet they don't have the stones to admit they were wrong. That, more than anything else, is what pisses me off.

Typical Liberal, your wrong even if you are right. Wake me up when it's false.

balch is technically outside the stadium, though. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I don't know if "officially" it would be considered part of the stadium - but my guess is yes since it is part of the "secure" area on game day (i.e. you can't get into the fieldhouse without a ticket).

Miller got on my bad side the other day:

Why do CU fans get mad when a reporter writes that we suck or that we are bottom of the Pac12? We haven't had a winning record since 2005. I don't think we have beat a ranked opp on the road since 2002. Last road win was in 2007! I think it's only fair for them to write that we suck and not out of the question to think we will finish in the bottom part of the pac 12

Why do CU fans get mad when a reporter writes that we suck or that we are bottom of the Pac12? We haven't had a winning record since 2005. I don't think we have beat a ranked opp on the road since 2002. Last road win was in 2007! I think it's only fair for them to write that we suck and not out of the question to think we will finish in the bottom part of the pac 12

Shut up! You suck!

The nice thing about us sucking right now is that we will not fall victim to performing below expectations in a new conference like Miami has done so far in the ACC after moving there from the Big East. Utah will have a lot of external pressure to perform well in the Pac-12 this fall and right now they only have six healthy OL players heading into the spring. There is a chance the Utes fall flat on their faces in their first year of Pac-12 play as well.

I get mad at such things because I take a rather longview of just about everything and don't base my opinions on a subject based solely on the last five minutes/five months/five years. For example, SNL may "suck" right now but I watch it because it has been a great show. SNL is still a great show because it has been a great show, the last handful of years notwithstanding. Same with CU. Unfortunately, our society gets bored every three minutes these days - and by extension, has a shorter memory - and the media mirrors the trend.

I get mad at such things because I take a rather longview of just about everything and don't base my opinions on a subject based solely on the last five minutes/five months/five years. For example, SNL may "suck" right now but I watch it because it has been a great show. SNL is still a great show because it has been a great show, the last handful of years notwithstanding. Same with CU. Unfortunately, our society gets bored every three minutes these days - and by extension, has a shorter memory - and the media mirrors the trend.

So by this logic, you think that when sportswriters are writing about the Buffs (or Nebraska, or Miami, or Navy, or Harvard if you go back far enough) they should alter their predictions for the upcoming season based not on the players on the team, or the coaches coaching them, but on the institutional success of the program historically?

How far back should they go? The University of Chicago won a National Championship in 1905 -- should we watch out for the Maroons next year?

Back