What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tennessee´s new football facility

May I suggest someplace uncomfortable?

1963-vw-bug-drivers-front.jpg

they could also build a giant retaining wall on that hill north of Dal Ward, back fill it, and build on top of that. That way it would just be an extension of Dal Ward. Build an indoor field instead of the bubble. Use the three outdoor fields when it is nice out... like it almost always is and then just go inside when its bad. Put a track inside and we could sell it as a multi purpose facility. That much dirt though would cost a fortune I am sure

Ignoring the 100 year flood plane issue for a moment. The real reason they will not build it down there is that it would destroy my tailgating lot.

Agree, that is my tailgate lot as well. Wouldn't think of building on it and "we love the up hill trail to the stadium"

I just had an interesting discussion with one of my fellow engineers about "The 100 Year Flood Plain" thing. When they did the mapping, they had a limited time to get it done. So they began with the most important urban areas first and then worked their way "down." But the initial work went slowly and they quickly began running out of time. So they began to accelerate and began making assumptions and, pretty much, no calculations. So, my argument is that the FEMA "100 Year Flood Plain" maps are kind of a joke. But I don't doubt that the area north of Folsom, where the creek flows, is in a flood plain. I think they would actually, though, have to do some engineering to determine the flood risk and not rely on the FEMA maps.

Hell, they could put in a three level parking structure and the building on top. That way, only the cars would get damaged.

Concerns about being in the flood plain truly need to be about the last thing on their minds when considering the location of whatever facility they put in.

they could also build a giant retaining wall on that hill north of Dal Ward, back fill it, and build on top of that. That way it would just be an extension of Dal Ward. Build an indoor field instead of the bubble. Use the three outdoor fields when it is nice out... like it almost always is and then just go inside when its bad. Put a track inside and we could sell it as a multi purpose facility. That much dirt though would cost a fortune I am sure

Do you think before you type this **** out?

Do you think before you type this **** out?

actually yes. I have seen it done in numerous other areas in the state. It would be expensive no doubt but no where near as expensive as relocating the family housing as others are suggesting. It actually is not difficult or uncommon to build retaining walls large enough that they can support the weight of an entire building. The real problem is back filling the site. That would be difficult and very expensive.

What difference does it make whether it's the athletic department or the department of housing? All of East Campus is in the 100 year floodplain. All of the family housing is in the 100-year floodplain. I really don't see the difference. In fact, if they really cared, they'd move some of that housing OUT of the 100-year floodplain and replace it with athletic facilities that aren't used as somebodys home.

see iowa state...

You like Tennessee? That's a good school. Not at the academic level of Ole Miss but they have an outstanding science department. You know what they're famous for? They work with the FBI, to study the effects of soil on decomposing body parts. When they find a body, the police wanna know how long it's been dead. So the fine folks at Tennessee help them out. Oh, they have lots of body parts. Arms and legs and hands, from hospitals and medical schools. And do you know where they store 'em? Right underneath the football field. So while it's fine and dandy to have 100,000 fans cheering for you, the bodies you should be worried about are the ones right under the turf. Set to poke up through the ground and grab you... Well, it's your decision where you wanna play ball. Don't let me influence you.

22471.8.219.138.jpg

You like Tennessee? That's a good school. Not at the academic level of Ole Miss but they have an outstanding science department. You know what they're famous for? They work with the FBI, to study the effects of soil on decomposing body parts. When they find a body, the police wanna know how long it's been dead. So the fine folks at Tennessee help them out. Oh, they have lots of body parts. Arms and legs and hands, from hospitals and medical schools. And do you know where they store 'em? Right underneath the football field. So while it's fine and dandy to have 100,000 fans cheering for you, the bodies you should be worried about are the ones right under the turf. Set to poke up through the ground and grab you... Well, it's your decision where you wanna play ball. Don't let me influence you.

22471.8.219.138.jpg

blind side FTMFW!!!

see iowa state...

Dude, that's about the worst example you could have possibly used. They built in the floodplain. It flooded. The floodwaters receded, they are still just fine. What would have happened if they had family housing where their athletic facilities are?

With the way Boulder Creek is dammed, the chances of a significant flood impacting Boulder are minimal. There just isn't enough space for the water to gather. Any flooding would be a flash flood, not the kind of flooding that occurred in Ames. Totally different thing. I'm continually amazed at how people let themselves get all tied in knots over building in a flood plain. It happens all the time. You engineer around the risk and go forward. In fact, look at Tennessee - their 100,000+ stadium is on the banks of the Tennessee River. You think that's in the floodplain? And we're worried about putting a practice facility there? REALLY?

Back