What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Texas Guard Varez Ward out for season

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This really hurts UT's chances of getting to a Final 4 this year. Ward was a starter who did pretty much everything well for them. Not easy to replace. Tough break for the guy, too. Kind of a nasty injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4689749
Texas starting guard Varez Ward, injured before the No. 3 Longhorns' win over Pittsburgh on Tuesday night, has a ruptured quadriceps and will miss the rest of the season, the school announced Wednesday.

According to a statement from the school, an MRI exam showed Ward ruptured his right quadriceps tendon. He is expected to have surgery next week.

Ward, a sophomore, crumbled to the floor during pregame warm-ups. He was removed from the arena in a wheelchair.

"We all feel for Varez. Everyone within our program understands how much time and hard work Varez has put in, and he has been the most improved player on our team from the end of last season," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "He means a lot to this program. There is one thing for certain, he will be back."

In three games this season, Ward averaged 6.7 points and 3.0 rebounds per game and led the team in steals with seven.

Ward played pretty well last year down the stretch, though UT is loaded at guard. maybe not experienced 1's and 2's.....but freakish talent.

They've never had this kind of depth before, not even during their '03 Final Four run. Losing Ward this early will be an issue for them to deal with. His first and second half of his freshman year were night and day improvement. Even when healthy, I don't think he would have been a starter by January. The more interesting questions for them will be how much their veteran guards will contribute offensively and (most intriguing to me) if Gary Johnson ever figures it out mentally to play smart with his raw potential. He's had a couple of years and still takes more ill advised shots than should be allowed to remain in the game. Maybe Barnes has more big man options (read: fouls) to work with this year and personnel won't be an issue.

I still think Texas is the team to beat in the Big 12, and they have a great shot at making the Final Four. Sure, you need glue guys on your team in order to make it deep, but the Texas is loaded. They have a lot of time to figure out how to play without him.

I still think Texas is the team to beat in the Big 12, and they have a great shot at making the Final Four. Sure, you need glue guys on your team in order to make it deep, but the Texas is loaded. They have a lot of time to figure out how to play without him.

I say no matter how the roster stacks up, I'll always take Kansas as the favorite to win the regular season title. Kansas always looks more impressive in December too, as UT typically lays an egg in their neutral site games against established powers (U of A and Duke). I have a feeling they'll trail most if not all of their game with UNC.

Back