What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: Breaking News In Boulder

Lord I've never wanted to FF past Thanksgiving and the Nowledge U. game so much. I just want to get to Saturday already and get this drama done!

You may want pick Sunday as your target day. :thumbsup:

Also, why skip the game? We get so few Buff games each year. As painful as the Hawk era has been, it is still CU Football.

At least for me, kNu week means 4 hours of tailgating in Boulder, time with great friends that I haven't seen since last Thanksgiving and a potential beatdown of the Skers.

This better not be true.

Embattled CU football coach Dan Hawkins is telling his assistants that he'll be back for another year.

Two sources inside the CU football progam told CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins recently met with Unversity Chancellor Phil DiStefano and came away from the meeting with the understanding that he's safe for another year no matter what happens on Friday against Nebraska.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/CU.Hawkins.Buffs.2.1333000.html

This is exactly what should be reported whether he is actually safe or not. Why would the AD report that he will be let go after the NU game? If they did this they might as well just let him go now. It wouldn't make any sense.

NO Dammit... We could have let Talkins go after the Iowa State game, let him finish the year and start our coaching search.. Instead we are wasting time speculating on this fools job status when he has not only failed on the football field, he's failed the players.

I'm so sick and tired of this asshat coach being the number one story about the Buffs.. Might as well just change the damn nickname to the Colorado Talkins because the administration sure don't give a crap about the players in the program..

And hey Hagan. F YOU.. We were patient for four damn years and you can't coach your talent.. You should be the 2nd guy who gets the bus ticket out of town with Talkins.. Throw in Riddle at number 3..

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13863196

Last edited:

This is exactly what should be reported whether he is actually safe or not. Why would the AD report that he will be let go after the NU game? If they did this they might as well just let him go now. It wouldn't make any sense.

:yeahthat:

Further. A big F U to D. Hagan? He may not be a good coach but the F U is reserved for the opponent this week.

NO Dammit... We could have let Talkins go after the Iowa State game, let him finish the year and start our coaching search.. Instead we are wasting time speculating on this fools job status when he has not only failed on the football field, he's failed the players.

You think we haven't done that already? I'm sure everything is being taken care of. Hopefully the transition is smooth.

You think we haven't done that already? I'm sure everything is being taken care of. Hopefully the transition is smooth.

I meant a public search.. Just like Tenn did last year.. The is or is he not coming back is not good for the program.. Make a damn decision and move on..

Hawk tells staff he's back next year

"Embattled CU football coach Dan Hawkins is telling his assistants that he'll be back for another year.

Two sources inside the CU football progam told CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins recently met with Unversity Chancellor Phil DiStefano and came away from the meeting with the understanding that he's safe for another year no matter what happens on Friday against Nebraska."

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/CU.Hawkins.Buffs.2.1333000.html

Re: Hawk tells staff he's back next year

We landed on the moon!

dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png

Yeah, I saw that on Channel 4 last night.

who knows anymore what is going on? Until an announcement is made to the contrary, Hawkins is our coach.

Saw the report on News4 last night. Vic really could not believe he was safe but was working with what he had been told. Nobody could verify the story for him. If this does go down with Hawkins coming back, the program will be in trouoble next year. Season ticket holders are going to drop like flies. Who knows really. We will see.

The fact that all of the recruiting visits for this weekend have been cancelled, and all of the recruiting visits for the month of December have been cancelled, tells me that there is no chance Hawkins comes back next year.

If he was really coming back next year, they wouldn't cancel all of his recruiting visits - especially with Nebraska being one of the biggest games of the season.

If he is allowed back, this is the final nail in the coffin. CU football will be dead.

I think you are over reacting a bit.

:yeahthat:

This year has been hard, so was the last one. But CU football will survive whatever decision is made. We don't know yet if we are going for the amputation or trying to set the bone and hope gangrene doesn't set in, but CU football will be back.

Just sent this letter to DiStefano:

Chancellor DiStefano,

This is the fist time that I have written to you with regards to the football program. I am a proud 2 time graduate of this great University and love it with all of my heart. You and I spoke under the tent in Austin this year about the current situation with the Buffs and how the results were not acceptable. The one thing we agreed upon was that there needed to be a change in what we had been seeing on the field with the football team. As you know, the football team is the cash cow for the athletic department. I hope basketball will get into the black so we can enjoy 2 revenue generating sports like many universities, but right now that just is not the case. Without the revenue football delivers to the athletic department, CU is a D2 school. We already compete in the minimum number of sports to be a D1 school so any attrition in those numbers is not possible at this point. When you combine this with how little financial support the actual University provides to the Athletic department, especially when compared to other big time Universities, football becomes even more important. It is now at serious risk.

With all of this said, there just is not enough progress with the football team to entrust it to Coach Hawkins for another year. After 4 years we are taking steps backwards on the field with excuses about youth, the mess he was left with, and the tough environment at CU. Is the program's image better? Yes. Hawk has done a wonderful job in this area. It is too bad that you do not win conference and national championships on image alone. CU would be on top of that ranking. Are we young? Not any younger than many of the teams that are beating CU now. Teams with young players and 1st year coaches. Their programs are clean. Their progarms are young. They have academic requirements to gain entrance. They do not undersign every single class and end up with 70-75 scholarship athletes playing football.

It is possible to be clean, have second tier facilities, have academic expectations and win. It is happening all over the country. Look at Cincy, Stanford, Northwestern. First year coaches are having a feast with Dan and he is being outcoached every week. First year coaches at Iowa State and Toledo. Second year coaches as well such as Fairchild at CSU. The body of work put together by Coach Hawk is just not up to the standard for CU.

I have held my tickets and donated $3-5K to the University every year for more than 20 years. I know that is not the biggest number you all deal with from a doner stand point, but there are a lot more of people like me that give what they can rather than drop the big donations on CU. There are many of us that will not be coming back if a change is not made. I will stop donating and coming up from Highlands Ranch next year if Hawk comes back. I want to see a committment to the program and winning. That means a new coach. Bottom line. He has had enough time to prove that he is not the correct person for this job. I will be happy to increase my donations to the CU and have over time and will continue to do so if a change is made. If not, I am going to take a break until you, Mr, Bohn and Coach Hawkins are replaced.

Go Buffs!

Last edited:

If this is true, things are screwed up beyond immediate repair in Boulder and we are looking at a stretch where mediocraty would be an improvement. I don't see any signs that Hawk and his staff have what it takes to change the on field results of this team and we are sliding backwards.

On the other side of things Lombardi does not exactly have a stellar record of accuracy in terms of his "scoops." This is especially true as related to CU football. He is one voice, most of the other information out there points a completely different direction.

One has to wonder if Hawk still sees some hope for keeping his job and he or someone close to him is trying to give DiStefano and the administration another opportunity to change their decision and keep him around another year.

Bottom line for me is....as others have mentioned....if they cancelled all recruiting visits, the end is near. What other rationale could there be?

Bottom line for me is....as others have mentioned....if they cancelled all recruiting visits, the end is near. What other rationale could there be?

Hawk thinks he can have the first national champion composed of entirely walk-ons and transfers.

Two juiceboxes in every lunchbucket. Win the Hawkins way!!!

I hope he cums back; he deserves another chance to rite the ship one more year. Get the very last stain of GB's ickiness out of the program, and we get 9-10 wins easy next year. Shoulder to Shoulder in Boulder!

You're missing a letter in your username.

And hey Hagan. F YOU.. We were patient for four damn years and you can't coach your talent.. You should be the 2nd guy who gets the bus ticket out of town with Talkins.. Throw in Riddle at number 3..

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13863196

One of the things I picked out of the article was that he felt a number of the young men being coached would go on to be good coaches.

I guess that's nice but I would have rather heard that a number of the guys would go on to be successful players in the NFL.

I wonder if any of our seniors will be drafted this year??

As I read Hagan's comments and Brooks weekly brouhaha this morning it all starts to sound like the old adage - "making lemons out of lemonade"

The seasons results have been a lemon this year and you can paint it anyway you want and it will still be a lemon.

I hope he cums back; he deserves another chance to rite the ship one more year. Get the very last stain of GB's ickiness out of the program, and we get 9-10 wins easy next year. Shoulder to Shoulder in Boulder!

Why not add no excuses to your post. Have you bothered to look at the schedule or paid attention to what Hawk has done the last four seasons?

and maybe mis-keyed "double f" when he meant " double t". they are right next to each other.

That don't make no sense. Maybe you mispelled your m which should have been a "d" or maybe you kan't spell good at all, and meant to spell this instead d-i-c-k c-h-e-e-z-e.

Good day, sir.

Hawk has had to clean up the mess GB made. You don't hear about no rapes, no Katie stuff being terrible or anything like that. No Mary Keenan Lacy witchunt. CU is coming back and it's because of Hawk. Bank on it.

Don't feed the trolls!

I won't renew my season tickets if he is back. I will still go to a few games, they do great deals when they want to appear to fill the staduim.

People in my section this year had tickets 1/2 to 1/3 off of what I paid for 3 of the games.

Hawk's PR war begins...

IMO, Hawk cannot accept that the failure to be competitive has anything to do with him. His ego is too big for that. Therefore, any criticism is the fault of somebody or something else.

Two things are going on here: (1) DiStefano has overruled Bohn and Hawk is going to stay, or (2) Hawk knows he is gone and is launching his PR war.

If it is option (1), CU is playing with fire. The heat will be unbearable as soon as the team loses their first game, which will come early given the schedule and Hawk's ineptitude. Empty stadiums, another piss poor finish, it could set CU back years, if Hawk hasn't already done that.

If it is (2), prepare for more "We did it the right way and CU went for the easy out", "I was told all along I was safe until the last minute", "Other coaches told me not to go there", "Facilities and fan support are not there" as Hawk blames everybody and everything for his failures. Oh yeah, he'll weasel every dime he can out of the University under the contract. You have to remember doing things the right way means whatever is best for Danny.

Hawk cannot leave fast enough for me at this point.

Re: Hawk's PR war begins...

Another possibility is that Channel 4 got bad information. I have not seen this confirmed anywhere else.

Back