What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas A&M About To Tell The Big 12 Bye Bye ?

Big 12 is an imperfect and inequitable union. Another problem associated with inequity will pop-up and at some point this hastily-crafted conference will finally collapse. It’s inevitable. The question is whether that collapse will occur in weeks, months, or a year

Pardon me, but haven't we been saying this exact same thing right here for the last year? Are the aggies just now figuring this one out?

No, they are just now confronting the reality of being smashed in the face by a UT bus. Until now, they've only heard the bus idling away.

Micro:
1. Baylor needs to go about creating a conference with TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, and other geographic Tier 1 universities. Some like Baylor and TCU will be left out when the Big XII and Big East crumble, others can be drawn from the CUSA and MWC. It might be easiest for Baylor to join the CUSA (MWC is not what it was, and our natural geographic rivals are in CUSA already) and have TCU join along (MWC may still have some bad blood left over)

I'm certain Baylor's old SWC buddies would love to hang out. You know...they got each others' backs and whatnot...

What a bunch of pussies in the new Big 12!

Why not just grow some balls and kick Texas out of your conference?

Invite TCU in to replace the Whorns and steal the Big East's thunder.

You would still have a 10-team BCS conference-worthy conference. The TV package from ABC/ESPN would probably get dinged, but go to an equal revenue sharing model with a CONFERENCE network (like they should have approved back when Kevin Weiberg was their commish!).

Why do 9 teams need to all scramble around looking like musical chairs, when they are strong enough to hold up their own conference?

I get why Texas A&M wants to go SEC, and I've felt that Mizzou was a better SEC prospect than a Big 10 one since Mizzery first started batting their eye lashes at Jim Delany; but there is no reason to "implode" the Big 12 at this point. Just kick Texas out.

If they want to get a CCG again, they could consider adding two of: New Mexico, Houston, Memphis, SMU. While it might seem counter-intuitive to go after the markets they already own, however saturating those markets in competition with the LHN could be a very smart strategy. By airing multiple games in a day that feature Texas-based schools and the Oklahoma schools, they could battle the LHN in ratings.

I'm sure that Sooner and Aggie would want to get a big enough slice of the pie to warrant their place at the table (like USC/UCLA did to the Pac-12 early negotiation), but with Comcast/NBC still trying to land a major conference and an existing contract in place with ABC/ESPN I'm sure they would all make out just fine.

That would be hilarious - I would love to see Texas scrambling to fill a suddenly empty schedule. Good luck getting anyone to agree to playing on the LHN without UT paying teams out the nose.

I am honestly starting to think that UT could be in trouble, and has over-played their hand. They're now hamstrung with a TV deal that no conference will accept. If the Big12 collapses and the pieces are picked up to create a super-conference, then UT is left out in the cold. There won't be enough open slots to schedule them for most teams, and many teams won't want to play on the LHN without a huge payout from UT.

Nobody would like to see UT get kicked in the teeth more than I would (except maybe some aggies and a few jilted Texas HS players who dreamed of going to UT and didn't get a scholly offer) but the idea that Texas would be left out in the cold without a schedule is ridiculous.

The reason why people don't like Texas for the most part is money, they have it, they flaunt it, they act like it makes them special and their stuff doesn't stink. The minute Texas went independant they would have no trouble filling their schedule. OU will continue to play them no matter what happens, Notre Dame and BYU are both independants with schedules to fill who would be happy to take a share of Texas money and attention. Army and Navy have schedules to fill as well.

From there the Texans own illusions of grandeur would take care of the rest. With the LHN and their full stadium at premium ticket prices they could find enough other mid level teams who would be more than glad to take a beating to go Austin and collect a huge paycheck. Look at the situation up the road in Ft. Collins. CSU gets between $1.5 and $2 million a year from their conference package, they average under 24k home attendance with ticket prices roughly half those the Buffs charge. If Texas called them up and said "Hey y'all, we got an extra $800,000 if you'all'd be willin' to come on down a play us," you have to be pretty sure that CSU would answer "Yes sir, may I have another?"

The Texans only need 2-4 legit opponents a year to justify their position in their own minds as being wonderful. With the TV ratings and attendance they draw they would be able to get by just fine. Would they get the same respect as they get now from the rest of the football world, probably not and they might lose some revenue but they would also gain revenue by not having to share, even unequally with the Iowa States and Kansas States of the world.

In the end, what probably really pisses of Aggie is that they know that with or without Aggie, with or without the Big XII, the SWC, etc. no matter how popular and successfull Aggie or anyone else is, UT still owns Texas.

While I mostly agree, I would dearly love to see the Big 12 kick UT to the curb and make them swim on their own. I would find that arrangement extremely satisfying.

While I mostly agree, I would dearly love to see the Big 12 kick UT to the curb and make them swim on their own. I would find that arrangement extremely satisfying.

The shock on their faces to hear that they weren't worshipped and the object of everyones desire would make it worthwhile. Of course they would then twist it into they were to good for the rest of the conference in their own minds but the temporary shock and confusion would be priceless.

What the average whorn fan is unable to understand now is that they are now at a serious disadvantage compared to a year ago. The Pac 10 wanted them, along with everybody else because they were available. Now the Pac 12 has a massive new TV deal along with a new network, and here is the irony, that provides every conference school basically with their own LHN anyway. They are now joined at the hip with ESPN, and ESPN has their own agenda with the network they own. Every major conference is seeing the cancer that the LHN has created and will NEVER allow that network to be part of an invitation. I agree with dio, if Aggie and Mizzou pull the trigger, and I'm starting to wonder how they won't given the LHN/ESPN agenda, UT is going to be seriously left scrambling for a home and I have a good feeling that they really don't want independence.

Texas will be fine going independent when it comes to football but what about the other sports? BYU basically joined the WAC and Notre Dame the B1G. I don't know how many conferences would be lined up to allow Texas as a non-football conference mate.

Texas will be fine going independent when it comes to football but what about the other sports? BYU basically joined the WAC and Notre Dame the B1G. I don't know how many conferences would be lined up to allow Texas as a non-football conference mate.

This. Football is easy. You only need to find a dozen partners. Who's going to fly/drive their girls lacross team across the country? You need so many more games against so many more teams. I kind of like the idea of kicking Texas out of the conference but ONLY if they do not accept them in any additional sports. If they protect the rest of Texas' atheletic events, then the Big Texas is a bunch of pantywipes. Kick them out. Grow a pair.

The only downside I see from this is that the MWC would pick up Texas' non-revenue sports in a heartbeat and then the # of CSU fans on this thread would quadruple.

I volunteer to fly the Texas Lacrosse girls across the country.

I volunteer to fly the Texas Lacrosse girls across the country.

You know, I dated a Texas Lacrosse girl for awhile. Bad idea, unless you enjoy the feeling of slow dying death and just as you are about to embrace the light at the end of the tunnel, you suddenly return to earth because said Texas Lacrosse girl gave you a blood transfusion from her just to ensure your slow dying death lasts a little bit longer. True story.

You know, I dated a Texas Lacrosse girl for awhile. Bad idea, unless you enjoy the feeling of slow dying death and just as you are about to embrace the light at the end of the tunnel, you suddenly return to earth because said Texas Lacrosse girl gave you a blood transfusion from her just to ensure your slow dying death lasts a little bit longer. True story.
I don't know if this is an appropriate thread to tell us how you got your red wings.

Kind of like those super-hot vampires feasting on Keaneau Reeves? I was never clear on why he chose to escape.

surprised this hasn't been posted yet-

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1090643.html

sounds like the damage may have already been done....
ESPN and Texas are in-bed with each other and the rest of the B12 are not pleased-

Are the dominoes about to be knocked over?

If the Pac 12 feels it has to go to 16 teams I'd be ok with OU, Okie St, KU & Mizzou- best of the remaining Big 8.
Put those teams in a 'Mid-West' POD- expand the PAC brand into the Central time zone- lock down Okie City, Tulsa,
KC and St Louis television markets and bring some good basketball into the conference.

I'd rather the Pac 12 stay at 12 but IMHO it's just a matter of time before Super Conferences are here.
If A&M wants to make some serious coin, they will join the SEC with OU or MU. A&M campus is very close to Louisiana, and they have played against alot of SEC teams in the past, especially LSU.

Last edited:
Nothing appealing about a Pac-16, imo. We just escaped these assholes, being in a SWC or Big12South would suck, quite frankly, and I have my doubts that many Pac schools would be on board with adding the Texas Tech's of the world. We've got it made right now being in the Pac-12 South. Being in a Sand-Division practically brings us back to where we started -- playing in locations with very few alums, playing in LA two times a decade, etc. As I've said before, at some point distance has to be an issue as well. A school like Mizzou in the Pac would be asinine and I highly doubt that would ever occur. What's next? Why not look at North Carolina for possible Pac expansion? Mizzou in the SEC makes some sense as it gives Arkansas more of a natural rival, but the Tiggers might just be making a lot of noise again a la last year when they were certain they were Big10 bound long before Nebraska. I think when all is set and done it's more likely Mizzou and KU end up in the Big East than anywhere else.

Nothing appealing about a Pac-16, imo. We just escaped these assholes, being in a SWC or Big12South would suck, quite frankly, and I have my doubts that many Pac schools would be on board with adding the Texas Tech's of the world. We've got it made right now being in the Pac-12 South. Being in a Sand-Division practically brings us back to where we started -- playing in locations with very few alums, playing in LA two times a decade, etc. As I've said before, at some point distance has to be an issue as well. A school like Mizzou in the Pac would be asinine and I highly doubt that would ever occur. What's next? Why not look at North Carolina for possible Pac expansion? Mizzou in the SEC makes some sense as it gives Arkansas more of a natural rival, but the Tiggers might just be making a lot of noise again a la last year when they were certain they were Big10 bound long before Nebraska. I think when all is set and done it's more likely Mizzou and KU end up in the Big East than anywhere else.

:nod:

Howzabout the expansion discussion get postponed for 15 or so years?

That'll give CU a chance to know and perhaps learn to loath the new neighborhood.

ten bucks says dbt cant read this small font. :smile2:

Back