What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas being texas...

The situation is weird to me because the boosters are mad about being charged for certain events as Patterson is trying to increase revenue but they will not donate more. So instead, they want another athletic director and will "give more" as long as they are not charged for certain events. I guarantee if they donated more Patterson would not have to expand revenue sources to try and make up for the difference. Boosters are very stupid sometimes.

At a certain level, it's not the money to a booster. It's about being giving access and treated like a VIP. They don't want to be nickel and dimed on small things. i.e., don't charge them for admittance or drinks at a function & they'll make up for it with an extra $10k or more because they feel valued.

Could you imagine having to navigate the political #### show of Texas boosters? No thank you.

As for Patterson. There is trying to increase revenue and being stupid enough to nickel and dime said boosters

from phone

At a certain level, it's not the money to a booster. It's about being giving access and treated like a VIP. They don't want to be nickel and dimed on small things. i.e., don't charge them for admittance or drinks at a function & they'll make up for it with an extra $10k or more because they feel valued.

Yeah I get that. It just amazes me because if you are donating that amount of money to the AD you are obviously very passionate about it and to sit there and let the teams suffer because of egos is crazy.

Could you imagine having to navigate the political #### show of Texas boosters? No thank you.

As for Patterson. There is trying to increase revenue and being stupid enough to nickel and dime said boosters

from phone

It may be easier for an AD to have 1 or 2 billionaires than a whole bunch of them.

Joe Jamail is the big cigar and king maker who some think was responsible for contributing to the Mac Brown country club culture that created the hole UT is trying to dig out of now. The field at DKRM bares his name.

I'm glad he's not a CU booster.

JAMAIL_Joe-Jamail-in-his-office_JOEL-SALCIDO_1020.jpg

Then there's Red McCombs. What Red wants, Red gets. He famously said that the hire of Charlie Strong was a "kick in the face." His name is on the business school.
628x471.jpg

And Frank Denius has a knob to polish.
fw_small.png

Oil Tycoon Tex Moncrief and the politicians in his family is no shrinking violet.
hqdefault.jpg

And Mike Myers, too.
myers_mike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you unfamiliar with Joe Jamail, here is a video of him deposing a witness. Joe is the particularly aggressive one. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;ISW3_KT5PeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISW3_KT5PeY[/video]

It may be easier for an AD to have 1 or 2 billionaires than a whole bunch of them.

Joe Jamail is the big cigar and king maker who some think was responsible for contributing to the Mac Brown country club culture that created the hole UT is trying to dig out of now. The field at DKRM bares his name.

I'm glad he's not a CU booster.

JAMAIL_Joe-Jamail-in-his-office_JOEL-SALCIDO_1020.jpg

Then there's Red McCombs. What Red wants, Red gets. He famously said that the hire of Charlie Strong was a "kick in the face." His name is on the business school.
628x471.jpg

And Frank Denius has a knob to polish.
fw_small.png

Oil Tycoon Tex Moncrief and the politicians in his family is no shrinking violet.
hqdefault.jpg

And Mike Myers, too.
myers_mike.jpg

All of those guys have buildings or athletic venues on campus bearing their names. Those donations are huge business for them and with it comes egos the size of their checkbooks plus good ol' boy hubris. It's sickening but based on how they were able to grow the AD I'm also a little envious.

What Rick George has accomplished at CU is apples to oranges to what improvements Texas needs. They have the facilities already, save for the new basketball and tennis ones they'll need when the existing locations are razed for their med school construction. Texas' change needs to be a continued improvement of the personnel and the way they have been doing things within the AD for 30 years under DeLoss Dodds and his cronies. The trouble is that Patterson also needs to transform the culture without making too many enemies by coming in like he did and just making people uncomfortable and getting rid of them. A professional hardass CEO type who by all accounts made enemies in pro sports offices needs to change his demeanor when the college world requires so many private donations and those personalities need to be kept happy. I still think Oliver Luck would've understood what approach would be more appropriate and should have been the choice they closed on instead of Patterson. Now they are getting small victories like beer sales in the stadium but the bigger picture is that many powerful people are unhappy. The school's biggest asset is the one Patterson has failed to connect with.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spo...eate-something/nm25Y/#8b884e9f.3703420.735797

According to the Longhorn Foundation’s new loyalty points rankings, donating $1 million won’t even get you into the top 25. You’d rank 28th on the list of official donors with 19,201 names as of late Friday.

Donate a paltry $250,000, and you’d be back in the pack — a ho-hum 185th spot in line.

“Can any of them be athletic director, the ones that are complaining?” Jamail asked.

“Darrell Royal put it better than anybody. He was asked how many fans does the University of Texas have? He said, ‘We don’t have any. What we’ve got is about 400,000 people who went to the University of Texas who are now coaches at the University of Texas.’”

Back