What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Terrel Smith got called out publicly - thoughts?

Hawkins was too soft and zen and now Embree is a hard ass and that's a bad thing? Jesus guys.

Every coach is different, every kid is different. The coaches are around the kids all the time and have a better feel for what will or will not motivate individual kids.

The most important thing to keep in mind here is that it is less important what is said and where it is said than how it is percieved by the kid and the team. If the players believe the coaches are playing head games and being dishonest then it will be a major negative. If the players believe the coaches are being honest and the criticism is about their performance not them personally then they will respond.

The key thing here is when Smith responds does he get the reward, in this case it looks like it is already happening.

The other thing is another pro deal, when the coaches are talking about you it means that they consider you worth talking about, you are in their plans. When they ignore you is when you have problems. My guess is that Smith is sharp enough to have this figured out.

I hope he doesn't call out any more kids in the press. I never liked it when Hawk did it, and I won't like it when whoever replaces Embree does it. :smile2:

I makes me a little uneasy to see him call kids out in the press as well. Under the best circumstances this should be handled behind closed doors. Since we are no where near the best circumstances, and since he is a brand new coach, I give Embo the benefit of the doubt.

However, I understand your concern, and I never liked it when Talkins blamed his failures on the kids. But we all know Talkins was a charlatan and a fraud. That's what those types of people do, deflect.

I makes me a little uneasy to see him call kids out in the press as well. Under the best circumstances this should be handled behind closed doors. Since we are no where near the best circumstances, and since he is a brand new coach, I give Embo the benefit of the doubt.

However, I understand your concern, and I never liked it when Talkins blamed his failures on the kids. But we all know Talkins was a charlatan and a fraud. That's what those types of people do, deflect.

Given that its still practice and the fact that the entire CB core is struggling right now, I think Embree is trying to fire up one of his most talented athletes back there. For crying out loud he just said the kid needs to step up and make more plays, didnt say he was terrible and likely has no chance at the D1 level. When its gets to the point where JE is putting kids outside in sheds then I will worry.

Given that its still practice and the fact that the entire CB core is struggling right now, I think Embree is trying to fire up one of his most talented athletes back there. For crying out loud he just said the kid needs to step up and make more plays, didnt say he was terrible and likely has no chance at the D1 level. When its gets to the point where JE is putting kids outside in sheds then I will worry.
I know. It's the offseason. Making a big deal out of something so small is what we do here at AllBuffs. :thumbsup:

I blame BuffNik. He's the one who started all this. :smile2:

I hope he doesn't call out any more kids in the press. I never liked it when Hawk did it, and I won't like it when whoever replaces Embree does it. :smile2:

I think the difference between the two is that Hawkins did it to use the kids as a scapegoat to cover his own shortcomings. Embree is doing it to see who rises to the challenge-- to find winners. To find who has the NFL metality. I like it because if he creates the environment of 'if you just want to play and have fun, CU is not for you. If you are serious about building a pro career, and want to do whatever it takes to win, then Cu should be on your short list' then the kids coming here will know that they will have to kick ass or else. No more leapfrog and screwing around. CU football is back and he is about doing it right, doing it perfect, doing it hard, and winning. And I love that attitude. We may lose more than I want to the next couple of years, but I don't think we will see a team out there looking disinterested. And that is all I can ask at this point. But I do hope for a bowl game this year. I think it might be possible.

I think the difference between the two is that Hawkins did it to use the kids as a scapegoat to cover his own shortcomings. Embree is doing it to see who rises to the challenge-- to find winners. To find who has the NFL metality. I like it because if he creates the environment of 'if you just want to play and have fun, CU is not for you. If you are serious about building a pro career, and want to do whatever it takes to win, then Cu should be on your short list' then the kids coming here will know that they will have to kick ass or else. No more leapfrog and screwing around. CU football is back and he is about doing it right, doing it perfect, doing it hard, and winning. And I love that attitude. We may lose more than I want to the next couple of years, but I don't think we will see a team out there looking disinterested. And that is all I can ask at this point. But I do hope for a bowl game this year. I think it might be possible.

What a lot of people miss in a situation like this is no matter how much leapfrog you play and how much feel good crap gets said, being a part of a losing football team sucks and it sucks even more when you know that you could be better and aren't. On the other hand all the hard work and sore muscles, all the sore ears and hurt feelings go away when a team is playing to it's ability and winning games.

In the short term this coaching change will be a tough adjustment for some of the players, in the long term they will feel better about themselves and their teammates and it will be a much better experience.

I'm sure there's more to this than what we can see. I felt pretty certain that JE and other coaches have already had some practice field and/or sideline conversations with Terror. This is something he's heard directly from the hc or the staff before it ever got to the press.

Back