What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas A&M officially announces Big 12 exit (was: A&M seeking B12 exit)

images

I can only assume that the SEC has unofficially accepted them into the conference. If so, how fast does the PAC-12 try to keep up with the Jones and add more teams? I hope it is a thought out process and not a knee-jerk reaction.

So how long until Baylor says it is a better fit for the SEC and should replace ATM. It is so much better to watch this from the outside with a nice TV contract in place.

So how long until Baylor says it is a better fit for the SEC and should replace ATM. It is so much better to watch this from the outside with a nice TV contract in place.

i read on another board that BU is apparently lobbying the rest of the "XII" to not schedule ATM in any sports for 10 years. talk about sour grapes from an also-ran, who cares really program. since when did BU become the moral leadership of sporting virtue. talk about a typical BU overestimation of themselves. enjoy C-USA Bears.

i read on another board that BU is apparently lobbying the rest of the "XII" to not schedule ATM in any sports for 10 years. talk about sour grapes from an also-ran, who cares really program. since when did BU become the moral leadership of sporting virtue. talk about a typical BU overestimation of themselves. enjoy C-USA Bears.

We've been talking about it for a while, and for me it never gets old. This is Baylor being Baylor...par for the course.

Someone explain to me why the SEC is doing this. Why would they upset the apple cart that they have going? I am sure that a few are pissed about the money that the Pac is getting, but that just means that they are going to get really paid next time their contracts come up. They could be looking at closer to $50 mil a school a year.

Does adding aTm allow them to renegotiate? They don't need the recruiting, and aTm doesn't add a ton to that conference. I just don't see the SEC's angle.

Someone explain to me why the SEC is doing this. Why would they upset the apple cart that they have going? I am sure that a few are pissed about the money that the Pac is getting, but that just means that they are going to get really paid next time their contracts come up. They could be looking at closer to $50 mil a school a year.

Does adding aTm allow them to renegotiate? They don't need the recruiting, and aTm doesn't add a ton to that conference. I just don't see the SEC's angle.

They can certainly re-negotiate their contract at any time, provided both sides are interested in negotiating. The networks might tell the SEC to pound sand, though.

I think the SEC is interested in expanding to added television markets. Texas is a valuable market.

So much for the "economic" argument about keeping games in Texas... :lol:

You heard it here first, aTm to the MWC. Hope that commish is making the call! Everybody wins!!! (except aTm and the Big12-3)

:lol:

That "study" was such garbage anyway. I think it did show that the town of Waco benefited from Baylor playing more prestigious in-state teams. And, really, that's all that matters. What's best for the folks at Baylor is automatically what is right and best for everyone else.

Baylor will use whatever argument is convenient to keep their spot at the BCS table. It's funny to watch now that CU is safely away. Not so funny when they're targeting you with their BS, though.

so does that mean, even if they do not get their 14th member, the SEC has to start playing 6 divison games? A&M would have to be in a division and as I believe per NCAA rule, you have to play all your division-mates. So one less cupcake OOC for them then.

Last edited:
so does that mean, even if they do not get their 14th member, the SEC has to start playing 6 conference games? A&M would have to be in a division and as I believe per NCAA rule, you have to play all your division-mates. So one less cupcake OOC for them then.

It's confusing. They'd have 7 on one side and 6 on the other.

East (6) = 5 divisional games + 4 inter-division games
West (7) = 6 divisional games + 3 inter-divisional games

East 6 x 4 = 24
West 7 x 3 = 21

I'm not sure how it works unless half of the East teams only played 8 conference games instead of 9.

Edit: Doesn't the SEC also have protected rivalries across divisions that it needs to accommodate, too?

It's confusing. They'd have 7 on one side and 6 on the other.

East (6) = 5 divisional games + 4 inter-division games
West (7) = 6 divisional games + 3 inter-divisional games

East 6 x 4 = 24
West 7 x 3 = 21

I'm not sure how it works unless half of the East teams only played 8 conference games instead of 9.

Edit: Doesn't the SEC also have protected rivalries across divisions that it needs to accommodate, too?

UGA-Auburn and Tenn-Bama

Yes, the SEC has built in cross-division rivalry games which, to date, have been played every year.

Alabama (West) - Tennessee (East)
LSU (West) - Florida (East)
Auburn (West) - Georgia (East)
Miss. State (West) - Kentucky (East)
Ole Miss (West) - Vanderbilt (East)
Arkansas (West) - S. Carolina (East)

Under the current SEC conference scheduling format, each school plays a total of eight (8) conference games. Each team plays the other five (5) teams in its own division, as well as two (2) schools from the other division on a rotating basis, and one (1) school from the other division (as described above) that it plays every year.

I did some lurking on fan message boards to gather opinions on what happens next in the conference re-alignment game. Most think the B12-3 is done unless BYU or ND step up and join. They would also need to add 2 more to get to 12 and have a conference game. No one see's this happening, so everyone is trying to figure out what happens next. The OSU & OU political ties are interesting. They seem to be joined together, but will split if both get in BCS conferences. Most think that UT and OU are working together to join the PAC12, and the debate is who is coming with them. Will Texas and Oklahoma politics force OSU and TTech to tag along, or once the conference dissolves will it be every man for them self. KU seems to think if politics are pushed aside they will get into the PAC12. The question of Kansas politics and what happens to KSU will make that interesting. Baylor views themselves as screwed, and have a few threads longing for the days of the SWC. KSU is just realizing the Nebraska isn't on their schedule this year, and so they will learn about conference re-alignment in about a year. ISU will be asking the MAC or MWC for an invite shortly. TTech seems to think they are an important factor in carrying the Dallas TV market, and will end up somewhere good.

It seems many feel OU and UT are lobbying the PAC together to join, and 2 other teams will come with them. The interesting discussion is what politics will come into play should we go to a PAC-16. With aTm leaving, can UT leave and not have to take another Texas school with it? Would the SEC take OSU to go along with aTm? What two other schools would join OU and UT in the PAC12 (I would think the two best fits would be KU and Air Force both for academic and athletic reasons. Would Cal be pissed about having a military academy in the conference?)

I did some lurking on fan message boards to gather opinions on what happens next in the conference re-alignment game. Most think the B12-3 is done unless BYU or ND step up and join. They would also need to add 2 more to get to 12 and have a conference game. No one see's this happening, so everyone is trying to figure out what happens next. The OSU & OU political ties are interesting. They seem to be joined together, but will split if both get in BCS conferences. Most think that UT and OU are working together to join the PAC12, and the debate is who is coming with them. Will Texas and Oklahoma politics force OSU and TTech to tag along, or once the conference dissolves will it be every man for them self. KU seems to think if politics are pushed aside they will get into the PAC12. The question of Kansas politics and what happens to KSU will make that interesting. Baylor views themselves as screwed, and have a few threads longing for the days of the SWC. KSU is just realizing the Nebraska isn't on their schedule this year, and so they will learn about conference re-alignment in about a year. ISU will be asking the MAC or MWC for an invite shortly. TTech seems to think they are an important factor in carrying the Dallas TV market, and will end up somewhere good.

It seems many feel OU and UT are lobbying the PAC together to join, and 2 other teams will come with them. The interesting discussion is what politics will come into play should we go to a PAC-16. With aTm leaving, can UT leave and not have to take another Texas school with it? Would the SEC take OSU to go along with aTm? What two other schools would join OU and UT in the PAC12 (I would think the two best fits would be KU and Air Force both for academic and athletic reasons. Would Cal be pissed about having a military academy in the conference?)
Interesting stuff. A couple of other tidbits. KU and KjSU share the same board of regents, it is highly unlikely they will split up...they are joined at the hip like some Eco-crusader/bundle of wheat hybrid superhero.

OU and Okie Lite have issues. Not just Jethro getting caught behind the barn with cousin Susie issues at Thanksgiving, but real political issues that makes it harder, but not impossible to split up, just like Jethro and Susie.

I find it very hard to believe the Pac 12 PTB would want UT if that meant TT coming along, TT is about as academically appealing as the study of the incidence of hairy nipples in large Inuit women. Baylor isn't about to be the first Baptist member of the PAc 12 either, so who does UT bring to the dance? OU (Jethro)? If OU what happens to Susie? I mean Okie Lite? If Jethro and Susie come along with UT, who is the fourth? Probably not TT or Baylor, Aggie has taken their ball and gone SEC, Mizzou?

What would happen to the The Cattle Network? Would it fold into the Pac 12 network?

I don't see any MWC teams making the grade to jump to the Pac 12. I know Utah did it, but they made by their fingernails. What a mess.

Back