What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2013 CU vs CSU game

Vegas has CSU as a 2.5 pt favorite. Going into McElwain's third year vs CU with a 1st year coach leading a team coming off a historically bad year.

I'd take that as a win for CU and a slap in the face to CSU. Just sayin...

Win or lose, let's beat the **** out of some rammies.

Vegas has CSU as a 2.5 pt favorite. Going into McElwain's third year vs CU with a 1st year coach leading a team coming off a historically bad year.

I'd take that as a win for CU and a slap in the face to CSU. Just sayin...

Win or lose, let's beat the **** out of some rammies.
It's only Sparkles' 2nd year

You really just typed with a straight face?

And yes, I think it is fair to say that from 2010-present, the talent gap has shrunk considerably. Not everything can just be freely explained away by coaching, though you certainly seem to be trying very hard.

Agree with Duff that the talent has really shrunk.

Just using Rivals for the past four years for team rankings:

2013 CU 67, CSU 82

2012 CU 36, CSU 121

2011 CU 74, CSU 64

2010 CU 66, CSU 58

2011 was brutal for CU and most of the class is either gone or irrelevant. Thankfully the last couple years has been bad for the Rams so it helped swing things back I think.

Agree with Duff that the talent has really shrunk.

Just using Rivals for the past four years for team rankings:

2013 CU 67, CSU 82

2012 CU 36, CSU 121

2011 CU 74, CSU 64

2010 CU 66, CSU 58

2011 was brutal for CU and most of the class is either gone or irrelevant. Thankfully the last couple years has been bad for the Rams so it helped swing things back I think.

with most of that class gone it would mean 2011 was a lot worse than CSU's class that year. Also we've discussed this before but 2012 really should be more like 55, Embree over signed and the services give you credit for that.

Our 2012 class has taken huge hits too. We are nowhere near that #36 ranking that we got by sheer numbers of that class. The talent gap has narrowed and these numbers don't do it justice. That being said, F*** CSU and I can't wait till Mac takes Sparkles behind the woodshed in a couple weeks.

Our 2012 class has taken huge hits too. We are nowhere near that #36 ranking that we got by sheer numbers of that class. The talent gap has narrowed and these numbers don't do it justice. That being said, F*** CSU and I can't wait till Mac takes Sparkles behind the woodshed in a couple weeks.

:nod:

Considering how horrible we were last year and it being the first game under a new system, only being 2.5 pi favorites over us is kind of demeaning to the Lambs.

Of course, Lamb fans are crowing about it, which really nails how pathetic they are.

44K tickets sold.:lol:

I just think back to early, what was it, 2008? All of the comments in the BDC centered around CU fans claiming that this game was a disservice to football, played in a sterile environment, while the CSU fans claimed it was the best thing for the state of Colorado. Politicians weighed in and pressued the Mike Bohn to capitulate.

It's such a tragedy that this game (if it has to happen at all) isn't played on campus.

44K tickets sold.:lol:

How is CU at 3.5k student tix sold? I realize we suck but the demand is high for basketball. And yeah, we'll sell more when school starts, but this has to be an all-time low for this time period

I just think back to early, what was it, 2008? All of the comments in the BDC centered around CU fans claiming that this game was a disservice to football, played in a sterile environment, while the CSU fans claimed it was the best thing for the state of Colorado. Politicians weighed in and pressued the Mike Bohn to capitulate.

It's such a tragedy that this game (if it has to happen at all) isn't played on campus.

Hopefully George won't be such a pushover and when it comes to this series. Screw the political pressure, the media is gonna be anti-CU anyway.

And it's complete and utter bull**** that this game is part of the season ticket package when it's not our home game.

Revisionist history. Politicians got involved in the 80s to renew the series. Big Money got involved and they started the RMS in Denver in 1998 - in 2003(I think) Tharp announced to season ticket holders that when The contract was up with the Mile High Sports authority CU would play their games at Folsom and CSU could play their games wherever they wanted. Bohn came in and returned the game to Denver for money and extended the contract in 2009 to 2020. There has never been political pressure to play the game in Denver...it has all been about money.

What's strange is that move is so uncharacteristic of Bohn in scheduling matters. He rarely let money drive the decisions.

Revisionist history. Politicians got involved in the 80s to renew the series. Big Money got involved and they started the RMS in Denver in 1998 - in 2003(I think) Tharp announced to season ticket holders that when The contract was up with the Mile High Sports authority CU would play their games at Folsom and CSU could play their games wherever they wanted. Bohn came in and returned the game to Denver for money and extended the contract in 2009 to 2020. There has never been political pressure to play the game in Denver...it has all been about money.

It's not revisionist. It may be inaccurate, but back when the series was renewed, the word was that it was because there was pressure at the state level (might have been the governor that made the remarks). Definitely not revisionist. I'm not even sure it's inaccurate. I'm pretty sure that's how it was reported.

Doesn't Denver have some sort of Metropolitan Sports Commission or some such that's supposed to get big time sporting events to town?

That group is always lobbying to have the game at Mile High, IIRC, and it might be that they have some big political players on their side for this game.

All I know is, when I think of big time sporting events, I think of CU-CSU at Mile High. Does it get any bigger?

It's not revisionist. It may be inaccurate, but back when the series was renewed, the word was that it was because there was pressure at the state level (might have been the governor that made the remarks). Definitely not revisionist. I'm not even sure it's inaccurate. I'm pretty sure that's how it was reported.

In the 80s there were two state legislators that put a lot of pressure on CU to renew the series...but having the game in Denver has nothing to do with political pressure, initially it had to do with money and does to this day - but only CSU gets money out of it...CU gets very little extra revenue.

Call it whatever you like but there is no political pressure to have the game in Denver.

Doesn't Denver have some sort of Metropolitan Sports Commission or some such that's supposed to get big time sporting events to town?

That group is always lobbying to have the game at Mile High, IIRC, and it might be that they have some big political players on their side for this game.

All I know is, when I think of big time sporting events, I think of CU-CSU at Mile High. Does it get any bigger?

A lot of guessing going on there Alfred...Yes there is a group that manages the stadium and they do a very good job. They have been instrumental in getting sponsorships for the game but of course they have to otherwise they lose money. Still the game being in Denver was a Mike Bohn deal not some political conspiracy.

What's strange is that move is so uncharacteristic of Bohn in scheduling matters. He rarely let money drive the decisions.

I don't know if Bohn ever actually made decisions. I heard a rumor that he had to call DiStefano and ask for permission every time he wanted to use the bathroom

"Come watch us kick the **** out of the buffaloes"-Allegedly said by McElwhine at their freshmen convocation.

Obviously just pep rally talk, but there's been numerous reports that McElwhine is uber confident

That must be why he was fired for not running the AD enough like a business.

Sarcasm, guys.

CSU in Denver, one-off in Columbus, Friday night in Toledo after the original team bailed, and the one-off in Ann Arbor. Money was the driving force in scheduling.

"Come watch us kick the **** out of the buffaloes"-Allegedly said by McElwhine at their freshmen convocation.

Obviously just pep rally talk, but there's been numerous reports that McElwhine is uber confident

What else is the coach supposed to say to the fan base and the donors? Nothing to see here.

Ummm whys that? Same reports are saying the starting QB is the one who disappoints the least and their DL is not very good and is way too small.

tini...until we start kicking their ass on a regular basis, I would expect CSu to be confident every year.

Back