What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2015 Recruiting Class in '15

I'm optimistic that Gillam can return to his old form - if:
1) He recovers from his concussion issues
2) Stays otherwise healthy
3) Is able to get his weight back up to a healthy playing weight and stay there

Hmmm.... looking at that list, I may be more hopeful than optimistic...

Hoping that Watanabe comes in ready to play a lot in the middle. if this happens then they can move Gillam to Sam or even Will. This would take advantage of his ability to move in space and at the same time take him out of the meat grinder in the middle reducing the amount of hard contact he takes.

Less chance of having the concussions re-occur and also his lighter frame wouldn't be as much of a disadvantage on the edge.

need Laguda to stay at S so they can move Chidobe back to nickel.

With Bell, TT, Chidobe, White and Mosley, they have options at Safety and/or nickel. LB is the the weakest position on defense and if they can convert a big, athletic S to one of the OLB positions, I think they would be smart to do so. They need as much speed and athleticism on the field as possible and big, physical S moving to LB can be a seem-less conversion if the S can get there physically.

With Bell, TT, Chidobe, White and Mosley, they have options at Safety and/or nickel. LB is the the weakest position on defense and if they can convert a big, athletic S to one of the OLB positions, I think they would be smart to do so. They need as much speed and athleticism on the field as possible and big, physical S moving to LB can be a seem-less conversion if the S can get there physically.
We were starting walk-ons at the end of the year at the safety positions due to lack of depth and injury issues. If we are going to move a guy from Safety to Linebacker, I would prefer to do it when they are freshman and give them a couple years to add weight. It sounds like the staff plans on using Laguda at Safety.

We were starting walk-ons at the end of the year at the safety positions due to lack of depth and injury issues. If we are going to move a guy from Safety to Linebacker, I would prefer to do it when they are freshman and give them a couple years to add weight. It sounds like the staff plans on using Laguda at Safety.

I'd rather bank on our secondary staying healthy this year than keeping our LB corps, that is already the weakness of our team, the same as it is on paper right now.

I'd rather bank on our secondary staying healthy this year than keeping our LB corps, that is already the weakness of our team, the same as it is on paper right now.
LB corp is not in good shape however we go about it. If Laguda can get off of blocks and be effective, I am all about it. However, I haven't seen this approach work yet with this staff, albeit a small sample. One thing is for sure, this spring will have tons of competition at every position. Something we haven't had in a very, very long time.

I'm thinking the staff is hoping either Jimmy Gilbert, Shaver,Kafovalu,McCartney' length to be used as OLB in a 3-3-5 where they line up on the strong side?!
With having Carrell,Jackson,Solice,Hennington,Tupou,Tuiloma (315 lbs.)Mitthews,Frank,Lopez,Robbins & or Kafovalu vie for passing down w/ their hand down.

Linebackers: Watanabe in the middle,Gilliam,Olugbode,Rippy(please show up),Falo and maybe White or any of the above

In the back: TT,Bell, White(? interchangeable) in the middle Backups Laguda,Mosely and move Awuzie here

On the Islands; Crowley,Witherspoon,Sanchez,Fr. Oliver or Fisher push for time...

Allot of the LB's & DL will be interchangeable on the edge based on the oponent. I'm hoping Gilbert can blossum...

Last edited:
LB corp is not in good shape however we go about it. If Laguda can get off of blocks and be effective, I am all about it. However, I haven't seen this approach work yet with this staff, albeit a small sample. One thing is for sure, this spring will have tons of competition at every position. Something we haven't had in a very, very long time.

I'll refer to my comment in the "Defensive Front 7" thread, but I actually think our personnel could be well suited for the 3-3-5. Lets us have 3 traditional LBs, with 2 hybrid LB/S types (two guys I'd love to see there are Laguda and White) and then the single high safety (TT) and CBs playing a base Cover 3 over top. Those 2 hybrid guys are the defense's main contain players in the run, but also control the release of the #2 receivers and kind of squat in the "low hole" or play "curl to flat" zone coverage. Creates a lot of confusing coverage and blitz options without having to actively disguise them.

I guess we can count on young players and still win games. Interesting POV change in this thread. If we are playing more than a couple young guys regularly in 2015, MacIntyre really dropped the ball in recruiting the first couple classes.

I guess we can count on young players and still win games. Interesting POV change in this thread. If we are playing more than a couple young guys regularly in 2015, MacIntyre really dropped the ball in recruiting the first couple classes.

You can win while counting on some young players. Problem is when all of your players are young players.

The 2013 class was all but full when he took over and he didn't yet know what he had. The 2014 class was his first full class. I think you are a year early in that statement.

Every program has guys emerge early and play - that's not a indictment of recruiting, rather the opposite.
My thinking is that he should be bringing in guys each and every year that are better than the year before and some of those guys will take the position right away and some will take a few years.

Attrition is the same way. Instead of losing half your class because they are in trouble, ineligible or don't give a damn, you will want attrition because the kids are increasingly finding that the younger guys are just better than they are.

I'm impressed we were able to shore up the DL so well, but disappointed in the LB recruitment and development. As people have noted, LB is the weak part of the team.

Here's my take on the strongest to weakest player groups:
OL
RB
DL
WR
QB
DB
LB

If I'm right, this bodes well for our team as I believe you need great line play and a good running game to win.

I'm impressed we were able to shore up the DL so well, but disappointed in the LB recruitment and development. As people have noted, LB is the weak part of the team.

Here's my take on the strongest to weakest player groups:
OL
RB
DL
WR
QB
DB
LB

If I'm right, this bodes well for our team as I believe you need great line play and a good running game to win.

Wow, we see the team quite differently.

So most posters went overboard with the youth excuse and talking about MacIntyre taking mostly developmental players? Glad we agree. Just hard keeping up with the different recruiting spins around here.

I'll refer to my comment in the "Defensive Front 7" thread, but I actually think our personnel could be well suited for the 3-3-5. Lets us have 3 traditional LBs, with 2 hybrid LB/S types (two guys I'd love to see there are Laguda and White) and then the single high safety (TT) and CBs playing a base Cover 3 over top. Those 2 hybrid guys are the defense's main contain players in the run, but also control the release of the #2 receivers and kind of squat in the "low hole" or play "curl to flat" zone coverage. Creates a lot of confusing coverage and blitz options without having to actively disguise them.

I like what you've said except I'd want White as a High Safety because of his height & speed, to that of TT. But then you want his size close to the line of scrimmage too!
Maybe they create a Monster Back? Jay Jay Wilson would have been perfect here..me thinks.

Last edited:
I like what you've said except I'd want White as a High Safety because of his height & speed, to that of TT. But then you want his size close to the line of scrimmage too!
Maybe they create a Monster Back? Jay Jay Wilson would have been perfect here..me thinks.

335.jpg

This is essentially the base 3-3-5 (stack) alignment. The "S" and "$" positions are the hybrid players, while you get the "F" as the single high safety. Both the "S" and "$" have the ability to roll back and give a 2 deep safety look with the F, depending on the defense called or offensive formation. The main job of the S and $ are to set the edge and keep contain in the run game and control the release of the #2 relievers (as shown in the picture against a 2x2 set) in the passing game. Both of those guys are essentially heavy hitters that are athletic enough to cover, when asked. I believe White and Laguda are the two guys who have that skill set, so that's the reason I mentioned them in those spots.

Back